Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 5G Hotspot Launched

Feedback Score
    Millimeter wave frequencies would use specialized horn antennas that are highly directional. You wouldn't be able to just use a regular plastic omni.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cali_stud View Post
    i would not sign up for it since it uses the qualcomm X50 5G modem by the end of the year the qualcomm x55 modem will be out. once carriers start building out in rual areas there gonna start over laying 4g and 5g spectrum and the x50 will not support that. so this thing will be useless in a year LOL unless you live in a metro area as the x50 won't be able to connect to all of the new coverage areas verizon launches!!!
    That's a tad bit hyperbolic, don't you think? The LTE network isn't going anywhere, and low-band 5G has little advantage over 4G other than as a marketing ploy. Apple will be selling the 2019 iPhone into the summer of 2022, and people keep phones for up to 5 years, so LTE has to still be working in 2027. With DSS, there's no incentive to turn it off, spectrum will just dynamically move to 5G. It's unlikely that the networks will even reach half penetration of 5G devices before 2023 at the current sales and upgrade rates.

And all that time, the S10 5G can use mmWave, which Verizon will have deployed to tens of thousands of existing small cells, plus new ones going forward within the next two years.

Not that I actually recommend buying an S10 5G, I'd wait for another generation, but it's not a terrible buy today, and even if the mobile mmWave thing doesn't work out, it's still a great LTE device with an awesome screen and insane battery life.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    $649.99, $30/month on “unlimited plans” (probably just Beyond or Above Unlimited, but hopefully also FUDP), 15 GB LTE slowed to 600 Kbps afterward, 50 GB 5G slowed to 3 Mbps afterward, built-in Ethernet & USB-C ports.
    Huh? The phones themselves have Unlimited 5G MHS, at least unlimited until they melt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    That's a tad bit hyperbolic, don't you think? The LTE network isn't going anywhere, and low-band 5G has little advantage over 4G other than as a marketing ploy. Apple will be selling the 2019 iPhone into the summer of 2022, and people keep phones for up to 5 years, so LTE has to still be working in 2027. With DSS, there's no incentive to turn it off, spectrum will just dynamically move to 5G. It's unlikely that the networks will even reach half penetration of 5G devices before 2023 at the current sales and upgrade rates.
    The fact is 5G access is truly unlimited 4G isn't. So accessing 5G over low band is better than accessing it over 4G even if their wasn't any benefit bandwidthwise. Read the terms of the plans. The "best" 4G unlimited plans has 30 GB hotspot at 4G speeds then 600 kbps. Hotspot over 5G has unlimited highspeed GBs. Video is 720p over 4G, 4K over 5G. No deprioritization at all over 5G. So even if I was accessing the network over the same low/mid band spectrum as I would over 4G the "no limits' you get with 5G are worth it.

Also the new modems also greatly reduce battery drain and heat. The current 5G phones won't last 5 years due to either heat damage or battery death.

Feedback Score
    Huh? The phones themselves have Unlimited 5G MHS, at least unlimited until they melt.
    Which is why this jetpack and it's plan are waste of money. Why pay $80 for limited 5G when you can get unlimited 5G via phone hotpsot.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The fact is 5G access is truly unlimited 4G isn't. So accessing 5G over low band is better than accessing it over 4G even if their wasn't any benefit bandwidthwise. Read the terms of the plans. The "best" 4G unlimited plans has 30 GB hotspot at 4G speeds then 600 kbps. Hotspot over 5G has unlimited highspeed GBs. Video is 720p over 4G, 4K over 5G. No deprioritization at all over 5G. So even if I was accessing the network over the same low/mid band spectrum as I would over 4G the "no limits' you get with 5G are worth it.
    Sub-6 5G is not going to be Unlimited like 5G UWB. They just don't have the bandwidth to do that. So there is little advantage to sub-6 5G. I predict AT&T will go nuts touting their first nationwide 5G when it's really going to be a single 5x5 of n5. Big whoop.

Also the new modems also greatly reduce battery drain and heat. The current 5G phones won't last 5 years due to either heat damage or battery death.
    Hopefully they will. Battery longevity is an issue anyway, that's why there is uBreakiFix. The larger battery does help, since it doesn't have to be charged and discharged as much.

All that being said, if I had to get a new phone tomorrow, I'd probably get an S10+, even if AT&T got the S10 5G it's really not worth it yet.

Feedback Score
    Sub-6 5G is not going to be Unlimited like 5G UWB.
    You have internal documents stating it's not?

