Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot get Google voice app to ring.

Feedback Score

Cannot get Google voice app to ring.

Basically I'm trying to replace the Hangouts app with the Google voice app but I for the life of me can't get incoming to ring on GV, Hangouts however does. I have the "prefer WiFi and mobile data for calls" checked in the gv app.. the Hangouts incoming call selector seems intergrated differently, you either switch it on or off !

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Basically I'm trying to replace the Hangouts app with the Google voice app but I for the life of me can't get incoming to ring on GV, Hangouts however does. I have the "prefer WiFi and mobile data for calls" checked in the gv app.. the Hangouts incoming call selector seems intergrated differently, you either switch it on or off !

On iOS click your phone number and enable:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    jpiszcz, aren't those screenshots from the Hangouts app?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    sharp99:

Are you sure you have your device enabled under Settings>Calls>Call forwarding?

Are you sure Settings>Do not disturb isn't enabled?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    sharp99:

Are you sure you have your device enabled under Settings>Calls>Call forwarding?

Are you sure Settings>Do not disturb isn't enabled?
    Do not disturb is off, and under forwarding I only have the choice to forward to a cell number.. apparently it's different from Hangouts where your simply allow incoming calls or you don't..I am having sms to my gv number forwarded to my cell number, not incoming calls though (at&t apparently disabled call forwarding for some reason.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    1) Is your DEVICE listed under Settings>Account>Devices & numbers?

2) You need to have the DEVICE, not a phone #, you want the GV app to ring on enabled under Settings>Calls>Call forwarding.

I think you need to have your device listed in 1) to have it appear in 2) so you can enable it, but I can't remember for sure.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    By the way, there SHOULD be a way to enable call forwarding on an AT&T # using the settings on your phone. It's been discussed in a few threads on HoFo, if you feel like searching.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    jpiszcz, aren't those screenshots from the Hangouts app?
    Whoops yep, I’ve never had inbound calls work using google voice on iOS at least. Voice mails will show up on both though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It's very odd, that both you and sharp99 are experiencing issues getting incoming calls to your GV # to ring in the GV app.

I don't use any real phone #s, so I use all my GV #s over data only, and I still use the Hangouts app for my 2 primary GV #s, but I have no problem with incoming calls to my 3rd "test" GV # ringing in the GV app on 3 phones and 1 tablet.

Feedback Score
    By the way, there SHOULD be a way to enable call forwarding on an AT&T # using the settings on your phone. It's been discussed in a few threads on HoFo, if you feel like searching.
    My phone used to allow you to see call forwarding from the phone's menu, it no longer does, says invalid now.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    My phone used to allow you to see call forwarding from the phone's menu, it no longer does, says invalid now.
    Okay. I've never done it, I've just read about it, so hopefully someone with firsthand knowledge will reply.

Feedback Score
    Okay. I've never done it, I've just read about it, so hopefully someone with firsthand knowledge will reply.
    I liked the fact that my carrier vm never picked up regardless when somebody called my gv number, with no call/conditional forwarding with at&t net10 I now have to keep my tablet and phone with me , it was nice to not have to keep my phone with me at home because I knew carrier voicemail would never pick up. I might switch my service to net10 T-Mobile for this feature.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Did you check the two things I mentioned above:
    1) Is your DEVICE listed under Settings>Account>Devices & numbers?

2) You need to have the DEVICE, not a phone #, you want the GV app to ring on enabled under Settings>Calls>Call forwarding.

I think you need to have your device listed in 1) to have it appear in 2) so you can enable it, but I can't remember for sure.

Feedback Score
    Did you check the two things I mentioned above:
    That's the thing, I have no idea which device it's referring to, anything with a cell number I have clicked "off" . Android device, iOS device and tablet I have clicked "on". I have two actual cell numbers and one just shows the cell number, the others show cell number underneath iOS device and the other under at&t net10.

Feedback Score
    Now I can't post a screen shot!
    , but I'm thinking maybe I should totally clear everything from gv and start from new.. I will say the old way of gv forwarding seemed much easier. Hangouts incoming calls is so simple, it's either on or off, but I hate maintaining two apps when one can in theory do the same thing. For the foreseeable future I will always have an actual cell number, I the fact I don't need data to send and receive gv text and I did like the fact I didn't need data to send and receive calls on gv, I can live with incoming calls to my gv will need data, but I cannot get it to work. So for now I have Hangouts handling my incoming calls.
    I'd go back to my cell number but for the fact all my coworkers, clients and family have my GV number. Don't get me wrong, for the most part GV has been great and I love the fact I can send and receive sms on my tablet, other phones ect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast