Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: HSN junkie

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Me, at 62, I'm old-fashioned, I still use cash for most small items at stores; I use credit cards for big purchases and at the fuel pumps. I've used NFC only one time at McDonalds just for the novelty of it.
    It is surprising how many people still pay cash in stores these days. I mostly pay with debit cards, and seldom carry over $10 in cash.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I mostly pay with debit cards, and seldom carry over $10 in cash.
    I prefer credit cards over debit cards. Recently, I opened some online checking accounts and in order to meet the requirements to get the sign-up bonus you have to make x number of transactions with the debit card. What bothers me is that although some stores require you to enter the PIN when making the purchase, some stores don't, especially when buying things online like at Amazon.com. If your debit card is lost, your money can be gone in a hurry.
    Last edited by hpham; 07-11-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: correct misspelling

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    What do you consider 'old'?
    Anyone older than 70 years and 3 months! Week hands, week knees, week brains.
    Forgets things going to basement. Leaves potatos in microwave and eats eggs alone.....
    Old timers desease. My friesta 2 was hard to find and press the button through the case.
    Here is a guaranteed old person.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I prefer credit cars over debit cards. Recently, I opened some online checking accounts and in order to meet the requirements to get the sign-up bonus you have to make x number of transactions with the debit card. What bothers me is that although some stores require you to enter the PIN when making the purchase, some stores don't, especially when buying things online like at Amazon.com. If your debit card is lost, your money can be gone in a hurry.
    My bank says not to worry. If I report the loss in 30 days, I am covered. I get high interest rates on my checking balance up to 15,000 bucks if I make 12 transactions in a month. I have never had a problem. I dont pay with my smart phone. If someone gets that, they see a bunch of goofy pics and stupid apps....

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What bothers me is that although some stores require you to enter the PIN when making the purchase, some stores don't, especially when buying things online like at Amazon.com. If your debit card is lost, your money can be gone in a hurry.
    Check the terms for liability limits.
    Online places like Amazon process with the same security as a CC. The CCV on the back is a big part of that.

And most stores you can select to process as credit or debit.

And all the new cards, CC or DC, are chipped and PIN enabled for most point-of-sale terminals.

What I dislike most is the no PIN, no signature places like fast food or airport.

Also, two accounts. One is the working account for day to day expenses. But most funds are in another account with a different, unused card. Easy, immediate transfers between them but limits my short term damage (and long term limited by liability terms).

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    Forgets things going to basement. Leaves potatos in microwave and eats eggs alone.....
    Old timers desease.
    I've had CRS since age 25. Doesn't mean old.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It is surprising how many people still pay cash in stores these days. I mostly pay with debit cards, and seldom carry over $10 in cash.
    I only use cash. Never carry CC. They are buried in my floor boards at home. Only come out when I buy gift cards so as to get $$ off my gas price. If someone wants what I carry, they ain't getting much.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Are you speaking about NFC chips or the common EMV chips on bank and credit cards? Gas stations around here don't even have card chip readers at the pump, and you still use the magnetic strip. I don't go to big retailers very much, so don't know what they have for pay options.
    No, not the gold thing that looks like a SIM chip.

I mean the squiggly wire thing that is hidden within a plastic covering. On my Galaxy S5, maybe S3, it was anchored to the battery and you had to get a replacement battery with the same thing or you wouldn't have NFC. I don't know where they put the wires now.

On a CC, it's a tiny bump within the CC like on an ID badge. Protected in there.

The gas pumps still use the magnetic strip, that is unfortunately true. Thieves can plant skimmers on those.

But some gas pumps also have a panel with a list of participating partners and a radiation wave symbol where the contact area is. Like you see in stores above the pin pad.

Supposedly, the CC companies have a dollar limit on NFC transactions. It's supposed to be for grab and go things like a sandwich. The CC companies are supposedly good about dealing with fraudulent transactions, don't know. Also, supposedly the transaction fee is cheaper for the merchant than it usually is for small purchases. So the merchant gets a break and the CC gets business.

I had phones that could do NFC, but I sure as heck had that thing turned off. It was initially marketed as a way to transfer files between phones. The ads showed people bumping their phones together and acting like it was the greatest thing ever to spill your personal business all over the place. Now they do that on Facebook and NFC is for other things.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My bank offers a version of a debit card that is PIN mandatory. It is not a card that is branded to VISA or MC, therefore may not work everywhere due to using a different network called PLUS. It does not work at Aldi, but that is no great loss. It doesn't work online. It works everywhere else just about. You have to use it in person. They call it an "ATM card". I tried a real debit card from the bank, but it was like having no security at all. Anyone could just use it. The only time it asked for a PIN was if cash back was requested. I don't see how that helps anything.

Sure, the bank will take care of unauthorized transactions. But in the meantime, the low account will bounce things. I have things on auto-pay.

I got rid of the real debit card pronto.

Anything online or a serious purchase gets the credit card. The PIN debit card is mainly for supermarket stuff where you don't know what the total might be. I carry like $15 cash in case a Target thing is like $1.99.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I get asked for a PIN everytime at stores (Walmart, Kroger, Lowe's). Restaurants generally a signature.

Auto pay bills are the main account not the day to day account.

Day to day is online, PayPal, Gas Buddy, restaurants, etc.

I started using Walmart Pay for Savings Catcher and eady access to my son's discount. Recently Kroger added an apo payment option too.

Both save time and make some things simpler. Both are PIN protected (so is my Google Pay), so even if you get in and unlock my phone you can't use them.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 07-11-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Also, two accounts. One is the working account for day to day expenses. But most funds are in another account with a different, unused card. Easy, immediate transfers between them but limits my short term damage (and long term limited by liability terms).
    Yep, I use a similar scheme to isolate my accounts. One daily account w/debit card, one reserve account for direct deposit wo/debit card, one online purchase account w/debit card that has a low balance until needing to use it. Only problem I have had is if an account with a debit card is compromised, you may have to replace the account. The banks are pretty good at seeing bogus charges, and can remove them.

My credit reports are almost blank sheets, so getting a credit card is not very possible at a reasonable cost.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Only problem I have had is if an account with a debit card is compromised, you may have to replace the account. The banks are pretty good at seeing bogus charges, and can remove them.
    Depends on how it's compromised.
    If they have card info, then just a new card with new number.
    They don't have other account info.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Depends on how it's compromised.
    If they have card info, then just a new card with new number.
    They don't have other account info.
    Think you are right if it involves a card. Account stays, and a new card is issued.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I get asked for a PIN everytime at stores (Walmart, Kroger, Lowe's). Restaurants generally a signature.

Auto pay bills are the main account not the day to day account.

Day to day is online, PayPal, Gas Buddy, restaurants, etc.
    The big guys might have had PINs forced on them due to big ticket fraud. The stores sometimes think that PINs piss off impatient customers. I actually wrote to a big shot at Target and complained about how their terminals were programmed, and all he and his team were concerned about was the traffic flow and inconveniencing the "Guests". I also said that "Guest" was dumb, as a real guest wouldn't get a bill, but I digress.

If you can manage two accounts, more power to you. One account is enough of a headache for me. There seem to be so many things to futz around with when one has a household.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Sure, the bank will take care of unauthorized transactions. But in the meantime, the low account will bounce things. I have things on auto-pay.
    Good point about accounts with auto-pay. Most use a card number, and if you have to replace that card the account is not usable until you register a new card number. If that happens, I would temporarily edit the auto-pay account with another card. Auto-pay is new to me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast