Thread: Will globalstar ever offer pre-paid phone minutes that don’t require a 12 year agreem

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Will globalstar ever offer pre-paid phone minutes that don’t require a 12 year agreem

I’ve research this and it appears that they stopped offering no-contract plans in 2016. This is the one thing that is turning me away from possibly not buying a phone from them. Globalstar is really all that is within a reasonable cost for me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    8 1/2 months since the last post, thought this sub was dead.
    Yea it's sad that globalstar ended their prepaaid service, the 1600 and 1700 are pretty cheap on ebay unlike iridium, inmarsat and thuraya phones which cost much more.
    For north america the inmarsat prepaid is the next cheapest per minute.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    8 1/2 months since the last post, thought this sub was dead.
    Yea it's sad that globalstar ended their prepaaid service, the 1600 and 1700 are pretty cheap on ebay unlike iridium, inmarsat and thuraya phones which cost much more.
    For north america the inmarsat prepaid is the next cheapest per minute.
    I wouldn’t mind spending even $100 for a month’s worth of 10 minutes. I’m only looking for something I can use in an emergency when camping.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by W5NIO View Post
    I wouldn’t mind spending even $100 for a month’s worth of 10 minutes. I’m only looking for something I can use in an emergency when camping.
    Have you looked at the InReach GPS devices? Two-way text satellite communicators. Much smaller and less expensive than voice and I think they have an "SOS" button.

I carried my Iridium phone while backpacking on Isle Royale. I bought a used prepaid SIM on eBay with a month and about 30 minutes left. Used it a couple of times but it only worked from the top of hills, where the horizon was clear. Same place the wind is always blowing. Made conversations kind of difficult.

Early on, GlobalStar in North America had a SIM-less phone that roamed on Verizon. The European phones had a SIM and roamed GSM. Did they ever use a SIM in North America? That may be why they don't sell temporary prepaid service. Too much trouble without a SIM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Have you looked at the InReach GPS devices? Two-way text satellite communicators. Much smaller and less expensive than voice and I think they have an "SOS" button.

I carried my Iridium phone while backpacking on Isle Royale. I bought a used prepaid SIM on eBay with a month and about 30 minutes left. Used it a couple of times but it only worked from the top of hills, where the horizon was clear. Same place the wind is always blowing. Made conversations kind of difficult.

Early on, GlobalStar in North America had a SIM-less phone that roamed on Verizon. The European phones had a SIM and roamed GSM. Did they ever use a SIM in North America? That may be why they don't sell temporary prepaid service. Too much trouble without a SIM.
    The GlobalStar 1600 is trimode AMPS/CDMA/Satellite; You're thinking of the Thuraya phones, they're 2G GSM and sat, you can use them on T-Mobile on 2G mode but no satellite service in north and south america.
    Someone has invented a way for regular cell phones to use satellite service without the sleves, it would put sat companies out of buisness.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    ...... You're thinking of the Thuraya phones, they're 2G GSM and sat, you can use them on T-Mobile on 2G mode but no satellite service in north and south america.....
    No, I know what Thuraya is. I'm thinking of the Ericsson R290 handset from the European (Italian) GlobalStar company. They were dual mode: SAT/GSM and used a SIM. They didn't sell a lot of them. I don't know about now but in the old days, GlobalStar coverage was divided into regions: North America, South America, Europe, Australia, etc. If you call went through a ground station outside your home region they tacked on a rather large roaming fee.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't know that Globalstar phones used GSM, I doubt that phone is still supported anyways.
    Another thing I didn't like about Globalstar prepaid was the $50 activation fee.
    I have several Inmarsat and Iridium phones as as far as I know they're all satellite only.
    Roaming fees on satellite, ouch!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The roaming fees and limited coverage prompted the sarcastic nickname, "Localstar". I don't actually know if the R290 satellite side was activated by the SIM or if it had to be programmed and the SIM was just for the GSM side. The original Iridium phones were dual-mode: sat/terrestrial. The Kiocera phones used a slip-over sleeve. The Motorola phones had a module that clipped inside the back, GSM-900 or analog, depending on where you were. The DOD phones used the spot for the cell module for an encryption module.