Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T WiFi Calling Not Activating

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

AT&T WiFi Calling Not Activating

We have 3 lines, 2 iPhones (6S and 7+) and those are happily working WiFi calling. The 3rd line never worked. It also had a 6S on it, that didn't work. Just got a used Note 9, doesn't activate the wifi calling. It appears in the features on the portal for the first two, and you can't even pick it on the 3rd line. I called again today and today's excuse is that it's from another carrier. I call BS on this. Is there some magic phrases you guys have figured out to utter to get them to fix this?

The two other iPhones were all bought on eBay like the Note and the previous iPhone. So don't know if I'm buying this. I used to have a corporate account with discount, and still do (however, it doesn't buy many discounts any more). I think it wasn't provisioned correctly but when i mention this to the tech support people they don't understand what language I'm speaking.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    are the 6s & Note 9 both AT&T branded phones ?? is the software & firmware updated for both phones ??

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not all features on non-branded devices are guaranteed to work with all carriers. Ask to speak with advanced tech support as Tier 1 tech support has limited knowledge of such things. There is no BS involved in your original inquiry.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Everything was updated to the latest.

How do I get the AT&T specific settings into it? Shouldn't the firmware update have covered this?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok confirmed that WiFi calling is not even showing up anywhere on the Note 9. I don't really want to reflash this with a special firmware either. Do I NOT have any other choices in this matter? Also doesn't explain why the previous 6S on this account couldn't do it either.
    I'm thinking it's a chicken and egg thing: if AT&T does not provision it, it won't show up on the Note 9 as an option perhaps???

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Keep in mind that not all phones have the capability if the device wasn't supplied by the carrier directly. In some cases, no ROM flash or hacking will resolve the issue.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think I'm going to yell until glass things break in the house. Went to the ATT store and they basically says it's an unlocked non-ATT phone and the system does not recognize it as an HD Voice/WiFi Calling capable phone and I'm screwed. Is this the end here folks? This is BS. It's on the latest firmware rev (Pie?) and this should have pretty much worked.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

AT&T WiFi Calling Not Activating

Quote Originally Posted by gazoo66 View Post
    I think I'm going to yell until glass things break in the house. Went to the ATT store and they basically says it's an unlocked non-ATT phone and the system does not recognize it as an HD Voice/WiFi Calling capable phone and I'm screwed. Is this the end here folks? This is BS. It's on the latest firmware rev (Pie?) and this should have pretty much worked.
    You’re better off going with a carrier that supports it on your phone (or give in and get a carrier branded phone). Not worth ripping your hair out with AT&T over, you’re not gonna get anywhere with them.

As to the 6S not working, you might’ve had to call in and have them update the IMEI associated with the line.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OP, I am sorry to hear of your experience, but it is exactly what I suspected.

I had a similar issue a few years ago when I wanted to activate an unlocked, non-branded LG G4 on Verizon a few years ago. Although they sold a branded model just like mine, my device simply lacked the required LTE frequencies and I couldn't use it on Verizon. It is a colorful paperweight that only works on WiFi. Fortunately the phone was given to me at no cost.

Best wishes to you, "I feel your pain".

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by gazoo66 View Post
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...es-quot-switch

dude, I couldn't even get AT&T to help me get an AT&T phone to work!

The first time I called this morning, I told her it was booting up with the AT&T logo. She said, does it have the AT&T logo screened on the back? No, it does not. She said, well, then, it may be an unlocked phone--which we don't support.

That's when I put the T-Mobile SIM in and discovered for a fact that no, it's still SIM-locked to AT&T. And that's when I called back.

And despite the second guy's sincere efforts at helping, he was not able to. It was my own educated fumbling around that found the answer.

tl;dr--don't expect any help from AT&T on this stuff. You're on your own.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    adam911, sorry to hear of your experience, but you should have reached out to At&t advanced (Tier II) technical support. The CS rep cannot offer a direct phone # but can transfer you for assistance. Tier 1 support doesn't have all the answers/solutions available. Tier II has more advanced tools available.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    adam911, sorry to hear of your experience, but you should have reached out to At&t advanced (Tier II) technical support. The CS rep cannot offer a direct phone # but can transfer you for assistance. Tier 1 support doesn't have all the answers/solutions available. Tier II has more advanced tools available.
    I "should" have done what?

How would I have known to do that? I signed up for AT&T as a brand new, never-before customer on July 4. Please tell me how I am suppose to know any of what you're talking about? Or why ANY customer is supposed to know any of that?

As I said in response to this in the other thread, AT&T has failed their first round in my testing. If "Tier 1 support doesn't have all the answers/solutions available," as you say (which is true and not at all unexpected), then it's up to Tier 1 to know where to send me. It is NOT up to me to know the secret code words and handshake to make Tier 1 DO THEIR JOB that they'e being paid for--which is to KNOW to pass me along.

If I have to know the secret code words and handshake to get anywhere on a matter like mine (I mean, come on, the phone wouldn't do what it's advertised to do!), AT&T has not only utterly failed in all of this, it has also met my expectations.

And AT&T is currently failing EVERY customer who's calling in with a serious technical problem but who doesn't know the secret code word and handshake.

There's a reason T-Mobile has grown like it has, and why AT&T and VZW are not.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I not saying you should have known, just offering my best suggestion to see if it can be resolved. Keep in mind that Tier I customer service reps are only following policies setup by corporate executives in their own little world outside of reality.

I am only sharing the process to help you and any other members reading this thread. Not your fault for not knowing about it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The phone works well otherwise by the way. It’s just WiFi calling not working. I guess I give up and I’ll get an ex-ATT phone next time.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Keep in mind that if the iPhone is not branded At&t, it likely won't work with WiFi calling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast