Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket introduces Global data only plans from $9/month with 1GB LTE data

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score

Red Pocket introduces Global data only plans from $9/month with 1GB LTE data

Credit goes to momo1tx for posting this in another thread.

Important note: Information in the FAQ suggests this uses Sprint while in the US, meaning you need a Sprint-compatible device for US coverage.

Red Pocket now offers Global data only plans in two flavors:

Explorer plan (50 countries covered): $9/month with 1GB LTE data, $8 each additional GB

Jetsetter plan (150 countries covered): $15/month with 1GB LTE data, $14 each additional GB

Both plans include rollover data assuming you pay the base fee (e.g. $9) each month. SIM and shipping are free.
    Last edited by djphilosophy; 07-16-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Notable countries included and missing in the Explorer plan (50 countries) by region. This is not meant to be an all inclusive list, rather an overview to show some surprises, i.e. I would expect all countries in Europe to be included in the cheaper 50 country Explorer plan based on other global SIM offerings, but that isn't the case.

- Americas: US, Canada, Mexico -- Missing: most Central and South American countries

- Europe: UK, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Hungary, Croatia -- Missing: Ireland, Italy, Greece, Netherlands

- Asia: Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia (incl. Bali), Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines -- Missing: China, India, Nepal, Taiwan

- Oceania: Australia -- Missing: New Zealand

- Africa: Mayotte (island between Africa and Madagascar) -- Missing: everything else

The Jetsetter plan is closer to a truly global SIM, though still missing a few countries. It will be interesting to see if one can easily switch from the Explorer plan to the more inclusive Jetsetter plan and back as needed and still keep your rollover data.

Feedback Score
    I'm also interested in the list of devices that are "compatible." Seems like if you have the supported European/international bands in your phone, shouldn't they be eligible? When I tried to do an MEID check as if I were ordering one of the SIMS, it didn't work but instead put me on the page where the list of eligible devices were.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Regarding Sprint compatibility in the US, Sprint uses LTE bands 25, 26 and 41. I wonder if the SIM and service will work in the US as long as your device supports some or all of those bands, even if it doesn't support Sprint's (old) CDMA network. Basically, it could act as if you have a foreign SIM that allows roaming on Sprint's network.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Regarding Sprint compatibility in the US, Sprint uses LTE bands 25, 26 and 41. I wonder if the SIM and service will work in the US as long as your device supports some or all of those bands, even if it doesn't support Sprint's (old) CDMA network. Basically, it could act as if you have a foreign SIM that allows roaming on Sprint's network.
    Since specific phones require specific Sprint SIM cards, I wonder if SIM card compatibility has something to do with it? That's just a wild guess.

Feedback Score
    From RedPocket's FAQ:

Can I use the Red Pocket Global Internet service in the US?

Yes, you can use your Global Internet service in the US or anywhere in the eligible roaming region.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Strange why the SE is not supported, while phones as old as the 6 are supported. Would have been useful last year when I went to the UK. At least for my iPad. I probably spent double that or more for my UK 3 data SIM.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Rollover data.....nice!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    It appears that I can hotspot from my iPhone and Pixel 3 according to this page: https://help.goredpocket.com/hc/en-u...-Pocket-plans-
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Feedback Score
    was excited until I saw it was just sprint service

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I didn't even know CDMA S worked anywhere but the USA. I thought globally, it was GSM or nothing. Maybe CDMAV in China.

Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    I didn't even know CDMA S worked anywhere but the USA. I thought globally, it was GSM or nothing. Maybe CDMAV in China.

Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    I don't see anywhere where it was stated that it is using Sprint outside the US. 100% likely it is using international roaming charges arranged by somebody (RedPocket directly? Through Sprint?).

Just that, when used in the US, it is using Sprint coverage. But I don't know whether only native Sprint coverage, or whether it can roam like the CDMAS voice service can.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    I thought globally, it was GSM or nothing.
    It basically is. Japan and South Korea were the big non-GSM exceptions with CDMA-only networks. There are/were some random CDMA providers in countries that were otherwise all GSM.

If you look at Red Pocket's list of compatible devices for this plan, they're all higher end dual-mode CDMA / GSM devices, made to run on Sprint or Verizon in the US, and GSM (and 3G/UMTS, 4G/LTE) everywhere else.

Feedback Score
    Take this with an ENORMOUS grain of salt, as everyone knows Customer Service reps often don't know what they are talking about, but I asked two different Red Pocket customer service people specifically about using a Sprint-compatible (i.e. able to be activated on Sprint--in this case an unlocked Moto E4 Plus which passes Sprints IMEI check) phone if it could be used on the Global Data plan. After submitting my IMEI, both reps on separate occasions claimed that yes, it could. My suspicion is that any Sprint-eligible device that also supports GSM might be eligible for this plan, as I also suspect when Red Pocket acquired FreedomPop it also acquired the global SIM functionality that FreedomPop eventually discarded...just a wild guess of course. The only real way to tell of course is to buy one and try and be prepared for disappointment, and have a backup. I'm traveling internationally in Sept and I'm tempted just to try and see if this will work for a $15 experiment :-) ...

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That an interesting theory. First thing I thought about was whether this plan was somehow related to the acquisition of Freedompop business.

We need pioneers that don't mind the arrows in the back!

I wonder if my Umidigi F1 dual sim phone would work. It's got Sprint LTE bands but I haven't been able to test it as I don't have any Sprint Service.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast