Thread: Verizon prepaid ports number immediately after SIM purchase?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score

Verizon prepaid ports number immediately after SIM purchase?

Went to buy a $40 SIM to activate on Prepaid in a few weeks once my Red Pocket year expires, so I can take advantage of the currently double data promo on Verizon Prepaid.

But as part of the order process, if you elect to port a number Verizon asks you for the account number and PIN of the existing line, and clicking through seems to imply that your number will be ported immediately?

Is this the case? Or does it only actually port once you activate the SIM after receiving it in the mail?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    Went to buy a $40 SIM to activate on Prepaid in a few weeks once my Red Pocket year expires, so I can take advantage of the currently double data promo on Verizon Prepaid.

But as part of the order process, if you elect to port a number Verizon asks you for the account number and PIN of the existing line, and clicking through seems to imply that your number will be ported immediately?

Is this the case? Or does it only actually port once you activate the SIM after receiving it in the mail?
    The number should release but stay on your current Carrier until your activate service. That's what happen when I switched to Visible. Vzw prepaid shouldn't been any different

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    The number should release but stay on your current Carrier until your activate service. That's what happen when I switched to Visible. Vzw prepaid shouldn't been any different
    Weird. Never dealt with anything like that in my ports between previous providers.

Thanks though.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    This caused some strange issues for me. When I switched to Verizon Prepaid from ATT Prepaid in May, I was in a busy period of a trip out of state, layoff notice from my employer and in the process of hoping for a new job offer. But didn't want to miss the 15GB offer from Verizon (if I had waited, they came out with a 16GB offer

So I wanted to reduce the possible issues by waiting until things calmed down and actually switch SIMs closer to the end of the ATT plan.

Noticed that text messages from Verizon android users were not making it to me. But they would from iPhone users, and from phones on other carriers.

I think internally, Verizon wouldn't forward the text message out of their system since they knew the number was coming to them.

On the other hand, when I did insert the SIM, nothing else was required. It immediately was active.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    This caused some strange issues for me
    Yeah, that kind of mixed mode nonsense is precisely what I am trying to avoid.

With a couple of months left on my Red Pocket yearly plan that I don't really want to eat unless I absolutely have to, I wanted to have a Verizon SIM that I could just immediately activate on Prepaid in case they announce "this promotion is ending tomorrow" or something like that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    The double data promo is going to be offered until at least October

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The double data promo is going to be offered until at least October
    Is there an official source on that?