Thread: Galaxy S9+ (Pi), wifi calling won't enable, and hidden "Enhanced LTE Services" switch

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Galaxy S9+ (Pi), wifi calling won't enable, and hidden "Enhanced LTE Services" switch

Brand new AT&T-branded and SIM-locked Galaxy S9+ here, with brand new AT&T service. I bought it off Swappa (love that place). The phone came to me in true 18 month old out of the box condition--perfect physically, but on the original Android 8 software. I spent several hours updating it, one security level at a time, with the Android 9 upgrade in between. I finally got it to Android 9 with the June 2019 security patch, so it's current.

Everything works great, but I had trouble turning on wifi calling.

I would get an error about "VoLTE must be turned on," and a choice to take me to Settings. But the settings window, while it looked like this is where the feature would be, didn't have it.

It took me a couple of calls to AT&T, who was just as confused and couldn't figure it out, to get me to poke around more. In the phone app I saw the button to turn on wifi calling, but that got me the same error message. But immediately underneath that was the switch to turn on AT&T video calling. Interesting.

When I hit that switch, it told me that I had to enable Advanced LTE Services. (THAT'S new.) When I hit the "Settings" button, it took me to a screen where that very feature switch was (and ONLY that feature switch). I turned it on and then video calling was enabled. Hmmmmm.

So at that point I went ahead and turned on wifi calling, and what do you know--it enabled right away.

So the error message I got from turning on wifi calling was wrong, even though it was the right idea. VoLTE is, I imagine, a subset of "Advanced LTE Services". But it gave no mechanism to get to that particular switch. Only the video calling switch got me there.

AT&T support is still trying to figure out how I can get to the "Advanced LTE Services" switch manually, by itself. I can't find a way. It's not there under settings. Nowhere.

UPDATE: per AT&T, "Advanced LTE Services" is a hidden switch, used only when an application requires it. In this case, both wifi calling and video calling required it--but there appears to be a bug where the wifi calling button doesn't actually call out that switch. Thankfully the video calling button did. Otherwise...

I can't imagine I'm the only one who's seen this?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    try dialing *#*#4636#*#* a secret menu should show, select phone information and scroll down a little and you should see some switches for VoLTE - WIFI Calling ect.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yup, I see that. Perfect. I was looking for just such a back door.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is the phone branded as At&t? Does it display the At&t logo on the display?
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Absolutely. It boots up with the AT&T logo, and is SIM-locked to AT&T. There is no question it's an AT&T-branded phone.

Except in the mind of the first CS rep, who said that since it doesn't have the death star silk screened on the back, it must not be an AT&T-branded phone.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As I mentioned to the OP in the other forum you commented on, you should request to speak with Tier II Technical (Advanced Technical) Support. That team has far more access to the troubleshooting tools to better assist you. Hope that helps you as well. I used to be a Tier II technical rep for At&t. I don't have access to those very tools to help you as I no longer work for the "Death Star Network".

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As I mentioned in my first post, I finally discovered completely by accident the key to enabling VoLTE.

I am brand new to AT&T; I'm testing it. I would say this experience is part of the test, and AT&T failed. It is absolutely not up to me to know who to ask for specifically. It's up to the front line rep to know what to do when his abilities and procedures fail him.

I have to say, I have NEVER had a problem with the front line reps at T-Mobile in this regard. The few times I've had to call for deep problems, they do what they can and understand it's time to pass me on to deeper support.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I do understand your frustration and don't disagree with you in any way.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You have to go into settings, connections, mobile networks. You'll find it in there. May have to click on mobile data in that sub menu.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    You have to go into settings, connections, mobile networks. You'll find it in there. May have to click on mobile data in that sub menu.
    Nope. Not there.

Trust me, it's not anywhere. No VoLTE, no Advanced LTE Services, nothing. None of that is available on its own via the user interface. As I said, the ONLY opportunity I had to turn on Advanced LTE Services was when turning on AT&T Video Calling.

And that's what was required also for wifi calling to turn on, but they screwed up when doing the UI two ways: (a) turning on wifi calling--if Advanced LTE Services wasn't already on--requires asking the user to turn on "VoLTE", which is wrong, and (b) when the user hits the Settings button it takes the user to the very place you mention--which does not have anything labeled "VoLTE," nor does it have Advanced LTE Services.

This is a simple screwup between Samsung and AT&T, with AT&T desperate to maintain VZW-like total control over thing like this. But then AT&T compounds the screwup by (a) front line reps not having access to any documentation about the required features, and (b) front line reps then apparently not having any documentation about putting me through to a tech support line that CAN help me.

I was ON MY OWN on this matter. The average user would never have figured this out.

The question is, why isn't an AT&T phone configured out of the box for video and wifi calling--or at least with "Advanced LTE Services" turned on, waiting for the user to want/use them?