Thread: Freedeompop annual plan - update without credit card?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Freedeompop annual plan - update without credit card?

Folks,

I've got a Freedompop annual sim (AT&T) with 1gb of data that is getting ready to expire. I picked it up last year for $34.99 at BestBuy. I like the sim because I can use the Freedompop app on several phones to make/receive calls AND I use the sim card in a hotspot at work for data.

My question is: Can I renew the annual plan without giving Freedompop a credit card? From what I've seen, it doesn't look like that is possible. If not, I may just buy another annual sim and activate it. Also not sure what is going to happen with service since they've been bought by RedPocket. Thanks!

Eric

Feedback Score
    I'd say buying another SIM is the way to go. If you go to freedompop.com/activate while logged in to your existing FP account it will just get added to the account so you don't have to remember another email/password combination.

Feedback Score
    I'm in the same situation too. Also, anyone tried a virtual card for this particular purpose?

Device(s)
    active Motorola V-170
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

same question

This is exactly what my question is! Eric, were you able to do it and save your number? I wish it was like buying a "normal" ppd card like Trac, but I can't find any info on buying a card and putting it to my current sim/phone.

I just use the SIM on one phone, and Best Buy has the annual $49 card on sale for $39. My service doesn't expire till December, so maybe I should still wait to buy another card. I just really do not want to give them a credit card. Bad experience in the past with their free plan and my credit card... and Citi Virtual card numbers error out on their system. Grrrr.
    Incontinence hotline....please hold

Feedback Score
    I had an annual prepaid sim bought from best buy. It lapsed on the anniversary date and my credit card was charged $49.99. I never provided any credit info for this account or email. I found that I still had an old inactive account with a different email from well over a year ago. I cancelled both accounts and filed a charge back. A virtual card is the way to go. These prepaid cards are not considered paid plans therefore no support option.
    UPDATE: FP responded to my "email" that it was a valid charge with no option for a credit. Waiting for Bank of America response.
    Last edited by paaz; 09-16-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    You cannot add to a prepaid SIM account without giving FreedomPop your credit card, so don't do it unless you want to spend an unreasonable amount of time fighting with them about unauthorized credit card charges ...

Earlier this month they added "Global Plus 300" to my free account again, without my permission or authorization. This was the 4th time since this free account was opened that they added this feature without authorization. They seem to think it's okay to keep adding this feature, and then charging me for it, simply because they have my credit card on file. That's how unethical FreedomPop is with me.

This never happens if you buy a prepaid 90-day or 365-day SIM from a place like Target because in this situation they have no way of knowing who bought the SIM card or how they paid for it. And if you're smart you will keep this prepaid account separate from all your other FP accounts, and never give them your credit card data when logged into this prepaid account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paaz View Post
    I had an annual prepaid sim bought from best buy. It lapsed on the anniversary date and my credit card was charged $49.99. I never provided any credit info for this account or email. I found that I still had an old inactive account with a different email from well over a year ago. I cancelled both accounts and filed a charge back. A virtual card is the way to go. These prepaid cards are not considered paid plans therefore no support option.
    UPDATE: FP responded to my "email" that it was a valid charge with no option for a credit. Waiting for Bank of America response.
    Please let us know what B of A says.

In my case I added a CC a few days before the 365 day 1 G a month SIM expired - as the local retailers didn't have a sale on the SIM. But then when clicking through various options on the FP site I noticed it added some option (which would cost money) which I could NOT remove. When I got to within two days of expiry, I went to BB bought a new 365 day 1 G a month SIM, cancelled the old account, and activated the new SIM. Promptly got email from FP the old account was cancelled. Popped in the new SIM and the phone was immediately fully functional.

Interestingly, though the BB website showed full price and my CC was charged full price a few days later when I was checking my statement I say a $10.xx credit from BB, which effectively dropped the cost by $10 - kudos to BB!

Feedback Score
    B of A issued a conditional credit. To change they have to prove their case.

Feedback Score
    I'm confused by this thread. It implies that billing on Freedompop accounts are still being handled by Freedompop "itself" and that the same games are being played. But I should have thought the billing on anything to do with FP GSM would have been transferred to Red Pocket who, while far from perfect, are not sleazy. Is it possible that Red Pocket also inherited the back end for the FP GSM accounts and is letting them "do their thing"? It seems odd to me that business practices that were so unpopular and unique to the "original" Freedompop would be continued by the new owner.

Feedback Score
    I'm confused by this thread. It implies that billing on Freedompop accounts are still being handled by Freedompop "itself" and that the same games are being played..
    Red Pocket bought FreedomPop, but that doesn't mean Red Pocket has made any changes to the FreedomPop way of billing or charging for unauthorized services. I hope they do some day, but it doesn't look like it yet.

What seems unusual to me is that the FP/Sprint conversion deal Red Pocket is offering for $2.99 appeared as a FreedomPop charge on my credit card -- rather than a Red Pocket charge! This surprised me because I thought I was "converting" my FP phone to Red Pocket service.

Feedback Score
    Nothing very surprising. Depends on the infrastructure available ... there's no compelling reason to incur conversion costs if there are various ongoing contracts with banks and other financial institutions.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Just to follow up, I ended up buying another Freedompop Annual Sim (AT&T) and added it to my original Freedompop account. I was hoping to keep the same number I had on the original annual plan, but I wasn't able to transfer it over to the new annual plan. Not a problem. When the original plan expired, I deleted it from my account.

As I've mentioned before, I use the Freedompop Sim in a hotspot for the data and use the Freedompop app on my cellphones to use as a second number. I also use the Freedompop number when I'm overseas so friends/family can reach me with a US number. Another nice feature with the Freedompop app is it will ring each phone you have the app set up on.

Eric