Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is T-Sprint the end of USCC?

If T-Sprint happens, they would have about twice as many customers. Does that mean that they largely overbuild USCC's territory, cut off most of their roaming revenue, and steal customers, causing USCC to implode? Or are those areas still too rural for T-Mobile to be interested in?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Neither company has ever shown any particular interest in serving rural customers.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Neither company has ever shown any particular interest in serving rural customers.
    T-Mobile is building out a LOT of rural coverage. Sure, they're still nowhere near AT&T and Verizon, but a combined company might look at their roaming bill and start picking off the most expensive towers to overbuild, which could put a real dent in USCC's bottom line even if they're not a direct competitor.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Tmobile's coverage is typically as thin as they can get away with in many rural locations. In my use in many rural areas (Vermont, upstate NY, northern and UP of Michigan, coastal California), sites are fewer and further between. This leaves either gaps in coverage or outdoor/vehicle only 'at best'. I don't see TMobile building out until they purchase Sprint, as Sprint customers that roam on VZW will be hurting.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Tmobile's coverage is typically as thin as they can get away with in many rural locations. In my use in many rural areas (Vermont, upstate NY, northern and UP of Michigan, coastal California), sites are fewer and further between. This leaves either gaps in coverage or outdoor/vehicle only 'at best'. I don't see TMobile building out until they purchase Sprint, as Sprint customers that roam on VZW will be hurting.
    This is absolutely true. T-Mobile is notorious for low-quality rural coverage including their infamous single 5x5 on B12 in many areas. However, even with some very spread out sites, they could really crank the screws down on USCC by cherry picking the best/most used roaming sites to overbuild. I'm thinking more in terms of killing roaming revenue than poaching customers per se.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    If T-Sprint happens, they would have about twice as many customers. Does that mean that they largely overbuild USCC's territory, cut off most of their roaming revenue, and steal customers, causing USCC to implode? Or are those areas still too rural for T-Mobile to be interested in?
    USCC only has about 5 million customers. Even Sprint has like 55 million. Then there is Cspire that has about one million customers in mainly Mississippi. They will all survive for a few years with loyal customers. AT&T and Verizon already cover most of USCC Native areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What’s “USCC”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    T-Mobile is building out a LOT of rural coverage. .......
    IN my experience, what they try to build is a rural coverage map, covered with lots of nice looking magenta ink, but they show little interest in providing actual, reliable, rural service. Just MOH. I'm sure things can change.

Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    What’s “USCC”?
    Assuming this is a serious question. It's US Cellular Corp. The 5th largest wireless carrier in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    .... Then there is Cspire that has about one million customers in mainly Mississippi. ....
    There's my question. What will happen to CSpire once their special relationship with Sprint ends? They hitched themselves to a catatonic horse (Sprint) and an obsolete technology (CDMA).
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There's my question. What will happen to CSpire once their special relationship with Sprint ends? They hitched themselves to a catatonic horse (Sprint) and an obsolete technology (CDMA).
    They will just have to move to an all LTE network, they should have been preparing for CDMA turn down as Verizon is readying to phase theirs out.

SoLINC went straight from iDEN to LTE only in just 2 years. No reason CSpire can't do the same thing... Unless money is the issue for them.

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Cspire has both band 12 and band 71

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Cspire has both band 12 and band 71
    Yes but VoLTE seems to be a problem for them. They were insisting that T-Sprint should be forced to maintain a CDMA network for something like 6 years after the merger.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes but VoLTE seems to be a problem for them. They were insisting that T-Sprint should be forced to maintain a CDMA network for something like 6 years after the merger.
    Do they even have VoLTE deployed there? Also I wonder what will happen to the B41 they are leasing from Sprint when the deal goes through..

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    USCC only has about 5 million customers. Even Sprint has like 55 million. Then there is Cspire that has about one million customers in mainly Mississippi. They will all survive for a few years with loyal customers. AT&T and Verizon already cover most of USCC Native areas.
    But how sustainable is USCC without roaming revenue from T-Mobile and Sprint? It seems that a lot of their business is roaming.

IN my experience, what they try to build is a rural coverage map, covered with lots of nice looking magenta ink, but they show little interest in providing actual, reliable, rural service. Just MOH. I'm sure things can change.
    You're absolutely right. It's a bare minimum to color in the map. But they are real sites, and if they overbuild USCC with those types of sites, they will take a lot of roaming revenue away from them, even if they don't directly compete for customers in those rural areas.

And Shentel? And does USCC and Southern LINC get screwed on their roaming? And what about Google Fi?

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    SoLINC went straight from iDEN to LTE only in just 2 years. No reason CSpire can't do the same thing... Unless money is the issue for them.
    We don't know that SoLINC is even remotely profitable.... it may well not be. The Southern Company wants SoLINC for themselves, so they may well have decided that the CAPEX for the upgrade was a budget item from the utility side, and selling access just helps with OPEX.

That's... nuts. If Sprint stays on it's own, they probably will have CDMA for 6 years, but even than, that's pretty insane as a requirement. C-Spire could just use VoLTE when roaming, and keep CDMA on their own network.
    Last edited by SoxFan76; 07-09-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: combine posts

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's pretty much the way I see it. Rural coverage in many areas 'does work'... as long as you are outdoors, or along a highway. Speeds typically are decent and usable - where service has a decent signal. The typical problem is - T-Mobile has built rurally to handle primarily highway traffic, and not much more. Places like Michigan (not in the UP) are usable on I-75. Go indoors (eg. Walmart/Lumber Jack/Tim Horton) and you'll be lucky to have service. This is not unique to this location, but more of a typical T-Mobile rural deployment. They don't expect (currently) to sway consumers from AT&T/Verizon in general, but give 'some sense' of coverage for highway driving urban customers, IMHO. I do try to keep them honest on their coverage maps.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    We don't know that SoLINC is even remotely profitable.... it may well not be. The Southern Company wants SoLINC for themselves, so they may well have decided that the CAPEX for the upgrade was a budget item from the utility side, and selling access just helps with OPEX....
    SouthernLINC was a way for Southern Company to offset the costs and somewhat monetize the conversion of their analog electrical maintenance radio network to digital. Making a profit as a stand-alone wireless provider was never an issue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast