Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Smartwatch, Tracfone, contactless payments

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I went to fasttech and they had no watches with LTE support of any kind which is what I expected.
    https://m.fasttech.com/search/1102?keywords=LTE+watch

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    https://www.fasttech.com/search?smartwatch Is what I had used.

There are a couple of watches that show on that link you provided with bands 2, 5 and 12 which would provide some US coverage if someone wanted to spend money on something with little info and no US reviews or reviews at all but yeah they'd would work
    Last edited by offthegrid; 11-16-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Basically, a watch that makes phone calls and can text is not going to be distinguishable from any other cell phone, so I don't see any issue with making it work.
    Although you may be able to use a smart watch standalone, they are usually used in combination with a smartphone. The watch has to share the same number/account as the phone. Sort of like a remote terminal on a network. Standard phone accounts can't do this device sharing. In the case of Apple Watches, the setup and administration is done from the cell phone through a local connection to the watch.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The watch has to share the same number/account as the phone. Sort of like a remote terminal on a network. .
    Only if you want to share the number. Certainly more convenient. I don't think anything prevents using a separate number on the android based devices.

I did it with a cheap 2G watch my son had (TMO though as it was after ATT shutdown 2G) but signal was too weak and battery life too short to be useful.

Conditional call forwarding. Probably a way to forward SMS too, but never looked.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Sometimes the search function takes some work.
    I think the link I gave was my 3rd or 4th try.

I buy some stuff there, but generally not electronics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Conditional call forwarding. Probably a way to forward SMS too, but never looked.
    Conditional call forwarding doesn't do SMS. But you can send SMS to a Google Voice number, it goes to the forwarding phones and also to your email. Depending on the options you set up online. You can't set the options from your mobile as far as I remember.

I get alerts from various accounts that way. Some places won't accept a GV number, so you have to enter the real phone numbers. Some places let you enter only one phone number, so that can be a problem if you have two phones going.

Feedback Score
    Lte Smartwatches are still somewhat of a niche category. However, I expect it to grow.

I am very happy with my Samsung Galaxy Active 2 Bluetooth Smartwatch I don’t expect to be in the market for a new Smartwatch for at least two and probably three years. It will be interesting to see what is available at that time and to see if Tracfone steps up and serves this category of mobile device. I hope that Tracfone or some other inexpensive prepaid phone service provider will get into this market. It would be handy to not need to take my phone when I go walking. With my current Bluetooth watch I love be able to answer the phone from my wrist. Often at home I am in one room and my phone in another. It is super handy to glance at my wrist and see who is calling and answer or not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Conditional call forwarding doesn't do SMS.
    Wasn't saying it did. But there's probably a way to forward messages from the phone to another number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Wasn't saying it did. But there's probably a way to forward messages from the phone to another number.
    No need to be defensive. There are just limited ways to word things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2