Thread: Looking for cellular or satellite internet for dad

Feedback Score

Looking for cellular or satellite internet for dad

Hi, my dad lives in a area that has no landline internet options so I am looking for a satellite or cellular option and am wanting to hear what others on here know.. I was going to sign up for Net Buddy but they are all full up.

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by veriztd; 07-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leweezo View Post
    Hi, my dad lives in a area that has no landline internet options so I am looking for a satt or cellular option and am wanting to hear what others on here know.. I was going to sign up for Net Buddy but they are all full up.

Thanks
    Mike
    Hmm and where are you located? Kinda important.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    How good is cellular service where he lives ? Does he currently have cellular service and/or which carriers work best in his area.

When it is available; cellular data is cheaper, more reliable, and faster than satellite data in my experience. If he has reliable cellular service, he can either add a hotspot feature on a mobile phone or use a mobile hotspot device with data only and no voice service. More information needed to offer more advice.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you haven't, check to see if there's a wireless ISP in the area. Sometimes they're cheaper or provide more generous data allotment.

Just put in his ZIP code:
    http://www.wispa.org/Directories/Find-a-WISP
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    They live in Hampton Ga. There is good ATT, VZW coverage and "decent" Sprint/Tmobile coverage at there house.. He is the only one who would use the internet and he uses it for craigslist only. He likes to buy junk cars and fix them up and sell them.. So I don't think he needs a high data cap. They are both retired and living on a fixed income and thats why I am trying to do this on a heap monthly basis..I thought about (and tell me if it's stupid) getting a cheap iphone Se on ebay, use it as a hotspot and getting a Twigby accnt. That will give him data each month and he will pay for as little as 200mb and as much as 10Gb. After that, he would be rstricted to 2g... I would leave the iphone plugged in all the time with the screen turned doen to minimum brightness. Do you think I am off my rocker?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Browsing the internet or social media does not require a high data speed connection. 2G would be sufficient for that type of usage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leweezo View Post
    They live in Hampton Ga. There is good ATT, VZW coverage and "decent" Sprint/Tmobile coverage at there house.. He is the only one who would use the internet and he uses it for craigslist only. He likes to buy junk cars and fix them up and sell them.. So I don't think he needs a high data cap. They are both retired and living on a fixed income and thats why I am trying to do this on a heap monthly basis..I thought about (and tell me if it's stupid) getting a cheap iphone Se on ebay, use it as a hotspot and getting a Twigby accnt. That will give him data each month and he will pay for as little as 200mb and as much as 10Gb. After that, he would be rstricted to 2g... I would leave the iphone plugged in all the time with the screen turned doen to minimum brightness. Do you think I am off my rocker?
    That could work as an inexpensive lashup for minimal use. The Wifi range from a hotspot phone will not be anywhere as far as a real Wifi router. Mine works about 15 feet from the phone. My Wifi router covers the whole house. You can add a little range extender box for not much - ~$20?

You can turn the screen off. It should go dark on its own after a few seconds. I would not count on the phone hotspot operating continuously for weeks on end without a restart. Get rid of as many junk apps as you can to keep them from eating your data in the background.

You may want to also look at Tello. They are $6 a month for 1 GB, $10 for 2 GB. Hotspotting is explicitly allowed. Data is unlimited, throttled to 64 Kbps 2G speed after using the high speed allotment. They use Sprint for data - same as Twigby. The other network Twigby mentions is Verizon, but that is only for talk and text - no data roaming.

My experience with data throttled to 64 Kbps has been that it is nearly unusable for web browsing. Many web sites will timeout and fail to load. All those pictures on Craigslist could be a problem. IIRC, Twigby throttles to 128 Kbps which would be better.

The future of Sprint is uncertain. The DOJ announced approval of their merger with T-Mobile just today. I'm guessing that Sprint MVNOs should be ok for a year or so.

T-Mobile prepaid tablet/hotspot plan, $10/mo. for 2 GB with a hotspot device could be another possibility.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Thanks everybody.. Lots of good info.. I will check out Tello and Tmo... I did not think of getting rid of crud apps. but will do.... I had a offer of 4g unlimited for 60 a month but he does not want to spend more than 25.. sigh.. that would have been easier.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If the person in question qualifies as "low income" or is involved in charity or educational work he might be eligible for a very low-cost Sprint-based wireless ISP through mobilecitizen.org but not directly. He'd have to go through an affiliated agency.
    Donald Newcomb