Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

T-Mobile and Sprints deal with Dish Network is reportedly imminent

https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/t-mobi...to-doj-threat/

Small excerpt from article:
    The deal will include a spectrum-hosting agreement that will give Dish the chance to offer national wireless service within a year of the sales closing, sources said.

T-Mobile and its parent company Deutsche Telekom have also agreed to drop their demands that Dish, owned by billionaire Charlie Ergen, not sell more than a 5% stake in his company to a potential wireless partner, like Google.
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's all good news. The 5% condition is not a deal-breaker. Yes, someone could buy Dish and resell T-Mobile spectrum in the short-term. But really, so what? Once that wholesale agreement ends, if the 4th network does not match T-mobile in quality, it would be really easy for T-mobile to get all of those customers back onto their network.

The main thing is that the agreement with Dish is made and that the DOJ signs off. Then T-Mobile can fight the states. But with the 4th carrier plans, the states won't have strong arguments and its questionable that they even have standing to fight this.

Like I said, it looks good.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What I'm reading is that the mother ship, DT, is the only thing keeping this from happening by the end of the week. They may decide not to pull the trigger.

It would be interesting if that were the case. Dish could always go to Sprint and say let us piggyback on your network in exchange for use of our low band spectrum and we'll bring in some investors to make that network expansion possible - Google, Charter, Altice et all. I think at some point Son would welcome any new money regardless of the terms as the alternative for Sprint isn't very good otherwise. It wouldn't have to be some huge cash infusion from any individual cable co either if they all came in for a piece - including Google who has local fiber in several markets.

I've never seen anything about this online but cable cos could easily become huge small cell players in metro areas. I think Altice has brought on 20,000+ small cells for Sprint in their local areas - I guess Sprint has reciprocal rights on those.

Anyway this is pretty much at a close.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It will be late 2020 or more likely 2021 before all this is up and running so well see how it all turns out a couple of years down the road. Im actually more interested to see how satellite broadband will change the landscape for internet providers.
    Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    It will be late 2020 or more likely 2021 before all this is up and running so we’ll see how it all turns out a couple of years down the road. I’m actually more interested to see how satellite broadband will change the landscape for internet providers.
    Initial tests of actual unloaded peak speeds and latency look pretty good but still no claims about capacity re data caps from anyone.

I believe despite claims that it will be a couple of years before these are up and running in any real capacity also though.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...y-in-new-test/

OneWeb’s low-Earth satellites hit 400Mbps and 32ms latency in new test

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wake me up when this deal is done one way or another. Depending on how much Spectrum The New T-Mobile must sell to Dish and how much discount Dish gets to be the backbone for Dish/Boost Mobile, will determine if this was a good deal taking on all the billions of debt from Sprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/22/t-mo...this-week.html

The Department of Justice is nearing approval of T-Mobiles merger with Sprint. An announcement could happen as soon as Wednesday, sources say.

As part of a deal, Dish will be propped up to better compete as a new national U.S. wireless competitor.

While Deutsche Telekom, the controlling owner of the combined Sprint and T-Mobile, is concerned about Dishs competitive threat, it has decided that moving forward without Sprint is a worse outcome than helping Dish.

• First, even if Dish partners with a big-balance-sheet company and builds out a national network, losing Sprint would allow a large tech company or cable operator to buy the Sprint network and spectrum out of bankruptcy or for a cut-rate price.
    • Second, for every customer that signs up to Dishs wireless network, T-Mobile will receive about half of the economics, according to people familiar with the matter. Thats the price Dish has agreed to pay to share T-Mobiles network.
    • And third, T-Mobile needs to get more competitive with AT&T and Verizon as U.S. customers move to 5G in the coming years. Subscribers will have a chance to reset providers based on who has the most reliable, fastest network with new handsets and new technology. T-Mobile could be at a severe disadvantage to its larger competitors if it doesnt have the necessary resources and capacity to keep up.
    The Internet wasnt meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so its insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead its a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text. John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think I've restrained myself from saying this in 10 days or so, so....

This deal won't happen.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/22/t-mo...this-week.html

The Department of Justice is nearing approval of T-Mobiles merger with Sprint. An announcement could happen as soon as Wednesday, sources say.

As part of a deal, Dish will be propped up to better compete as a new national U.S. wireless competitor.

While Deutsche Telekom, the controlling owner of the combined Sprint and T-Mobile, is concerned about Dishs competitive threat, it has decided that moving forward without Sprint is a worse outcome than helping Dish.

• First, even if Dish partners with a big-balance-sheet company and builds out a national network, losing Sprint would allow a large tech company or cable operator to buy the Sprint network and spectrum out of bankruptcy or for a cut-rate price.
    • Second, for every customer that signs up to Dishs wireless network, T-Mobile will receive about half of the economics, according to people familiar with the matter. Thats the price Dish has agreed to pay to share T-Mobiles network.
    • And third, T-Mobile needs to get more competitive with AT&T and Verizon as U.S. customers move to 5G in the coming years. Subscribers will have a chance to reset providers based on who has the most reliable, fastest network with new handsets and new technology. T-Mobile could be at a severe disadvantage to its larger competitors if it doesnt have the necessary resources and capacity to keep up.
    This is all great news. I totally believe that it is essential that T-Mobile close this merger now for the very reasons listed. It is vital they are in a better position to compete with AT&T and Verizon with 5G coming.

Furthermore, I don't think Dish will ever be a threat to make a 4th nationwide network. Charlie is going to sit on these spectrum assets that he's getting from T-Mobile. And I predict in a few years, he'll try to merge them back into the new T-Mobile. He'll be smart enough not to offer really low prices on Boost, so nobody will be able to say that they'll lose his low prices if he merges. T-Mobile could end up in an even better spectrum position in the future if they got all of Charlies merged in with them.

Good things on the road ahead!

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Interesting times indeed. I think T-Mo could get by without this but it'll put them in a strong position spectrum-wise that's for sure.

Dish? Charlie's a real character.. I could see it going either way, building up a new 4th carrier (since they'd be starting a network from scratch and I doubt could compete on coverage, I assume they'd be competing on price instead), or option b, try to keep getting buildout requirement dates pushed later, and sell the spectrum for a nice profit later on.

If I were in a position like Dish, i could see having some vendor design them a microcell that costs more like computer technology and less like telecom hardware, if the microcell hardware was like $500-1000 they could get a network built out reasonably economically (obviously the massive backhaul requirement would cost a fair amount...) (This doesn't address rural, which needs high power sites, but for a brand new network from scratch I assume just like both T-Mo and Sprint early on, and really any carrier in it's infancy, they would run in city coverage and some highway corridors first and roll out elsewhere later.)

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    What I'm reading is that the mother ship, DT, is the only thing keeping this from happening by the end of the week. They may decide not to pull the trigger.

It would be interesting if that were the case. Dish could always go to Sprint and say let us piggyback on your network in exchange for use of our low band spectrum and we'll bring in some investors to make that network expansion possible - Google, Charter, Altice et all. I think at some point Son would welcome any new money regardless of the terms as the alternative for Sprint isn't very good otherwise. It wouldn't have to be some huge cash infusion from any individual cable co either if they all came in for a piece - including Google who has local fiber in several markets.

I've never seen anything about this online but cable cos could easily become huge small cell players in metro areas. I think Altice has brought on 20,000+ small cells for Sprint in their local areas - I guess Sprint has reciprocal rights on those.

Anyway this is pretty much at a close.
    This issue with Sprint is they are hemorrhaging money -- to the point they've been giving away service, and even now you can get their unlimited for $25/month. It does Dish no good to do a spectrum hosting deal with Sprint, as Sprint can't afford to build it out. There are good reasons no one has shown interest in buying Sprint, other than T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Interesting times indeed. I think T-Mo could get by without this but it'll put them in a strong position spectrum-wise that's for sure.

Dish? Charlie's a real character.. I could see it going either way, building up a new 4th carrier (since they'd be starting a network from scratch and I doubt could compete on coverage, I assume they'd be competing on price instead), or option b, try to keep getting buildout requirement dates pushed later, and sell the spectrum for a nice profit later on.

If I were in a position like Dish, i could see having some vendor design them a microcell that costs more like computer technology and less like telecom hardware, if the microcell hardware was like $500-1000 they could get a network built out reasonably economically (obviously the massive backhaul requirement would cost a fair amount...) (This doesn't address rural, which needs high power sites, but for a brand new network from scratch I assume just like both T-Mo and Sprint early on, and really any carrier in it's infancy, they would run in city coverage and some highway corridors first and roll out elsewhere later.)
    My guess is that Charlie is going to look for someone to build the network for him -- likely a deal with Amazon or the cable companies. I'm sure this is why DT was wanting the 5% limit, as they are worried who actually will be running the new 4th carrier (and that it won't be Dish). At the same time, a stronger 4th carrier is likely better for us, as consumers.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    .......My guess is that Charlie is going to look for someone to build the network for him -- likely a deal with Amazon or the cable companies. I'm sure this is why DT was wanting the 5% limit, as they are worried who actually will be running the new 4th carrier (and that it won't be Dish). At the same time, a stronger 4th carrier is likely better for us, as consumers.
    I think it requires a change of mindset on the part of carriers but the ability to spread infrastructure costs across multiple networks should have a huge impact on the bottom line. If T-Mobile gets someone else to pay for 50%-70% of their network OPEX and CAPEX, just think about the coverage and service they could provide. How much more efficient their operation can be. Everyone acts as if T-Mobile will be hosting DISH's spectrum for free! I've seen nothing to indicate this. This should be a huge income stream. Carriers long ago got used to sharing towers. Now, they just have to get used to sharing antennas.

P.S. My only real problem with this deal is that it gets DISH out from under the FCC's build-out requirements and I really would have like to see DISH forced to forfeit those licenses.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 07-23-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    T-Mobile and Sprint are renegotiating the sale price due to Sprints assets needing to be divested.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...ation.amp.html

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I think it requires a change of mindset on the part of carriers but the ability to spread infrastructure costs across multiple networks should have a huge impact on the bottom line. If T-Mobile gets someone else to pay for 50%-70% of their network OPEX and CAPEX, just think about the coverage and service they could provide. How much more efficient their operation can be. Everyone acts as if T-Mobile will be hosting DISH's spectrum for free! I've seen nothing to indicate this. This should be a huge income stream. Carriers long ago got used to sharing towers. Now, they just have to get used to sharing antennas.

P.S. My only real problem with this deal is that it gets DISH out from under the FCC's build-out requirements and I really would have like to see DISH forced to forfeit those licenses.
    All very good points.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

T-Mobile and Sprints deal with Dish Network is reportedly imminent

More news that sounds like the deal is wrapping up...

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...ireless-assets

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast