Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Drawbacks to Google Voice

Some drawbacks to Google Voice that I have found include,

Not being able to send emojis and special characters (foreign and letters with accents) to Canadian cell phone numbers and not being able to send text messages to Telcel cell phone numbers in Mexico. I can receive texts, emojis and special characters from both Canada and Mexico though.

Are there any other limitations that I may not be aware of? I use GV as my primary number with a data plan so have no cell plan texting abilities.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had never noticed the first item listed. I just tested, and a text I sent with JUST emojis to Canadian # never came. A text I sent with (á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ, ¿, ¡) arrived, but without the accents and other special characters (in other words all messed up).

GV has never (at least not since 2009 when I got my 1st GV #) had the ability to send texts to any other #s besides US and Canadian, so that's not a surprise.

I did find another GV # limitation the other day. I was in a group chat with two real phone #s, and one member sent two vcards. I did NOT receive them on my GV #, while the other member with a real phone # did.

I have also used only data and GV #s with Hangouts, Ohihai, and computers since March, 2017. If I think of any other shortcomings, I'll post back.

As an aside, I also use TextNow for my Canadian phone # (US phone #s are also available), and it CAN text Mexican Telcel #s, in addition to #s on many carriers in over 100 countries. See https://supportwireless.textnow.com/...nternationally .

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    中国 , and probably other non-alphabet languages, does not work either to Canadian cell phone number but it does to US cell phone numbers and only some VoIP services.

I use TextMeUp and I can send texts to Mexico fine also. I'm not a fan of TextNow because of the ads.

FreedomPop works fine for texts to Mexico also, but it's not really unlimited so I don't bother.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
    中国 , and probably other non-alphabet languages, does not work either to Canadian cell phone number but it does to US cell phone numbers and only some VoIP services.

I use TextMeUp and I can send texts to Mexico fine also. I'm not a fan of TextNow because of the ads.

FreedomPop works fine for texts to Mexico also, but it's not really unlimited so I don't bother.
    Hmmm...I just read https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xtme3&hl=en_US for TextMe Up, and it shows "Contains Ads·Offers in-app purchases", and many of the reviews complain about the excessive ads. Also, the description says "Free SMS offer limited to US and Canada based users", so how are you texting Mexico for free with TextMe Up? On top of that, it looks like there is no free calling to real phone #s. So maybe TextMe Up wouldn't be good for me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Probably not a big deal to most people these days because of the plethora of messaging apps out there, but while Google Voice can now do picture messages, it still can't do video messages.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Probably not a big deal to most people these days because of the plethora of messaging apps out there, but while Google Voice can now do picture messages, it still can't do video messages.
    That's true, and another small reason why I keep using Hangouts instead of the GV app.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Hmmm...I just read https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xtme3&hl=en_US for TextMe Up, and it shows "Contains Ads·Offers in-app purchases", and many of the reviews complain about the excessive ads. Also, the description says "Free SMS offer limited to US and Canada based users", so how are you texting Mexico for free with TextMe Up? On top of that, it looks like there is no free calling to real phone #s. So maybe TextMe Up wouldn't be good for me.
    There are no ads on the messaging or calling screens. I find TextNow more obtrusive. There are as when one wants free credits or where for can buy credits. I have several thousand credits. Maybe once one buys credits the ads disappear.

It is indeed free for me to text Mexico. There is a rate finder feature within the app. If it's not free, it will also indicate, x credits/text, on the text input area.

I use Google voice to make out going calls but do receive calls on this number on occasion.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can’t send emojis to Canadian numbers. - Haven’t noticed that before but you’re right. I just tested. Text with emojis get sent without the emojis. All emojis msgs don’t get sent.

I prefer the GV app over Hangouts because GV is a lot like native text messaging - I can delete individual text messages. Works great when I’m sending passwords - can delete afterwards.