Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket Verizon, VoLTE Now working on Galaxy S9 after update!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score

Red Pocket Verizon, VoLTE Now working on Galaxy S9 after update!

So its been known that Samsung devices after a certain update awhile back (android pie?) broke VoLTE for MVNO's. There was a July update recently. My S9 now gets VoLTE after doing the update! So if you have a samsung device that got a July update UPDATE IT!

Now under Mobile Networks, theres an option for VoLTE, (as the usual "advanced calling" option disapears when using a Redpocket-CDMAV sim. But seems a new option was added in this update which now allows it to work!

One thing to note, after the update, the carrier Name no longer says Verizon, it shows "Roaming indicator off" for whatever reason.

Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    So its been known that Samsung devices after a certain update awhile back (android pie?) broke VoLTE for MVNO's. There was a July update recently. My S9 now gets VoLTE after doing the update! So if you have a samsung device that got a July update UPDATE IT!

Now under Mobile Networks, theres an option for VoLTE, (as the usual "advanced calling" option disapears when using a Redpocket-CDMAV sim. But seems a new option was added in this update which now allows it to work!
    You are using a Red Pocket CDMAV sim, on a Samsung S9, with the July update of Android pie, and the phone works without any sort of work-a-round such as the emergency mode sim swap?

Feedback Score

One thing to note, after the update, the carrier Name no longer says Verizon, it shows "Roaming indicator off" for whatever reason.

what carrier did you buy the s9 originally from?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    You are using a Red Pocket CDMAV sim, on a Samsung S9, with the July update of Android pie, and the phone works without any sort of work-a-round such as the emergency mode sim swap?
    Yep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kreegaa View Post
    what carrier did you buy the s9 originally from?
    Was originally from Verizon. But the base flashed firmware is T-Mobile. And the update was a T-Mobile update.

Feedback Score
    Yep!
    I updated my S8+ but it had june as the latest. (pie 25)
    A no go for me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    I updated my S8+ but it had june as the latest. (pie 25)
    A no go for me.
    Whatís the build date? The update I got was still the June security patch, but it came out just recently. There was two June releases one last month and one this month. For the S9 anyway

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, s9+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    Just tried RP VZW in my S965U1 (s9+ with unlocked firmware) and it does work with the June update! Still shows it as XAA so it's LTE only, no CDMA. So it's a preview of what things will be like in a few months.

Will be interesting to see if the June update of the s8 does the same.
    Last edited by dmarkson; 07-18-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Clarified
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Whatís the build date? The update I got was still the June security patch, but it came out just recently. There was two June releases one last month and one this month. For the S9 anyway
    Release date: 06/03/2019
    Androidô Security Patch Level: May 1, 2019
    Software Version: PPR1.180610.011.G955USQU5DSDA

Feedback Score
    So its been known that Samsung devices after a certain update awhile back (android pie?) broke VoLTE for MVNO's.
    Nothing was broken.
    For Total Wireless the VoLTE was working for years. Samsung S7 Edge, S9, S10... they all had it working.
    What changed is probably that finaly RP provisioned their lines for that, forced by the imminent CDMA shutdown.

And now on TW... with today's increase in data buckets for the family plans (for my 4 lines, $100/mo, I get 100GB), I don't get why people would stay with Red Pocket anymore.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Nothing was broken.
    For Total Wireless the VoLTE was working for years. Samsung S7 Edge, S9, S10... they all had it working.
    What changed is probably that finaly RP provisioned their lines for that, forced by the imminent CDMA shutdown.

And now on TW... with today's increase in data buckets for the family plans (for my 4 lines, $100/mo, I get 100GB), I don't get why people would stay with Red Pocket anymore.
    Iím with red pocket as itís the cheapest way to keep a famous phone number..... $99 a year. Canít really beat that. As it canít be ported to any voip line. Iíve tried them all including google voice, itís not portable anywhere. Only cellular providers will take it. Iím not paying more than I need to for a line to sit, take calls and voicemails etc and redpocket is about as cheap as it gets.

I personally use T-Mobile /Metro for my other lines. Redpocket would drive me up the wall as my main cellular provider.

Another note it was broken for several other MVNOs of Verizon wasnít just redpocket. And yeah itís definitely a weird sim provision issue. As new sims had the option but once activated it would disappear. Also keep in mind it wasnít broken before the Android Pie update though. Even with the weird sim provisioning it works fine on older firmware versions prior to android pie.

Feedback Score
    You statement was general for all MVNO. That's not true, and for that I just give one example that TW was/is working.

So the correct statement can be "was broken with RP". Don't generalize.

As for the VoIP lines - I have converted two numbers via T-Mobile (their cheapest plan).
    If for you is worth $99 to have another number sitting there doing nothing, more power to you. But then... why do you care if VoLTE is working at all?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You statement was general for all MVNO. That's not true, and for that I just give one example that TW was/is working.

So the correct statement can be "was broken with RP". Don't generalize.

As for the VoIP lines - I have converted two numbers via T-Mobile (their cheapest plan).
    If for you is worth $99 to have another number sitting there doing nothing, more power to you. But then... why do you care if VoLTE is working at all?
    Itís nice to have it. If ever needed.

Would you get rid of a number that was from an 80s song? That carriers never give out due to its popularity?

Feedback Score
    Why don't you use that as the main number then?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Why don't you use that as the main number then?
    I actually thought about it when I got it years ago. But it gets 50+ calls a day. From spam, to prank calls, threating debt collectors for hundreds of different people. Canít do that as a main phone line haha.

Hoping one day I can eventually find a voip provider to port it too. I did find a few higher end ones but it was business class stuff at $24 a month which is way more than Iíd pay for something like this. But general providers itís not portable due to its location

It did come in handy last winter though, T-Mobile was unusable data wise during a several day power outage. Redpocket saved me during that time cause it actually worked, so itís nice to have a spare line for stuff like that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast