Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cannot get Google voice app to ring.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Make sure you pay attention to 1) above. I think maybe that's the key. When you look at 1) you can rename "This Device" to a name that you'll recognize in the GV app on all of your devices. Then you can tell in 2) which device(s) to enable for forwarding to the GV app as VoIP over data.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Following this thread.

I've found something interesting on my setup. I have three phones (all Android, only two with the GV app) , plus Web, plus my Obi 200.

In the Settings>Account> Devices and numbers area (viewed from one phone's GV app), the one phone that's not running the GV app does NOT show in this area as a Linked Number. But it does show in the Settings>Calls>Call Forwarding area, is selectable, and functions normally. It also shows in the Messages area.

All three phones are associated with one and only one Google account, the one associated with my primary GV number.

So there's some flakyness or inconsistency in how things are being displayed/represented in the GV app. Not saying this as a clue to sharp99's issue; just another observation about the product.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    For the incoming calls part, sharp99 is trying to use the GV app with data only.

As far as I can tell, all devices with the GV app installed will show in 1) above, and will then show and be selectable in 2) above.

As an aside, real phone #s that you have verified for GV forwarding will also show in 2), but that's different from devices set up with the GV app, which can be selected separately for use over data only.

Confusing...

Also as an aside, I'm just happy with the info from your previous post that indicates that the new version of Hangouts Chat will still include VoIP capabilities, which will be good, as long as it works as well as Hangouts classic for that purpose! Of course, that won't help people that need the call forwarding to real phone #s, which will require the GV app.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Looking at it over the time since the GV app gained it's own VoiP capability, it seems to me that the "Devices and numbers" area is supposed to be all-inclusive. Devices referring to data-accessible things (whether GV app or web-browser, Obi, etc.); other random forwarded phone numbers being those simply Linked Numbers, as the bottom of the Devices and numbers category titles it. That would be my take on it. But I'm just a simple country boy (not really).

Additional: Also, there no longer is (was there ever?) a separate selection for forwarding to a data device (GV app thing) vs. to a Linked Number. There did used to be (in the Legacy UI) a forwarding selection to "Chat", which went away. This is what allowed the connection to the Hangouts app and web interface. That ability I assume is now "understood", and controlled in the Hangouts app itself.

In the Call Forwarding area the names of the things (in my case) are "Android Device" with the phone number in small print underneath it (since I do have real cell numbers for it). So I conclude that having the GV app installed makes it identify as Android Device (I think sharp99 referred to one called iOS Device). If no app, it identifies as just the phone number (no idea how it might distinguish between Android or iOS devices with no phone numbers or more of one type; maybe that's not even an option, although it is with the Hangouts app).

When you select that "thing" to forward to, in this area there's no distinction made whether to do it via carrier phone connection or data/Wi-Fi. That distinction is made when you select a choice in the "Making and receiving calls" area. This may all be understood by all parties but I just wanted to get it out there.

Even more: Just checked the GV website, and in the newer Settings area (not Legacy) this anomaly with my numbers is all straightened out and looking as it should: normal and understandable. Google needs to make sure things translate from there to the app in a consistent manner.
    Last edited by whacker; 07-16-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    By the way, there SHOULD be a way to enable call forwarding on an AT&T # using the settings on your phone. It's been discussed in a few threads on HoFo, if you feel like searching.
    Here is a recent post about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Settings> Call>Additional settings> call forwarding.

There’s the phone app route which is something like **21*1235556789# as an example.

Now issue with this, is call forwarding is hit or miss depending on the device. Some need to place there sim in a iPhone to even get call forwarding enabled on redpocket GSMA. So if the above doesn’t work try borrowing an iPhone to put your sim in temporarily to set it up.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Just discovered the only way to make my phone ring on a forwarded Google Voice call was to re-install the Hangouts dialer. (I removed it after installing Google Voice) I then went into the settings of the Hangouts dialer & turned on "Incoming Phone Calls". Works like a charm.

Also discovered the only way to turn on Call Forwarding is to put my sim card in my Moto E4 Plus. (Would have to do the same to turn it back off) For whatever reason my Moto G6 Play gives an error code when attempting to do this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2