Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smartwatch, Tracfone, contactless payments

Feedback Score

Smartwatch, Tracfone, contactless payments

Anyone using a smart watch with Tracfone? I have been researching smart watches. One thing I want to use the smart watch for is credit card payments at terminals that will work for that. I would love to hear from Tracfone users who are also smart watch users.

I saw in another thread someone was using a Smartwatch with Lte capabilities and a Tracfone sim! I hadn’t considered that but if it were possible then a $49 one year plan from Tracfone might make that a possibility for me. Anyone tried that?

Would love to hear from smart watch users. Pros? Cons?

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    Anyone using a smart watch with Tracfone? I have been researching smart watches. One thing I want to use the smart watch for is credit card payments at terminals that will work for that. I would love to hear from Tracfone users who are also smart watch users.

I saw in another thread someone was using a Smartwatch with Lte capabilities and a Tracfone sim! I hadn’t considered that but if it were possible then a $49 one year plan from Tracfone might make that a possibility for me. Anyone tried that?

I was wondering about this myself. I'm surprised no one even answered this post.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps happygrrl1 could post a link to where she "saw in another thread someone was using a Smartwatch with Lte capabilities and a Tracfone sim".

It seems like that would be helpful to getting a reliable answer.

Without that info as perhaps a new starting point, all I can say is that every post I've personally seen on the subject seems to indicate that it isn't possible to use TF service with a smartwatch yet.

Recent Example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetgrampa View Post
    So... Taking your advice I started a text chat session and they said that there was no way for them to activate either a watch or an esim. I guess that's it for now. Thanks everyone.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Perhaps happygrrl1 could post a link to where she "saw in another thread someone was using a Smartwatch with Lte capabilities and a Tracfone sim".

It seems like that would be helpful to getting a reliable answer.

Without that info as perhaps a new starting point, all I can say is that every post I've personally seen on the subject seems to indicate that it isn't possible to use TF service with a smartwatch yet.

Recent Example:
    It's not their target audience anyway. I was just curious.

Feedback Score
    Okay I use the HoFo app so not sure how to post a link. The thread I am referencing is on Howard Forums,
    Smartphones and Wearables, Android, Android Hardware,Android Smartwatches, Samsung Gear Viability

Feedback Score

Smartwatch, Tracfone, contactless payments

I would still like to identify a Smartwatch with Lte capabilities that could use with Tracfone or another very inexpensive prepaid plan. I have,since posting the original post in this thread, purchased a Bluetooth only Smartwatch that I am very happy to have. I would still like to eventually find a Smartwatch that I could use without my phone so that I could sometimes leave my phone at home. I go walking every day and it would be nice to not always need to bring my phone.

More information...the Smartwatch that I purchased is the Samsung Galaxy Active 2. It works beautifully with my Samsung Phone. As long as the phone is within range I can make and receive phone calls and texts. Using Samsung Pay, contactless payments are a breeze.
    Last edited by happygrrl1; 11-13-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    TF doesn't do data only devices and I think watches/tablets fall in that category even the ones that do calls/sms. Or maybe it's just Verizon not whitelisting them.

You might be ok with AT&T/T-Mobile service.

But the device needs to accept a SIM as TF doesn't do eSIM yet.

Maybe other MVNOs would be more supportive.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    I would still like to identify a Smartwatch with Lte capabilities that could use with Tracfone or another very inexpensive prepaid plan. I have,since posting the original post in this thread, purchased a Bluetooth only Smartwatch that I am very happy to have. I would still like to eventually find a Smartwatch that I could use without my phone so that I could sometimes leave my phone at home. I go walking every day and it would be nice to not always need to bring my phone.

More information...the Smartwatch that I purchased is the Samsung Galaxy Active 2. It works beautifully with my Samsung Phone. As long as the phone is within range I can make and receive phone calls and texts. Using Samsung Pay, contactless payments are a breeze.
    There are two versions of that watch, one has esim, which no US MVNO yet is capable of apparently and the other with the aluminum band is strictly a wifi companion device.

The only smartwatch I can find that uses a sim and has maybe acceptable LTE coverage is the LG Sport Watch released in 2017 for AT&T which is about $180 refurb on amazon

2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G bands HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
    4G bands LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850)

Apples website states that Truphone which is an MVNO does support esims right now but I couldn't find anything about it there maybe it is internationally not in the US.

At some point you'll see MVNO's implement esim likely within the next year or so and then you should be able to either use your current watch on a prepaid plan with someone unless you have the aluminum band which means you'll need a new watch that has esim. Tracfone may not be among those MVNO's supporting a watch though. Speedtalk Mobile, and US Mobile have smartwatch support but require sim cards.

Footnote, I saw someone using their watch to pay at the grocery store the other day and its been in my head ever since to look into that because it looked so easy.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Tracfone may not be among those MVNO's supporting a watch though.
    Considering that TF still doesn't do tablets or other data only plans, I doubt they will add watches.

As for eSIM support, only when phones start being eSIM only and then probably after 2nd or 3rdvgen eSIM only devices come along (TF us never cutting edge)

I'm sure there are lots of Chinese smart watches with reasonable AT&T and TMO LTE support, just not brands you've ever heard of.

Feedback Score
    I have the 40mm aluminum Active 2 and I am very happy with it. I like the size and appearance of this watch. It is lightweight and looks like a traditional watch (round face). Some of the other smartwatches looked like a cell phone taped to my wrist.

When I was shopping for my watch, my research indicated that I would have the best experience if I stayed in the same ecosystem...either Apple/iPhone or Samsung/Samsung. The Apple Watch is the best rated, but I don’t have an iPhone. An iPhone is needed for an Apple Watch. While Apple makes good products, they charge a premium for them. I didn’t want to pay the Apple “tax” so I went with Samsung.

I looked at the cheap Chinese Lte watches, but my research indicated that the quality is not there yet. Smartwatches seem to be in somewhat early stages. I started/replied to a couple of threads here and on other forums and the response was light. I do think that this is an area of technology that will grow in the future but it is not ubiquitous like cell phones. I expect that the latest buzz on afib detection by Apple watches will boost sales. The active 2 is expected to get afib detection early next year. Samsung is awaiting FDA approval to roll out this feature via a software update.

I expect that in 2 or 3 years I will have more and better Smartwatch options. I hope that Tracfone or other inexpensive MVNO will offer a connection for Lte enabled watches. Who knows...with Google purchasing Fitbit, there may be a GoogleFi option in the future.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Considering that TF still doesn't do tablets or other data only plans, I doubt they will add watches.

As for eSIM support, only when phones start being eSIM only and then probably after 2nd or 3rdvgen eSIM only devices come along (TF us never cutting edge)

I'm sure there are lots of Chinese smart watches with reasonable AT&T and TMO LTE support, just not brands you've ever heard of.
    Can you list a few of the plethora of Chinese smartwatches with US LTE support you're so sure exist?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Can you list a few of the plethora of Chinese smartwatches with US LTE support you're so sure exist?
    Since I'm not really in the market, as I know they won't support my carrier (Verizon), I'm not going to spend time looking at specs. But I suspect there are some that would work with ATT and/or TMO.

Try GearBest.com, FastTech.com, or similar Chinese sites.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 11-15-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Since I'm not really in the market, as I know they won't support my carrier (Verizon), I'm not going to spend time looking at specs. But I suspect there are some that would work with ATT and/or TMO.

Try GearBest.com, FastTech.com, or similar Chinese sites.
    I just thought since you were so sure they existed you may have actually seen some online somewhere. I went to fasttech and they had no watches with LTE support of any kind which is what I expected.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    There's an LG Urbane 2 LTE mentioned in This Article . I'm not sure if "It has SIM card compatibility" means it uses the usual SIM card or eSIM.

Feedback Score

I have put a TF AT&T nano SIM in an el-cheapo Android smart watch before. It works, but that watch's battery doesn't last very long so I have not used it much.

Basically, a watch that makes phone calls and can text is not going to be distinguishable from any other cell phone, so I don't see any issue with making it work.

If I go jogging with my phone strapped to my arm, that's ok, right? I'm just using a smaller phone strapped to a lower part of my arm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast