Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Phone to work with Verizon prepaid

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Phone to work with Verizon prepaid

I know from previous discussions on this site that although TMobile will provision volte on the Moto G4 Play, Verizon won't. Therefore, I will need to get another phone before long.

I'm not someone who has to have the latest and greatest phone. However, I don't want to mistakenly buy a new-old-stock phone that's too old to have the necessary technology to work on Verizon. When shopping, what terminology do I need to look for in phone descriptions? Will it say VOLTE capable, or is there something else I should watch for?
    I can't believe I made a typo when entering my screen name....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by itssjustme View Post
    I know from previous discussions on this site that although TMobile will provision volte on the Moto G4 Play, Verizon won't. Therefore, I will need to get another phone before long.

I'm not someone who has to have the latest and greatest phone. However, I don't want to mistakenly buy a new-old-stock phone that's too old to have the necessary technology to work on Verizon. When shopping, what terminology do I need to look for in phone descriptions? Will it say VOLTE capable, or is there something else I should watch for?
    Look for volte and look online to see if the phone is compatible with Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

First I don't believe the G4 Play has VoLTE (HD Voice) so that's why Verizon won't. I don't think T-Mobile has VoLTE at this point either, and even if they do you have bad info since the phone doesn't.

HD Voice or Enhanced LTE are other terms different mfg's use for VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    First I don't believe the G4 Play has VoLTE (HD Voice) so that's why Verizon won't. I don't think T-Mobile has VoLTE at this point either, and even if they do you have bad info since the phone doesn't.

HD Voice or Enhanced LTE are other terms different mfg's use for VoLTE.
    I've seen this discussed in the past around here and some people have reported using volte on Tmobile on an unlocked G4 Play - here's the first thread I came up with on a quick search, I know there have been others. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...y-unlocked-GSM

Anyway, I know at some point in the not-too-distant future I will have to get a new phone to use with Verizon prepaid. Obviously I could just get a phone sold by Verizon, but if I decide to look for another unlocked phone I want to make sure I get something that will work.

Thanks for providing some other terms I could look for - I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I kinda like the Moto G6 Play. Should be seeing some good deals on the Verizon Prepaid and unlocked versions.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I kinda like the Moto G6 Play. Should be seeing some good deals on the Verizon Prepaid and unlocked versions.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. At least there probably wouldn't be too steep learning curve if I stuck with the same line of phone ☺️

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've seen this discussed in the past around here and some people have reported using volte on Tmobile on an unlocked G4 Play - here's the first thread I came up with on a quick search, I know there have been others. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...y-unlocked-GSM

Anyway, I know at some point in the not-too-distant future I will have to get a new phone to use with Verizon prepaid. Obviously I could just get a phone sold by Verizon, but if I decide to look for another unlocked phone I want to make sure I get something that will work.

Thanks for providing some other terms I could look for - I appreciate it.
    I wasn't sure about T-Mobile and VoLTE. I trusted Phone Scoop as far as the G4 Play not having VoLTE (HD Voice). They've been wrong before so use several sources in your search. And allot of knowledgeable people in here to confirm it.

EDIT: Just checked this link. Verizon does list the "unlocked" G4 Play. Note the model number though. https://community.verizonwireless.co...s/td-p/1089311

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I wasn't sure about T-Mobile and VoLTE. I trusted Phone Scoop as far as the G4 Play not having VoLTE (HD Voice). They've been wrong before so use several sources in your search. And allot of knowledgeable people in here to confirm it.
    It doesn't really matter anyway, I just mentioned it because I was annoyed that Verizon won't enable a feature that TMobile might.

Regardless of what TMobile does, I know I'm stuck getting a new phone since Verizon has the best coverage in my area.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It doesn't really matter anyway, I just mentioned it because I was annoyed that Verizon won't enable a feature that TMobile might.

Regardless of what TMobile does, I know I'm stuck getting a new phone since Verizon has the best coverage in my area.
    Just did an edit to my post after you read it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

EDIT: Just checked this link. Verizon does list the "unlocked" G4 Play. Note the model number though. https://community.verizonwireless.co...s/td-p/1089311
    Moto G4 Play on T-Mobile DOES have VoLTE. I have a T-Mobile SIM and it gets VoLTE without any fanfare. I have spotty service with T-Mobile where I live so that's why I can't use it for reliable service. I'm on Selectel with an unlocked G4 Play (XT1607) and even though they now offer VoLTE, it would not work when the CS rep tried to turn it on.

When the end of 2019 arrives, it looks like I'll have no service if I keep the G4 Play.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    Moto G4 Play on T-Mobile DOES have VoLTE. I have a T-Mobile SIM and it gets VoLTE without any fanfare. I have spotty service with T-Mobile where I live so that's why I can't use it for reliable service. I'm on Selectel with an unlocked G4 Play (XT1607) and even though they now offer VoLTE, it would not work when the CS rep tried to turn it on.

When the end of 2019 arrives, it looks like I'll have no service if I keep the G4 Play.

Yep. Our phones work for now but unless the deadline gets pushed back we'll have to get new phones by the end of the year.

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...mvnos-can.html
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    https://brickseek.com/target-invento...ku=080-06-0022

Grabbed a few for 60 bucks but even 99 is decent. Gotta a couple G6 Plays on a few different lines and they're pretty decent phones with crazy good battery life.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Do those have VoIP on Verizon?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Try this link.

These support VOLTE, but not necessarily Wi-Fi calling.

https://community.verizonwireless.co...s/td-p/1089311

You might also need a new sim. If you current sim was not provisioned for VOLTE, then I'm pretty sure you will need to get a new sim provisioned for VOLTE. I know I had to with Total Wireless.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That Verizon list people keep linking to is from 2018 and those phones that were acceptable at that time. Doesn't necessarily mean those phones will be acceptable after the end of 2019. My phone Moto G4 Play unlocked model #1607 is on the linked list and currently works on Verizon. However, there have been discussions on these forums that it is not Volte on Verizon or its MVNOS.

Here, found another thread about the G4 play and volte.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...atible-I-guess

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast