Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Amazon's plans and looking forward

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They have 3 carriers. It's not working so well for them with less competition.
    Too bad they don't have someone like Legere running one of their carriers. But really, that's Canada's problem. Not America's problem.

It's not like T-Mobile is just going to stop competing if Sprint files bankruptcy.
    They won't stop competing. But if Sprint files bankruptcy, it reduces competition for AT&T and Verizon. So they'd be really happy about that.

Also, bankruptcy doesn't mean they just turn the lights off and walk out, it means they are filing to bankruptcy protection to restructure...
    Right and a restructuring company isn't that concerned with competing. It's concerned with just trying to stay in business. So again, less competition is a big win for AT&T and Verizon.

You claimed that they would raise prices to maximize shareholder value, i.e. they would be fat and happy.
    No, here's what I said, "You price your product so that it maximizes your revenue and your profit."

You can't quote where I predicted that "they would raise prices" because I never said that. You continue to flat out lie and misquote me about what I said. If the market doesn't perceive they have a better network, they can't very easily raise their prices without customer loss, increased churn and a declining revenue.

And they may find it more profitable to expand their network and then to lower prices and attract AT&T and Verizon's prime customers in doing so.

I happen to disagree that you can predict that they will for certain raise prices. But I do believe they have the right to set their pricing however they see fit. It won't bother me what they do. I can always leave if I choose.

Breaking up Verizon and AT&T isn't going to make a new carrier.
    The justice department could force Verizon and AT&T to divest assets to send to a new carrier. It would be more fair to do that then to take those assets from the new T-Mobile.

The corners they cut didn't save them much on the cost of the towers, although it would cost more to build more towers.
    They spent what they decided they could afford to spend with the limited resources they had. That's the bottom line.

They seem to be doing pretty well with them. It will also take a lot more than just rural tower densities. AFAICT, T and VZ are ahead in covering resorts, venues, in-building DAS, all that stuff that impacts people just as much but is much harder to see on a coverage map.
    Agreed. And the new T-mobile will be able to compete better in those areas as well.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I quoted your full unedited quote. And then I provided my response. And my response doesn't say you "said" anything else.
    You asked me when I was going to switch to AT&T. I never said that I was going to switch to AT&T.

When will you stop claiming I said something that I never said?

I don't see a difference that you see.
    You wouldn't see it if there were a dozen Youtube videos showing Legere beating a puppy to death in Times Square at noon on a Tuesday.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    eh. Get a solid unlocked universal phone, along the lines of a Pixel or an iPhone, and just carry SIM cards with you. Swap out as necessary.

Sure, it's not as convenient as whipping out a charged phone that's already turned on and running and simply making a call or hitting an app or web site. But it's cheaper and does the job just as well.
    There is the risk of losing the SIM when swapping. Finding the SIM when it slides between the seat and console.

I have a spare phone right now that uses my backup plan. Though the next time I buy my main phone I would be temped in one that can share numbers, like last year's iPhones.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You asked me when I was going to switch to AT&T. I never said that I was going to switch to AT&T.

Asking you that question is no indication of what you said. But if you want me to quote what you said, I'll be happy to do it:

"hotspot availability and upload speeds are overall not very good at all."
    "Upload speeds with T-Mo are horrible"
    "in my vacation spot 600 miles away, I would swear I had better service last year than this. Simply walking in a door would cut me down to zero service."
    "T-Mo upload speeds ABSOLUTELY SUCK for me over the last 4 or so months"
    " it's quite possible that T-Mo is overloaded and showing it"
    " the up speed is from 0.01 to 5. Yes. Zero point zero one."
    "currently using my AT&T tethering--because it's three times as fast as the T-Mo service here."

So given the way that you're bashing your experience with T-Mobile service, a reasonable person could conclude that you'll be porting out soon. Are you saying that's not the case and you'll be putting up with the poor experience as described in your exact quotes above?

You wouldn't see it if there were a dozen Youtube videos showing Legere beating a puppy to death in Times Square at noon on a Tuesday.
    You have no evidence of Legere doing such a thing. Even suggesting that he would be capable of that, is just more of your anti-T-Mobile propaganda.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is all wild speculation on both sides. This merger *should* be completed by the end of the week, assuming it goes through. We can look back 6 months, 1 year, 2 years from now... and see who turned out right. I think bickering about the subject isn’t getting anyone anywhere, and while there are those opposed to and for the merger for different reasons, one group will end up being correct.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Asking you that question is no indication of what you said.
    You asked me, quite directly, "when are you going to switch to AT&T?"

So given the way that you're bashing your experience with T-Mobile service
    I repeat, when will you stop claiming I said something that I never said?

I am questioning my T-Mobile service, and have chosen to make a direct, active comparison for my purposes. In no way, shape, OR form have I "bashed" my experience with T-Mobile.

You have no evidence of Legere doing such a thing.
    Lighten up, Francis.

I guess your reading comprehension is...very low level.

Either that, or we need to take a cue from President Clinton and ask you, "what is the meaning of 'if'?" Because you clearly don't grasp the concept.
    Last edited by adam1991; 07-22-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They won't stop competing. But if Sprint files bankruptcy, it reduces competition for AT&T and Verizon. So they'd be really happy about that.
    This is totally illogical since you quoted my explanation of what bankruptcy is right below it.

Right and a restructuring company isn't that concerned with competing. It's concerned with just trying to stay in business. So again, less competition is a big win for AT&T and Verizon.
    Stay in business to not compete? That's completely nonsensical. You obviously either just way to defend John Legere the almighty, or you want to rile everyone here up by posting nonsense, or some combination of the two.

No, here's what I said, "You price your product so that it maximizes your revenue and your profit."
    You just contradicted yourself again. This is a ridiculous discussion when you just change sides whenever it suits your agenda or to rile everyone up.

You can't quote where I predicted that "they would raise prices" because I never said that.
    Literally one sentence ago. Dude, if you're going to come and post here with this crap, at least try a little bit harder to make it seem like you have some clue of what you're talking about.

You continue to flat out lie and misquote me about what I said.

I happen to disagree that you can predict that they will for certain raise prices.
    Apparently you disagree with your other personality that was posting a few sentence ago. The cognitive dissonance is insane here.

The justice department could force Verizon and AT&T to divest assets to send to a new carrier. It would be more fair to do that then to take those assets from the new T-Mobile.
    That is completely insane and backwards. T-Mobile doesn't yet own Sprint, that's what this whole discussion is about, remember? No, you don't want to, since it doesn't fit your agenda.

They spent what they decided they could afford to spend with the limited resources they had. That's the bottom line.
    They could have built a few fewer towers, built the rest correctly, and kept using roaming in a couple of spots.

Agreed. And the new T-mobile will be able to compete better in those areas as well.
    I'm sure there are a few spots where Sprint is ahead of T-Mobile in the DAS area, but from what I can tell, that would be the exception not the rule, so most of that would still have to be done from the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    This is all wild speculation on both sides. This merger *should* be completed by the end of the week, assuming it goes through. We can look back 6 months, 1 year, 2 years from now... and see who turned out right. I think bickering about the subject isn’t getting anyone anywhere, and while there are those opposed to and for the merger for different reasons, one group will end up being correct.
    About our discussion, sure, whatever happens will happen. If the merger goes through, prices will go up, the network will get better to some extent, maybe a little, maybe a lot.

However, I don't think this is a simple go/no go this week. Every article that comes out is weirder than the last, and some have lawsuit timelines stretching into the fall. I just don't see this getting resolved anytime soon, but I could be wrong....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This isn't going to happen. Too many egos.

I say T-Mobile wins (market share that is) even as I've predicted forever if this merger fails. Then SoftBank will continue to sink billions into Sprint. And as the shell game goes on AT&T & VZW will continue to raise prices.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post

I say T-Mobile wins (market share that is) even as I've predicted forever if this merger fails. Then SoftBank will continue to sink billions into Sprint. And as the shell game goes on AT&T & VZW will continue to raise prices.
    出る釘は打たれる
    Deru kugi wa utareru.
    Translation: The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Ancient Japanese proverb.

Sprint is the nail sticking out in Softbank's portfolio. When Softbank bought Sprint in 2013, they infused $5 billion in cash into Sprint for working capital. Softbank/Masayoshi Son cannot allow the Sprint nail to stick out any longer. One way or the other, that nail is going to get hammered down.

Sprint has had 5+ years to show some semblance of a turn around. There is none in sight.

Sprint has lost about 1% market share of the postpaid phone market simultaneously being the low price carrier.

When you are the low price leader and you are losing market share, and everyone knows that you are losing market share, then no one else cares what you price is. Sprint has multiple other issues.

People seem to forget that VZW, AT&T and Sprint all trace there history back to the turn of the 20th century, therefore they all had an indigenous/native market to build on.

T-Mobile started without the benefit of having been a known entity for 100 years; a benefit that VZW, AT&T, and Sprint all have. Now, Sprint is 75% the size of T-Mobile.

The Sprint brand has very little value and that's why i doubt you will see that name after the buyout.

Why let Sprint go into bankruptcy, renege on most or all of there debt and have taxpayers pay for their bad management when T-mobile has assessed the risks and made the eyes wide open conscious choice that they will buy them?

Many times, people use the terms "competitor" and "alternate choice" synonymously, when they are not interchangeable. Sprint is merely the fourth choice on the list of four.

The suggestion that Sprint puts downward price pressure on VZW, or AT&T or T-Mobile is like suggesting that HTC puts downward price pressure on Apple, or that K-Mart/Sears Holdings puts downward price pressure on Wal-Mart or that Ford put downward price pressure on Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus.

No rational company looks at the price leader in the market losing market share and says, that's the way we should go or that how we should do it

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    Why let Sprint go into bankruptcy, renege on most or all of there debt and have taxpayers pay for their bad management when T-mobile has assessed the risks and made the eyes wide open conscious choice that they will buy them?

Many times, people use the terms "competitor" and "alternate choice" synonymously, when they are not interchangeable. Sprint is merely the fourth choice on the list of four.

The suggestion that Sprint puts downward price pressure on VZW, or AT&T or T-Mobile is like suggesting that HTC puts downward price pressure on Apple, or that K-Mart/Sears Holdings puts downward price pressure on Wal-Mart or that Ford put downward price pressure on Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus.

No rational company looks at the price leader in the market losing market share and says, that's the way we should go or that how we should do it
    Great post. I couldn't agree more. Hammer that nail down!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Great post. I couldn't agree more. Hammer that nail down!
    That's a violent and uncalled-for sentiment.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    .....Why let Sprint go into bankruptcy, renege on most or all of there debt and have taxpayers pay for their bad management when T-mobile has assessed the risks and made the eyes wide open conscious choice that they will buy them?.....
    While I agree with most of what you posted, I don't understand how "taxpayers pay" in the event of bankruptcy. They aren't General Motors or Morgan Stanley. Has the government guaranteed a bunch of their loans? I don't get it.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

People seem to forget that VZW, AT&T and Sprint all trace there history back to the turn of the 20th century, therefore they all had an indigenous/native market to build on.

T-Mobile started without the benefit of having been a known entity for 100 years; a benefit that VZW, AT&T, and Sprint all have. Now, Sprint is 75% the size of T-Mobile.
    Just a couple of nitpicks...

Sprint isn't a "known entity for 100 years.. "

While they do have origins in an ancient local rural Kansas telco, the "Sprint" as the public knows them (and had probably long forgotten) started as an alternate long distance carrier in the 80s after the Ma Bell breakup. They didn't get into wireless until the PCS licenses were opened up in 1994 to increase competition in cellular.

Coincidentally, do you know who else started in 1994? Voicestream Wireless, who were bought by T-Mo a few years later.

Sprint had no real leg up on T-Mo in wireless- they had to build a Nationwide network from scratch. AT&T and Verizon are the product of mergers and acquisitions of large regional cell companies with over a decade headstart.

The Sprint brand has very little value and that's why i doubt you will see that name after the buyout.
    I agree that both the brand has little value and that it won't survive the buyout, but that itself invalidates your idea that the bran has some rich 100-year history. Old brands stick around because name recognition has value. Look at how long defunct American brand names get bought and reused by other companies (e g. Philco or Magnavox). No one is going to bother to license "Sprint" after the company's demise due to bankruptcy, merger or acquisition, precisely because it doesn't have longevity or value.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Who remembers the pin dropping?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Who remembers the pin dropping?
    Sprint's CDMA 1x800 voice/text network is still excellent, and IMO, the best 3G voice network around (although I'd still prefer VoLTE). But it's also not 2007 anymore.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast