Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    .....Maybe SouthernLINC has outrageous roaming rates? Their prices are outrageous for their own customers and no unlimited data, so I can't imagine they'd provide a favorable unlimited roaming agreement.
    Then what you're suggesting is that SouthernLINC is paying T-Mobile's "rack rates" to roam and if they even allow others to roam (I believe they're required to) their "rack rates" are sky high. Where I'm coming from is that I live in Mississippi. If you look at T-Mobile's coverage map of Mississippi, it looks like a fishnet. They are starting to correct that with some band 71 in the north of the state but where I live it's still all mid-band and will be for a couple of years. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve me keeping a 2nd phone.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Then what you're suggesting is that SouthernLINC is paying T-Mobile's "rack rates" to roam and if they even allow others to roam (I believe they're required to) their "rack rates" are sky high. Where I'm coming from is that I live in Mississippi. If you look at T-Mobile's coverage map of Mississippi, it looks like a fishnet. They are starting to correct that with some band 71 in the north of the state but where I live it's still all mid-band and will be for a couple of years. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve me keeping a 2nd phone.
    I'm unsure since they are a private and somewhat secretive company regarding that business model and plans, but since they only can run 3MHz I would think their roaming rates would be a bit more expensive. Not totally sure.

I totally feel your struggles with coverage there. I travel to Mississippi and notice once I'm off I-10 a few miles the coverage drops off fairly quickly. It's worse than Alabama's rural coverage by a great margin.

I would probably move over to Verizon or AT&T there or one of their MVNOs. Right now Visible by Verizon is $40 for uncapped and unlimited data.

You could try it out and come back to T-Mobile unless you have a super great deal on a grandfathered plan.

It's going to be a few years before Mississippi has significant improvements I'm afraid. Adding Band 71 will definitely help thicken out the coverage, but they need more physical cell sites.

That's part of the problem here in rural Alabama. T-Mobile has added Band 12 to almost every site, but they have not really built any new sites. It helps the coverage map look full, but in reality it only gives 1-2 bars of somewhat usable LTE outdoors, and nothing inside a lot of times.

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    ...I would probably move over to Verizon or AT&T there or one of their MVNOs. Right now Visible by Verizon is $40 for uncapped and unlimited data.

You could try it out and come back to T-Mobile unless you have a super great deal on a grandfathered plan.

It's going to be a few years before Mississippi has significant improvements I'm afraid. Adding Band 71 will definitely help thicken out the coverage, but they need more physical cell sites.....
    I've been pretty happy with T-Mobile and our $60 55+ plan. (Which is grandfathered, so I could never get that rate back.) It covers me in 95% of situations and my PagePlus PAYG covers me in 95% of the rest. AFAIK, 911 will even grab SouthernLINC if it comes down to that.

My current concern is that my son will be building a house out in the middle of no-freaking-where, half way between Brandon and Puckett. While T-Mobile recently lit up a tower in Puckett, it's an isolated island of coverage with dead space all around. If they co-locate a new site on a certain existing tower, we'll be golden. If not, I may be helping the son install an outdoor WiFi access point to cover the yard around his new place.

My general gripe is that T-Mobile is too parsimonious with roaming. They seem scared to death that a customer might roam somewhere where they could use T-Mobile's signal. This causes them to be overly heavy-handed with the LAC blocking.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I've been pretty happy with T-Mobile and our $60 55+ plan. (Which is grandfathered, so I could never get that rate back.) It covers me in 95% of situations and my PagePlus PAYG covers me in 95% of the rest. AFAIK, 911 will even grab SouthernLINC if it comes down to that.

My current concern is that my son will be building a house out in the middle of no-freaking-where, half way between Brandon and Puckett. While T-Mobile recently lit up a tower in Puckett, it's an isolated island of coverage with dead space all around. If they co-locate a new site on a certain existing tower, we'll be golden. If not, I may be helping the son install an outdoor WiFi access point to cover the yard around his new place.

My general gripe is that T-Mobile is too parsimonious with roaming. They seem scared to death that a customer might roam somewhere where they could use T-Mobile's signal. This causes them to be overly heavy-handed with the LAC blocking.
    You could request a T-Mobile LTE Cellspot that plugs into the router using Ethernet. I have one placed in a window facing the front yard and it covers it fairly well. May be cheaper and more reliable / powerful than WiFi.

I’m hoping 911 would still go over SouthernLINC if the phone supported Band 26. I’m not sure what that entails though being an all LTE network. I know that placing my LINC SIM into my iPhone XS results in no signal.

Customer service told me that the network only works with the Sonim XP8 and XP5S, and is programmed by the IMEI, but that may just be for general usage and PTT.

You’re right about them being too stingy with roaming though. I guess because they have manual network selection enabled, they are scared customers will force roam. They could do like AT&T & Verizon by disabling manual network selection..

IIRC they have always been this way though. Before they built out in rural Alabama around 2013, they had AT&T GSM roaming, but you’d have to drive about 5-10 miles from their last tower to connect to roaming. They wanted a huge buffer.

SoLINC is the opposite. As soon as I leave their coverage area going into TN, my phone will immediately hand off to T-Mobile when their signal is unusable. Of course we have tiered data so they control roaming by those means.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is T-Sprint the end of USCC?

Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    I'm not entirely sure USCC's business model relies on roaming revenue during travel season. I agree, it potentially has some impact on their bottom line. If they loose enough revenue to make an impact, they'll just raise their plan prices by a few dollars to make it up.
    A few dollars starts putting pricing in between T-Mobile and T/VZ, so that could additionally cause churn.

Many of the rural areas of SW Oklahoma and eastern Kansas used to be fairly covered by AT&T and USCC roaming. T-Mobile lit up bands 2, 4, and 71 in much of those areas so roaming revenue is already taking a hit. This can escalate quick post-merger, especially if T-Mobile gets band 71 lit up in USCC heavy areas such as Nebraska and Wisconsin.
    Those areas Sprint doesn’t have a lot right now but USCC does. Those areas are going to be some big factors in USCC’s bottom line.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    A few dollars starts putting pricing in between T-Mobile and T/VZ, so that could additionally cause churn.

Many of the rural areas of SW Oklahoma and eastern Kansas used to be fairly covered by AT&T and USCC roaming. T-Mobile lit up bands 2, 4, and 71 in much of those areas so roaming revenue is already taking a hit. This can escalate quick post-merger, especially if T-Mobile gets band 71 lit up in USCC heavy areas such as Nebraska and Wisconsin.
    Those areas Sprint doesn’t have a lot right now but USCC does. Those areas are going to be some big factors in USCC’s bottom line.
    That's valid. I didn't think of the snowball effect. Especially in regards to roaming revenue. I really wonder what the USCC demographic is. My feeling is- the people who have always been on USCC, entire family is on USCC, and don't care enough about the latest tech/cellular features to switch to a more forward thinking company. The way I see it currently, USCC isn't really that special, they charge Verizon/ATT rates, but a ton of people still subscribe. Is USCC less susceptible to churn?

It would be nice to see USCC get a jump start on the 5G deployment. I said in another post, it could be promising to fixed internet folks and people that live in smaller cities. ... https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4353-5G-coming

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's true, the USCC roaming revenue from Sprint could go away on day one. I was thinking of T-Mobile building out new coverage in the future with both carriers together, but it's even worse than that.

My feeling is- the people who have always been on USCC, entire family is on USCC, and don't care enough about the latest tech/cellular features to switch to a more forward thinking company. The way I see it currently, USCC isn't really that special, they charge Verizon/ATT rates, but a ton of people still subscribe. Is USCC less susceptible to churn?
    They have better coverage in a lot of rural markets, and being one of two strong competitors in many of those markets since they are a cellular carrier, they surely have a following. The problem is, there just aren't that many customers out in those areas.

My sense is that if USCC goes kaput, then they get broken up between T and VZ one way or the other, with one buying them and divesting the overlapping cellular markets to the other.

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    My sense is that if USCC goes kaput, then they get broken up between T and VZ one way or the other, with one buying them and divesting the overlapping cellular markets to the other.
    I almost wish this T-Mobile/Sprint merger involved USCC. Sprint merging with USCC would be more effective (at least at first), since they use the same CDMA network and have less overlap. T-Mobile merging with USCC would be nice in terms of spectrum acquisition. USCC holds a lot of unused spectrum outside of their market areas - https://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I almost wish this T-Mobile/Sprint merger involved USCC. Sprint merging with USCC would be more effective (at least at first), since they use the same CDMA network and have less overlap. T-Mobile merging with USCC would be nice in terms of spectrum acquisition. USCC holds a lot of unused spectrum outside of their market areas - https://specmap.sequence-omega.net/
    I would have agreed several years ago, but I think the ship has sailed there. I wish that MetroPCS and Cricket had merged with Sprint and USCC to form a super-CDMA carrier back in the day, but that didn't happen and T-Mobile and AT&T were allowed to gobble them up.

The challenge for Sprint and USCC is that their target markets are completely the opposite of each other. It doesn't mean that they couldn't continue to operate both ends of the spectrum, but it would be a tough business to run and could really harm the legacy USCC markets. I think USCC's best case scenario would be that the merger falls through, and they could try to get all 4 carriers on line with VoLTE roaming to plug the carious holes and gaps in their networks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3