Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Transfering apps

I must be tired, stressed, or having issues.

I activated my new Moto e5 (love it) and used the trafone app to transfer pics, ringtones, etc. But it doesnt do apps. So I got on google and looked. There is a program called Shareit that looks sooooooo simple. Full of ads but no matter, I thought I could delete the thing once I got my apps transfered from my LG G3. It doesnt work. the doner fone just keeps searching for the reciever fone. Yup, both blue tooths are on and paired, Then it says to connect to iOS/WP or Connect PC. What a piece of junk.

Next I tried "Share Apps APK transfer". Still a bunch of bloated ads that interfer with operation, No luck.

In both cases, I make sure the phones were paired.

This cant be that difficult.

What is an easy, or at least easiest way to transfer apps from one fone to another?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    What is an easy, or at least easiest way to transfer apps from one fone to another?
    There really isn't any good way to transfer apps from one phone to another. You can use the Backup function of phone A to backup its app settings (and maybe data) to your Google account. When you initially set up phone B, it'll ask if you want to copy the backup from phone A or "Set up as new". Choose "copy from phone A" and Google will set up phone B as much like phone A as it can, but it may not be a perfect clone.

Awhile back, a forum member wanted to copy the high score of a game he had on phone A. That info is stored deep in Android memory somewhere and Google doesn't back it up. He had to dig down to the system files (with ST Dog's help) but eventually found it and copied it over to phone B.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree that apps themselves are not transferable, but the data/settings may be if it was synced for backup with Google on the old phone. Once the Google account is set up on the new phone, you can see the previously installed apps in the Play Store app. Just reinstall the ones you want on the new phone. I would think you have to have an app installed before any saved data/settings would apply.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I agree that apps themselves are not transferable, but the data/settings may be if it was synced for backup with Google on the old phone. Once the Google account is set up on the new phone, you can see the previously installed apps in the Play Store app. Just reinstall the ones you want on the new phone. I would think you have to have an app installed before any saved data/settings would apply.
    I read a number of explainations on how people think they can do it and tried to follow their directions. Zilch. Its just easier to download the 15 apps every new phone.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    Its just easier to download the 15 apps every new phone.
    Google will do that automatically when you setup the new phone with the same Google account. If you have backup enabled some app setting will be restored as well, but it's up go each app which.

The only reliable backup/restore of apps and app data I've found is Titanium Backup but it requires root.

Some other apps (like sms/mms backup apps) claim to do some but I've never tried that.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Dog---what does this mean? "but it's up go each app which".

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    Dog---what does this mean? "but it's up go each app which".
    It's up to each app to decide which settings/config/data gets backed up through Google.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    If you have backup enabled some app setting will be restored as well, but it's up go each app which.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've long used an app called "APK Extractor" to repackage apps installed on one phone for installation on another phone. I've only used it to move single apps at a time so it's not super great to fully populate a new phone. And I typically use a computer as an intermediary.

I use this app to create the apk file; move it to my computer; and then download it to the target phone. I suppose you could directly move the repackaged apk file to the target phone via some form of peer-to-peer file sharing but I've not tried that.

I use the "free" version; I don't know what bells and whistles are offered in the for-pay version (perhaps multiple app transfers?). And, your target phone needs to be able to "side load" apps from non-Google-Play-store sources (typically a Developer Options setting). Finally, depending on the version of Android you use, Android might reject accepting downloads of apk files from certain sources because it thinks that is dangerous; another setting you might have to find and tweak.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Using APK Extractor to copy app to another phone is OK for doing a few apps, but a PITA to set up a new phone. On the new phone, I just go to Google Play, look at the list of apps under the LIBRARY column (which shows all the apps installed on all my Android devices) and select the ones I want to install on the new phone.

APK Extractor is useful when you like an app/version but it's no longer available on Google Play.

You can send the apk files that you created directly to the new phone using Bluetooth. No needs to go through your computer unless you want to keep a copy there.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    APK Extractor is useful when you like an app/version but it's no longer available on Google Play.
    APK Extractor works on 3rd party apps, but not on factory installed apps. The factory apps are locked in to only work on a particular phone setup. Yes, some apps disappear from Play Store. You can archive them on a computer once copied off a phone. Some of these can also be found on the APK websites.