Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help me set up a home network!

Feedback Score

help me set up a home network!

I have a nighthawk and a Unite Explore. Recently purchased a google home mesh Wifi(with 3 pucks) so we can have better internet in the basement and throughout the house. However. It only works with the nighthawk through Ethernet, from what I can gather. So what do I do with the Explore? It has no Ethernet port. I have both internets because neither can handle 10 devices like they say they can. And itís best if things are divided on each Internet. Is there a way to do that that Iím missing with the google home? Or would something else be better for me? Iíd appreciate any advice. Asking here because I think a lot of you are familiar or have similar internet available to you, so you might know what I need. Thank you!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatie80 View Post
    I have a nighthawk and a Unite Explore. Recently purchased a google home mesh Wifi(with 3 pucks) so we can have better internet in the basement and throughout the house. However. It only works with the nighthawk through Ethernet, from what I can gather. So what do I do with the Explore? It has no Ethernet port. I have both internets because neither can handle 10 devices like they say they can. And it’s best if things are divided on each Internet. Is there a way to do that that I’m missing with the google home? Or would something else be better for me? I’d appreciate any advice. Asking here because I think a lot of you are familiar or have similar internet available to you, so you might know what I need. Thank you!!
    I use a cheap Wifi router with DD-WRT configured as a repeater bridge with my Mobley to get around the Mobley not having an Ethernet port. That gets me four Ethernet ports and 200+ Wifi clients through the Mobley. It also extends the Wifi range by the router having more signal power. Repeater bridge does not use any cables to the hotspot.

I don't know anything about Google mesh. How to combine both hotspots and Wifi networks is beyond me.

Feedback Score
    You use the nighthawk with the Ethernet.

You enable the passthrough function and use it like a modem and run it into the primary Ethernet of the main mesh router.

The mesh router will allow for more devices.

Now if the bandwidth is too low and you need the additional connection to AT&T, you can buy a Netgear cradle or an Asus router that supports hooking up to the explore using an USB connection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    You use the nighthawk with the Ethernet.

You enable the passthrough function and use it like a modem and run it into the primary Ethernet of the main mesh router.

The mesh router will allow for more devices.

Now if the bandwidth is too low and you need the additional connection to AT&T, you can buy a Netgear cradle or an Asus router that supports hooking up to the explore using an USB connection.
    Okay, that makes sense. Is it overkill? Could I just get 2 different routers to do the same thing instead of this whole network thing?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Why are you insistent on having to use both devices? I have a similar home setup. I use a NH with a mesh system. It covers my house and whole acre of property. Then I have my Unite Explore to take with me outside of TH house.

Feedback Score
    Suppose Iím not. I CURRENTLY need both systems to handle the load of everything we have running. Maybe the google mesh will do a fine job of routing the nighthawk through everything we have going(TVs, Xbox, computers) and the Explore will just be a back up outside of the house like you said.

So if I stick with the mesh system then, how do I get a signal in my basement? I tried it and it didnít work.

I appreciate you talking me through this-I really have no idea what Iím doing, or why. My kids just tell me itís what I need to do.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatie80 View Post
    Suppose Iím not. I CURRENTLY need both systems to handle the load of everything we have running. Maybe the google mesh will do a fine job of routing the nighthawk through everything we have going(TVs, Xbox, computers) and the Explore will just be a back up outside of the house like you said.

So if I stick with the mesh system then, how do I get a signal in my basement? I tried it and it didnít work.

I appreciate you talking me through this-I really have no idea what Iím doing, or why. My kids just tell me itís what I need to do.
    So you have already tried the Google mesh system and it didnít provide a good signal/speeds to your basement?

Feedback Score
    How big is your house? How fast is your AT&T connection?

I have a large house and to get coverage I have:

1. Three cheap AC routers I got on clearance. (Various brands). About $25 each.

2. Powerline adaptors I got on clearance at Walmart. $17 per set.

3. Main cable modem/router on 1st floor behind TV.

4. Powerline adaptors running to second and third floor with router #2 and #3.

Router #2 and #3 are set up as access doints. (Turn off DHCP and plug input into lan side).

Powerline limits the speed to about 100 Mbps to the two addon routers.

Just replace the cable modem with the nighthawk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    How big is your house? How fast is your AT&T connection?

I have a large house and to get coverage I have:

1. Three cheap AC routers I got on clearance. (Various brands). About $25 each.

2. Powerline adaptors I got on clearance at Walmart. $17 per set.

3. Main cable modem/router on 1st floor behind TV.

4. Powerline adaptors running to second and third floor with router #2 and #3.

Router #2 and #3 are set up as access doints. (Turn off DHCP and plug input into lan side).

Powerline limits the speed to about 100 Mbps to the two addon routers.

Just replace the cable modem with the nighthawk.
    You mean like these routers with 50% off coupons and free shipping? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...71662b62f70SEM

Feedback Score
    That would work with the nighthawk.

For the explore, I would pick one that is comparable with the "rooter" software from "of modems and men" as it is designed to work with LTE hotspots using the USB connection.

You could also go with a ZTE MF288 for about $70 on eBay and move the sim from the explore.
    Last edited by wwglen; 07-23-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    How much are you looking to spend and do you want to load balance or aggregate the connections ? Wwglen otherwise has you pretty much set up the same as me

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    My house is not that big-1500 square feet. We get a decent signal upstairs and downstairs on phones, and for the most part the internet hotspots do an okay job down there. Just looking for better coverage, and since my kid games, he wants an Ethernet connection.

Iím not looking to spend a ton-what I spent on the google mesh or less, essentially.

Maybe I didnít do it right-I set up the initial puck upstairs, took the second one down and it couldnít find it. Maybe I needed to keep it upstairs til it was set up and then bring it down? Idk it just didnít give me high hopes that that setup would work for my sonís desired hardlined connection.

Explain the difference between load balance or aggregate? Iím just a non-techy mom trying to do my best at understanding these things.

I havenít sent the google mesh back yet so if yíall think thatís ultimately what might work best Iíll try to set it up again. Then maybe find one of the other routers mentioned above for the explore? However 3 pucks are probably too many for my size house if only using the nighthawk...

Sorry if this is all over the place. Trying to answer questions the best of my ability

Feedback Score

help me set up a home network!

For a 1500 sf house I would get a cheap asus router - put the hotspot where it gets the best cellular signal / speed. Hook it to the router , then hook the router to the first of the pair of power line adapters ( I would get powerline adapters that have both wifi and atleast one Ethernet port) plug the other powerline adapter downstairs close to the gaming system and you should be done. If you find that the asus router doesnít completely cover your house you can add another powerline adapter , again preferably one that has both WiFi and Ethernet ports. This should cover you and still probably be about 70-100 bucks cheaper than the mesh system including the 2nd powerline adapter if needed.

If heís trying to game then Iím pretty sure load balancing will not work, but it basically takes both connections and splits up the request for data between them based on a ratio or rules you set. It keeps it as two routes but it does help, the reoson it does not work well with gaming is there are 2 ips involved , I think you can specify which ip you want it to use but hear thereís bugs in it.

Aggregation combines the 2 together so you have one big pipe but I have been unable to get it to work yet mostly because all the routers Iíve had donít support it. Iím thinking about buying another router that seems to support it but the cheapest Iíve found such routers is 280+ and itís still not guaranteed to work because of all the other problems. There is a supposed software aggregation solution that uses a vpn but it also has its problems and is expensive. I would say use the night hawk as I explained above and keep the unite as a travel , or as an alternative to adding a powerline adapter upstairs if needed use the unite explores WiFi there. Hope my answer wasnít to confusing and let me know if you have any questions

I usually buy used equipment off of eBay , so there are risks involved there but I have had no problem with any of the equipment and it was a lot cheaper than the components were new at the time

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Iím surprised the Google mesh didnít work for you. It has an Ethernet connection doesnít it?

While I donít use the Google mesh, my AMPLIFI HD system gives me the full speed of my WiFi throughout my house. Did you do any speed tests after setting it up?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Iím surprised the Google mesh didnít work for you. It has an Ethernet connection doesnít it?

While I donít use the Google mesh, my AMPLIFI HD system gives me the full speed of my WiFi throughout my house. Did you do any speed tests after setting it up?
    Going by what she said she couldnít pair the upstairs device with the downstairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast