Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doj likely to sue if Tmobile doesnt have agreement by next week

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Doj likely to sue if Tmobile doesnt have agreement by next week

Such a crazy deal this has been with the T-Mobile sprint potential merger. Saw this posted elsewhere

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-u-j...145137224.html

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Pointless article. Same information we knew for months.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    "....WASHINGTON, July 18 (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department would sue to block the merger of T-Mobile US Inc and Sprint Corp if the parties do not settle next week,...."

SETTLE what? There's so many facets to this. Settle what?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Pointless article. Same information we knew for months.
    You knew for months that T-Mobile and Sprint needed to sell assets by July 26th in order to avoid a DOJ lawsuit? Because that's what the article says. If so, when did you first hear that?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Wow! The DOJ turns around and sues Sprint & T-Mobile? I am just not grasping this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If John would get a decent haircut & wear a nice suit then Dad would stop punishing him.

Not joking.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here is an article with more details and much clearer explanation:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...le-sprint-deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    If John would get a decent haircut & wear a nice suit then Dad would stop punishing him.

Not joking.
    Yeah, but if he did that, we wouldn't think he was some kind of hip, rebel maverick with the consumer's best interest at heart (which he isn't) and instead see him as yet another soulless CEO out to maximize corporate profits and his bonus at all costs (which he is.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    T-Mobile should know, to the penny, what it costs to build and operate a wireless network. They should be happy to offer to host other carriers at just slightly less than that price. It's like renting a tool. After you've rented it twice, you could have bought it.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Option 1:
    So if the Merger goes through Dish, Google and big Cable May band together to make a formidable fourth Carrier.

Option 2:
    If the merger does not proceed Dish, Google and big Cable buyout Sprint, making a formidable 4th carrier.

The only difference is option 2 does not require the Network Sharing Agreement and T-Mobile loses the money they invested in the merger.

I hope DT can come to an agreement where they do not have to invest in a potential competitor.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Option 1:
    So if the Merger goes through Dish, Google and big Cable May band together to make a formidable fourth Carrier.

Option 2:
    If the merger does not proceed Dish, Google and big Cable buyout Sprint, making a formidable 4th carrier.

The only difference is option 2 does not require the Network Sharing Agreement and T-Mobile loses the money they invested in the merger.

I hope DT can come to an agreement where they do not have to invest in a potential competitor.
    Actually, no. First, Dish is hoping, once the deal is done, that they can attract a real partner that will build out the network for them. Charlie has never shown any actual network into getting a network built out, nor does he have the money to. Worse, he loses much of his spectrum if this deal doesn't go through, as he needs to build it out by this time next year and hasn't started yet. Allegedly, part of the deal with the government is that, in exchanged for agreeing to build a fourth carrier, that the government will "restart the clock" on the spectrum Dish owns, they will no longer have the July 2020 deadline.

And second, if the deal doesn't go through there likely will be little to no interest in buying Sprint. The issue is that Sprint has too much debt, and is losing money. Dish may get cable companies to sign on, if the deal goes through, because T-Mobile would absorbed Sprint's debt and Dish would have bought enough assets to start building out a fourth carrier. But without the merger, no one is buying Sprint (which means taking on its debt).

At this point, from what I see, in order for the deal to go through, T-Mobile will have to drop their requirement that cable companies not be allowed to invest more than 5% in Dish.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    Actually, no. First, Dish is hoping, once the deal is done, that they can attract a real partner that will build out the network for them. Charlie has never shown any actual network into getting a network built out, nor does he have the money to. Worse, he loses much of his spectrum if this deal doesn't go through, as he needs to build it out by this time next year and hasn't started yet. Allegedly, part of the deal with the government is that, in exchanged for agreeing to build a fourth carrier, that the government will "restart the clock" on the spectrum Dish owns, they will no longer have the July 2020 deadline.

And second, if the deal doesn't go through there likely will be little to no interest in buying Sprint. The issue is that Sprint has too much debt, and is losing money. Dish may get cable companies to sign on, if the deal goes through, because T-Mobile would absorbed Sprint's debt and Dish would have bought enough assets to start building out a fourth carrier. But without the merger, no one is buying Sprint (which means taking on its debt).

At this point, from what I see, in order for the deal to go through, T-Mobile will have to drop their requirement that cable companies not be allowed to invest more than 5% in Dish.
    Why wouldn’t a consortium of Google, Dish & say Comcast buy Sprint? I am sure they could absorb the debt as well as Deutsche Telecom can. I think Dish already tried to buy Sprint from Masayoshi Son a few years back.

I think out of these three I like the idea of Google buying Sprint.

At the end of the day with the 4 carrier mandate I wonder if it is “6 of one or half-dozen of the other” (i.e. basically the same outcome).

I hope all the merger effort is not wasted, but perhaps a better partnership awaits Sprint, like Google.

On the other hand if Sprint would become like a Sears or Toy’R’Us in the land of Amazon.com that would be a disaster and it would be better to avoid a catastrophe like that by merging with T-Mobile now and rolling out 5G.

Then there is coverage...Sprint really needs T-Mobile to help expand its coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Why wouldn’t a consortium of Google, Dish & say Comcast buy Sprint? I am sure they could absorb the debt as well as Deutsche Telecom can. I think Dish already tried to buy Sprint from Masayoshi Son a few years back.
    No, Dish never seriously attempted to buy Sprint. Dish did "attempt" to buy T-Mobile, when the Sprint attempt to merge died a couple of years ago -- but arguably it wasn't a serious attempt. Charlie's offer was very low, not one that would ever be taken seriously. As for why these companies would not buy Sprint now, the first is that Sprint has serious issues. Softbank bought Sprint, after having success buying a mobile company and turning it around in Japan, yet they failed miserably with Sprint. Some of this is due to "corporate culture," which Softbank never really fixed.

Another part of the reason for this is Sprint's spectrum, they have very little low band spectrum -- which is needed to build out the network in rural areas. Without low band spectrum, you have to build towers too close together, which greatly increases cost. So not only would a company have an issue with buying Sprint's debt, and Sprint losing money every quarter, but they'd also have major issues trying to build out the network in rural areas.

In the case of T-Mobile, they aren't terribly worried about Sprint's culture, since they'll be disbanding it -- workers will be retained, but they'll be absorbed into T-Mobile's culture, which has been very good. Next, T-Mobile has spent the last few years dealing with their own lack of low band spectrum and have largely solved it -- with the 600 Mhz auction. At this point, T-Mobile's need is 5G, and Sprints spectrum is ideally suited to helping T-Mobile get that built out.

I think out of these three I like the idea of Google buying Sprint.
    While you might like the idea, apparently Google doesn't. They have never made any attempt to buy Sprint, at least that we are aware of. While there are reports they are talking to Dish, Google claims it isn't about building a network. My personal guess is that it is to gain MVNO status with Dish, so they still retain a second national network for Google Fi, once Sprint is gone.

At the end of the day with the 4 carrier mandate I wonder if it is “6 of one or half-dozen of the other” (i.e. basically the same outcome).

I hope all the merger effort is not wasted, but perhaps a better partnership awaits Sprint, like Google.

On the other hand if Sprint would become like a Sears or Toy’R’Us in the land of Amazon.com that would be a disaster and it would be better to avoid a catastrophe like that by merging with T-Mobile now and rolling out 5G.

Then there is coverage...Sprint really needs T-Mobile to help expand its coverage.
    Reports from yesterday indicate that the deal is going through -- that with the deadline, T-Mobile is dropping the 5% rule -- and we can expect the deal to be announced early next week. We should also, possibly even with the deal announcement, hear that the Justice department is signing off on the merger. At that point there is only the 14 states that are suing to block the deal, though most of their arguments are rendered moot by the Dish agreement, since it keeps a fourth carrier.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post

Another part of the reason for this is Sprint's spectrum, they have very little low band spectrum -- which is needed to build out the network in rural areas. Without low band spectrum, you have to build towers too close together, which greatly increases cost. So not only would a company have an issue with buying Sprint's debt, and Sprint losing money every quarter, but they'd also have major issues trying to build out the network in rural areas.

In the case of T-Mobile, they aren't terribly worried about Sprint's culture, since they'll be disbanding it -- workers will be retained, but they'll be absorbed into T-Mobile's culture, which has been very good. Next, T-Mobile has spent the last few years dealing with their own lack of low band spectrum and have largely solved it -- with the 600 Mhz auction. At this point, T-Mobile's need is 5G, and Sprints spectrum is ideally suited to helping T-Mobile get that built out.
    Yes SMR 800/Band 26 from Nextel is not sufficient. T-Mobile’s 600/700 would be great for the rural areas. I don’t know a lot about Sprint’s Company Culture but I thought the move to more regional teams was supposed to help.

Verizon is in the pickle though not nearly as bad since they have 700 MHz is some areas. They just need to build 3 times as many towers as everyone else because of their spectrum shortage.

For a company short on money like Sprint rolling out 10 times as many Macros and Small Cells would be challenging.

And you are right anyone who would have wanted to buy Sprint already had their chance.
    Last edited by techfranz; 07-20-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Verizon is in the pickle though not nearly as bad since they have 700 MHz is some areas..
    they have 700 in ALL areas. they own nationwide band 13. Also their spectrum "issues" is wishful thinking by haters/rivals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast