Thread: Sprint extended network vs roaming

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Sprint extended network vs roaming

I signed up for the unlimited kickstart plan and have a lot of extended network in my area. This shows usage as counting towards regular where actual roaming is metered. My question is, how am I able to take advantage of the extended network without being charged? I have only noticed the R next to my signal indicator when I am in an extended network area according to the map. I turned off data when roaming to avoid being charged. Is there a setting in the apn or certain setting I need to use in order to do this?

Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think I would start by making sure I had the most current PRL. Try doing a PRL update.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by signalchaser View Post
    I signed up for the unlimited kickstart plan and have a lot of extended network in my area. This shows usage as counting towards regular where actual roaming is metered. My question is, how am I able to take advantage of the extended network without being charged? I have only noticed the R next to my signal indicator when I am in an extended network area according to the map. I turned off data when roaming to avoid being charged. Is there a setting in the apn or certain setting I need to use in order to do this?
    First of all, Sprint never charges for roaming, unlike some other carriers, so you can and should just leave it on. (You can run over quota and have roaming limited at worst)..

Second, do not use the R to judge. Different phones show it or not without necessarily distinguishing correctly.

Instead, look at your Sprint Roaming total in your account or on the MySprint app. If it shows zero, it was treated as all extended regardless of what the phone showed.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-22-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The R is totally unreliable. Mine shows when it's on T-Mobile (Extended). Just leave it on and use your phone. If you really want to know, use LTE Discovery and it will show you the carrier code (sometimes anyway).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't think that the "Roaming" indicator means anything in the US any more with any US carrier. Several years ago it did matter.

In my experience, it only matters when used outside the US. Domestically, the carrier either enables you to roam or not at all, which avoids domestic roaming charges.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I don't think that the "Roaming" indicator means anything in the US any more with any US carrier. Several years ago it did matter.
    It is supposed to mean that you're Roaming (I think- it might also include Extended) on Sprint- it just doesn't work reliably at all, and will get "stuck" on or off at the wrong times.

I believe Verizon still accurately displays Extended (LTEiRA) and Roaming.