Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why can you 𝑵𝑶𝑻 reactivate a SIM card?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I do use Sprint postpaid service personally, not an MVNO. Just offering my experience.

When I upgraded my last Sprint handset last October, the retail store transferred my old SIM to the new device.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Have you ever used sprint? I’m not aware of any other carriers other than sprint that’s like this. If you look at many mvnos you’ll see that the SIM card matters for the device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LTE is based on GSM, so Sprint (and Verizon) needed to implement SIM cards into their CDMA service -- where service was tied to the device -- in order to move to LTE. This reddit thread has a good discussion of this and Sprint's complicated adoption of SIM card usage.

For native-GSM devices (AT&T, T-Mobile, most the rest of the world), any SIM will work with any unlocked device (though obviously a physical adapter may be required given the MiniSim, MicroSIM and NanoSIM card sizes). I'm guessing the "many mvnos" you're referring to must be Sprint ones, which means they have to play by Sprint's rules.

Feedback Score
    This will mostly be a non-issue once eSIM's become more widely adopted and the carrier just regenerates a new SIM number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    This will mostly be a non-issue once eSIM's become more widely adopted and the carrier just regenerates a new SIM number.
    i'm sure they will find a way to mess up the process by the time we get there.. just like verizon cdma esn black/white list

Feedback Score
    I dislike the idea of esims just makes it easier for the 3letters.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    A lot of info here is contrary to my experience.
    Yep. I know T-Mo *can* reuse old SIMs- I sweet talked them into it once a long time ago, but they typically (IME) refuse to.

There's no reason any carrier wouldn't be able to reuse a SIM. It's really just a small chunk of memory with a hard coded serial number. The policies of the carrier decide whether they're willing to or not.

(An ancillary question is why do SIMs "expire"? I've had the same activared T-Mo SIM in my phone for 6 or 7 years, but I have a new unused SIM from T-Mo that expired last year and T-Mo would not activate it!)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2