Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help me set up a home network!

Feedback Score
    I buy mine at thrift stores or Walmart clearence.

Minimum is gigabit Ethernet dual band N, AC preferred.

Got a Linksys wrt ac3200 got $15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cocky01 View Post
    Going by what she said she couldn’t pair the upstairs device with the downstairs

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I could not get them to pair.

I like the router idea and power line adapters. I think that’ll work well. Should I get one router for each internet device? Can anyone give me specific links, to what I should buy? My house is not big, I do have an acre + of land but most of the time we’re close enough outside that our current hotspots work fine-so I think any router will be fine for outside the house.

Feedback Score
    The most you would need would probably be one router per floor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    You use the nighthawk with the Ethernet.

You enable the passthrough function and use it like a modem and run it into the primary Ethernet of the main mesh router.

The mesh router will allow for more devices.

Now if the bandwidth is too low and you need the additional connection to AT&T, you can buy a Netgear cradle or an Asus router that supports hooking up to the explore using an USB connection.
    Are you saying that the Ethernet port on the Nighthawk will allow the Nighthawk to act as the modem and then the router can just act as a router or am I missing something here? I currently have the Nighthawk connected to an ASUS router via USB but it'd be easier for my parents if they could just plug in via Ethernet into the router.
    Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutconnor View Post
    Are you saying that the Ethernet port on the Nighthawk will allow the Nighthawk to act as the modem and then the router can just act as a router or am I missing something here? I currently have the Nighthawk connected to an ASUS router via USB but it'd be easier for my parents if they could just plug in via Ethernet into the router.
    Thanks!
    Yes- Ethernet out of the NH into a router will work. The NH has to be off, plug in Ethernet, then power up the NH.

Feedback Score
    Also make sure you disable Ethernet power off think the default is 2 minutes and if you’re not going to connect to the WiFi on the night hawk disable that as well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cocky01 View Post
    Also make sure you disable Ethernet power off think the default is 2 minutes and if you’re not going to connect to the WiFi on the night hawk disable that as well

How do I do that? I just have the nighthawk plugged into the router

(with the battery also-couldn’t figure out how to not use that)-does it need to be plugged in?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatie80 View Post
    How do I do that? I just have the nighthawk plugged into the router

(with the battery also-couldn’t figure out how to not use that)-does it need to be plugged in?
    I can look it up if you want the exact steps. But you log into the Netgear via the app or 192.168.1.1. The generic admin password will be attadmin. Then go into the advanced settings I believe. I also think there is a video on the features on YouTube.
    Last edited by Orlimar1; 08-21-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2