Thread: Google Voice vs. Hangouts test call comparison

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Google Voice vs. Hangouts test call comparison

I've been wanting to compare these two on my own device (LG Fiesta 2 on PPC/VZW) to see if the newer version GV app actually improved over Hangouts to a noticeable degree, as Hangouts for me typically was fairly marginal in acceptable call quality, mainly regarding dropouts (stuttering audio) and immediate call echo (especially at the beginning of the connection).

I didn't want to use a friend on a real person phone call, so I looked around the web for existing test numbers you can call that might at least offer call record and immediate playback, or simply to play music or conversation to see how it does just on receive audio.

I found this number from DSL Reports that was really neat, which has at least nine different tests you can conduct (record yourself/listen, playback your detected number/CID, steady music, DTMF test, and more to name a few).

The originally posted number (from 2012) is 408-647-4636, but once connected the recording tells you the test number has been changed to 631-791-8378.

I found that, unfortunately for me, at least on this device, the GV app was really bad as far as audio dropouts, and Hangouts was surprisingly much better.

I'm in a public school building on a nearly unused network (because summer) with about a 72 Mbps 2.4 MHz connection. No idea of the latency, which theoretically might be the problem, but that wouldn't explain Hangouts' tolerable performance. GV not tolerable.

I like the idea of being able to receive calls via VoIP while on the job (for calls I need my number identity in play), since I've got oodles of Wi-Fi, and wanted to determine which Google app would do the best job for me. For now that would seem to be Hangouts.

Update later in the evening: Repeated this test at home, with similar link speed. Pretty much the same perceived results, with voice calls using the GV app just slightly better than before, but the clear advantage still went to the Hangouts app.

I'm certainly glad I've got a hard internet line and an Obi 200 to use for my GV needs at home!
    Last edited by whacker; 07-11-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'm still using Hangouts over LTE and/or WiFi. It still works well for me. I test the GV app from time to time, but I still prefer Hangouts.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just wonder why this is. Seems like we hear of plenty of users who get good results with the GV app on cheap enough phones. Shouldn't need an octa-core processor! If I knew there was a setting to adjust or another app to NOT run at the same time, I'd try that out.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Case and point. On my axon 7 when I was running lineage os, acroits groundwire earpiece audio sound harsh and very tinny. Now, on android 9 (not lineage based), it sounds much much better. My guess is different audio drivers or codecs in use.

As for gv app vs hangouts, to me on the above device they sound the same except hangouts is a louder. Quality wise I can't tell much any difference.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Case and point. On my axon 7 when I was running lineage os, acroits groundwire earpiece audio sound harsh and very tinny. Now, on android 9 (not lineage based), it sounds much much better. My guess is different audio drivers or codecs in use.

As for gv app vs hangouts, to me on the above device they sound the same except hangouts is a louder. Quality wise I can't tell much any difference.
    I think this might be the first post I've seen that has mentioned one of my long-term comments that I've posted on HoFo several times before about the GV app...that the volume is lower than with Hangouts, which is especially noticeable on devices that might not have the best earpiece volume in the first place.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Comments above were based on testing yesterday. Lowest end device I have here is a 2015 moto e lte (xt1526). Even on this device, quality sounds about the same with a slight difference in volume, favoring hangouts. Maybe the lower volume level gives a poorer quality perception?

Unless there's a ton of things running in the background, cpu usage for a voip call should not be that demanding.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I just wish Google would "clean up" the issues I have with the GV app, so that it would be as usable as Hangouts. I've submitted feedback to Google several times with the following list. I also wish I knew if the GV app was even being worked on by Google.

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too. As another data point, when searching contacts, the TextNow app ALSO lists numbers with a custom name with the custom name next to the number.

2) On any of the three phones and 1 tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the Simplenote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, Viber, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) The earpiece volume is lower using the GV app on some devices compared to Hangouts, enough to be an annoyance on devices that don't have the best earpiece volume.

4) When any of my devices are set to silent, when a call comes into the GV # that I have set up in the GV app, the screen remains dark, and there's no indication of a call coming in. If a call comes into either of my GV #s that are set up in Hangouts on a device set to silent, the screen immediately lights up, and Hangouts can be answered. As an extra data point, even TextNow work correctly, the same as Hangouts, when a call comes in to a device that is set to silent.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think they must be paying somewhat close attention to it, otherwise the updates wouldn't be as close in interval as they've been, although it has slowed down since I got my last one (middle of June?).

At least at this point I've been able, through testing, to determine which app I'm going to select for my personal phone calls while in the buildings of the place I work at. Bummer to be expecting a call and see it ringing, only to answer and it's all broken up and unintelligible, necessitating a callback and explanation from me.

Hangouts updates have really slowed down, but that's somewhat understandable since Google's working hard on the transition to the newer Hangouts Chat & Hangouts Meet apps (https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...ers-chat-meet/).

But it looks like even in the consumer (non-G Suite user) version of newer Hangouts Chat they're going to keep the ability to make calls with Google Voice (among other features).

At the school I work we have the educational platform version of G Suite, and a few people use Hangouts, which appears in your Gmail account just like regular Gmail users. It doesn't appear to have made any transition to a newer version yet, however.

I'm just looking for a VoIP calling solution from Google integrated with my GV, that works reliably on the devices I use.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Well, that's good news about the planned integration of the GV functions of Hangouts Classic into the new consumer version of Hangouts Chat. Now I'll just hope they don't completely screw it up in the process!

The article linked above seems to indicate that Hangouts Classic, which is the tried and true/current version, will be supported until sometime in 2020, so they have time. Fingers crossed!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Honestly, at this point in time I only have one person I communicate with using Hangouts (as an IM chat app). I was using it before I got into Facebook Messenger to handle a few other people, but the Hangouts person doesn't use FB or FB Messenger.

If the fuller capabilities of the Google Messages app (using RCS protocols) are ever opened up (specifically to TracFone company users), such that you could send and receive messages without dinging your SMS message allotment or balance (PPC PAYGO here), then I would use that (other person is on TracFone proper) for IM, hopefully having a reliable GV app for VoIP voice calls.

Not there yet though, in two areas.