They just don't have the bandwidth to do that. So there is little advantage to sub-6 5G.
    Dear Lord with your obtuseness. Do you think 5G over mmwave and sub 6 GHz are not going to work together? Take about confusion in plans. So if you're in an area with 5G over mmwave AND 5G over sub 6 GHz AND 4G and the only one that is truly unlimited is 5G over mmwave how is one going figure that whole mess out? The phone says 5G and yet it's has depri and hotspot and video limits and you call Verizon and say "Hey my phone says 5G but I'm not getting unlimited hotspot and 4K video" and Verizon says "Oh that's only over 5G over mmwave not 5G over sub-6 GHz" T-Mobile has just won over another customer.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    You have internal documents stating it's not?
    Basic logic and physics dictate that it's not going to be Unlimited in the same way that mmWave is. It has only marginally more capacity than today's LTE.

Dear Lord with your obtuseness. Do you think 5G over mmwave and sub 6 GHz are not going to work together? Take about confusion in plans. So if you're in an area with 5G over mmwave AND 5G over sub 6 GHz AND 4G and the only one that is truly unlimited is 5G over mmwave how is one going figure that whole mess out? The phone says 5G and yet it's has depri and hotspot and video limits and you call Verizon and say "Hey my phone says 5G but I'm not getting unlimited hotspot and 4K video" and Verizon says "Oh that's only over 5G over mmwave not 5G over sub-6 GHz" T-Mobile has just won over another customer.
    That's why Verizon is branding mmWave as "5G UWB". Sub-6 5G will just be "5G", and the truly Unlimited data, 2160p streaming, etc, will only apply to "5G UWB". They simply can't do it on sub-6 5G. Obviously sub-6 and mmWave can work together, but so can mmWave and LTE.

I predict that carriers will rapidly build out sub-6 5G if and only if DSS works, and just let DSS do it's thing. If, for some reason, DSS doesn't work, then AT&T and Verizon will each roll out a nearly nationwide 5x5mhz block of n5 for the maps, and the rest will stay on LTE for at least 3-5 years.

I predict AT&T will be first to "nationwide 5G" with a basically pointless 5x5mhz block of DSS shared LTE/5G.

Feedback Score
    Basic logic and physics dictate that it's not going to be Unlimited in the same way that mmWave is. It has only marginally more capacity than today's LTE.
    You have clearly shown in your many many inane posts you do not use logic of any sort. As far as physics you do realize there will be additional spectrum available soon. CBRS, C-Band 5.9 GHz unlicensed. Not to mention 5G over 1900 or 1700/2100 can be 30% more efficient which isn't nothing.

That's why Verizon is branding mmWave as "5G UWB". Sub-6 5G will just be "5G", and the truly Unlimited data, 2160p streaming, etc, will only apply to "5G UWB". They simply can't do it on sub-6 5G. Obviously sub-6 and mmWave can work together, but so can mmWave and LTE.
    In other words NO you do not have any proof. So wise guy so if your device is connecting to BOTH UWB and sub 6GHz spectrum at the same time is only half the data going to count?

I predict that carriers will rapidly build out sub-6 5G if and only if DSS works, and just let DSS do it's thing. If, for some reason, DSS doesn't work, then AT&T and Verizon will each roll out a nearly nationwide 5x5mhz block of n5 for the maps, and the rest will stay on LTE for at least 3-5 years.

I predict AT&T will be first to "nationwide 5G" with a basically pointless 5x5mhz block of DSS shared LTE/5G.
    Stop predicting things you suck at it.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    You have clearly shown in your many many inane posts you do not use logic of any sort. As far as physics you do realize there will be additional spectrum available soon. CBRS, C-Band 5.9 GHz unlicensed. Not to mention 5G over 1900 or 1700/2100 can be 30% more efficient which isn't nothing.
    That additional spectrum isn't going to be operational for several years, and won't cover the same area that n5 will. n5 has to be able to support whatever the plans support for sub-6 operation. 30% on n2/4 is nowhere close to enough to make truly Unlimited hotspot work on sub-6 spectrum, and n2/4 aren't available in some areas far from towers where only n5 and eventually n13 will cover.

In other words NO you do not have any proof. So wise guy so if your device is connecting to BOTH UWB and sub 6GHz spectrum at the same time is only half the data going to count?
    Then it will route data over UWB, since it has gigabit-class bandwidth already with only a small amount of mmWave deployed, versus sub-6 that's all utilized and usually can't do 1/10th of that.

Stop predicting things you suck at it.
    Stop being a nasty curmudgeon who has to argue with everyone over everything, even when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

Feedback Score
    That additional spectrum isn't going to be operational for several years, and won't cover the same area that n5 will. n5 has to be able to support whatever the plans support for sub-6 operation. 30% on n2/4 is nowhere close to enough to make truly Unlimited hotspot work on sub-6 spectrum, and n2/4 aren't available in some areas far from towers where only n5 and eventually n13 will cover.
    Carriers will start using CBRS within 2-3 months. Verizon has stated they will be implementing DSS next year

Then it will route data over UWB, since it has gigabit-class bandwidth already with only a small amount of mmWave deployed, versus sub-6 that's all utilized and usually can't do 1/10th of that.
    If it's going to route the data over UWB and UWB is truly unlimited then sub 6 GHz data will also be unlimited without restrictions. So you just contradicted yourself

Stop being a nasty curmudgeon who has to argue with everyone over everything, even when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.
    I don't argue with everyone, just you and more people agree that YOU are the one that doesn't know anything. Me nasty? What did you do to get banned under the username GSMinCT? I am shocked they they haven't banned you again for posting under a new username despite being banned.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Carriers will start using CBRS within 2-3 months. Verizon has stated they will be implementing DSS next year
    I doubt they can do much with CBRS that quickly. We'll see.

If it's going to route the data over UWB and UWB is truly unlimited then sub 6 GHz data will also be unlimited without restrictions. So you just contradicted yourself
    That makes literally no sense. Sub-6 data is NOT going to be Unlimited, and the phone will tell you when you have 5G UWB or not. Sub-6 5G will count the same way as 4G.

I don't argue with everyone, just you and more people agree that YOU are the one that doesn't know anything. Me nasty? What did you do to get banned under the username GSMinCT? I am shocked they they haven't banned you again for posting under a new username despite being banned.
    And why do you think I'm this GSMinCT person?

Feedback Score
    I doubt they can do much with CBRS that quickly. We'll see.
    Since you're always wrong suggests that they'll be able to do a lot. On Verizon all 3 Note 10 models as well as the s10 5G have band 48 antennas. As well as the LG V50. Google intends to enable band 48 on Pixel 3 models via software update which means you can be assured that it will be on the Pixel 4. And you can be sure ALL models released in 2020 will be required to have band 48 support

That makes literally no sense. Sub-6 data is NOT going to be Unlimited, and the phone will tell you when you have 5G UWB or not. Sub-6 5G will count the same way as 4G.
    You think people are going to pay attention to whether the phone says 5G UWB or just 5G? Especially if they are watching video or using their phones as a hotspot? I'll state again if Verizon takes this stupid approach customers will leave in droves.

And why do you think I'm this GSMinCT person?
    Well let's see you're both from CT and less than 24 hours after he's banned you sign up to this site and you both say the exact same things I mean exact same thoughts, ideas, manner of writing. Coincidence?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Since you're always wrong suggests that they'll be able to do a lot. On Verizon all 3 Note 10 models as well as the s10 5G have band 48 antennas. As well as the LG V50. Google intends to enable band 48 on Pixel 3 models via software update which means you can be assured that it will be on the Pixel 4. And you can be sure ALL models released in 2020 will be required to have band 48 support
    I'm sure they're in a rush to get it out, due to their lousy spectrum position. Meanwhile, AT&T doesn't need it, they've got a ton of spectrum deployed and they don't even need nearly as many small cells as Verizon.

You think people are going to pay attention to whether the phone says 5G UWB or just 5G? Especially if they are watching video or using their phones as a hotspot? I'll state again if Verizon takes this stupid approach customers will leave in droves.
    ROFL. People will leave Verizon for tricks and games? They have a ginormous network, and there are only two providers with that sort of coverage and network, so no, they aren't going to leave in droves because they don't get unlimited data that they never had before on sub-6 5G. That's completely idiotic.

Well let's see you're both from CT and less than 24 hours after he's banned you sign up to this site and you both say the exact same things I mean exact same thoughts, ideas, manner of writing. Coincidence?
    You might want to check your dates there. You're getting confused in your old age.

Feedback Score
    Meanwhile, AT&T doesn't need it, they've got a ton of spectrum deployed and they don't even need nearly as many small cells as Verizon.
    Name:  448.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  33.9 KB

ROFL. People will leave Verizon for tricks and games? They have a ginormous network, and there are only two providers with that sort of coverage and network, so no, they aren't going to leave in droves because they don't get unlimited data that they never had before on sub-6 5G. That's completely idiotic.
    People won't leave if they are promised unlimited data with no depri, no video throttling and no caps on hotspot and then they don't get those things?

You might want to check your dates there. You're getting confused in your old age.
    Last post ever by GSMinCT
    06-28-2018, 10:04 PM
    Thread: AT&T 4G HSPA+/LTE Speedtests!
    by GSMinCT
    Replies 19,591
    Views 1,781,119
    My personal record for LTE from Orange, CT: ...
    My personal record for LTE from Orange, CT:

https://imgur.com/a/TYlefr5

SoxFan76

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast