data not important

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    no and likely to get worse when Verizon shuts down CDMA at the end of the year... although I guess you could argue that both will get worse.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    no and likely to get worse when Verizon shuts down CDMA at the end of the year... although I guess you could argue that both will get worse.
    I would expect at that same point Sprint may utilize more AT&T roaming. They may even get VoLTE working on T-Mobile.

Sprint’s in-building and rural voice coverage is more spotty than Verizon’s but really not that bad. It is much improved with band 26 and you can always use WiFi calling if needed.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    is sprint as good as verizon for voice coverage

data not important
    I depends a lot on where your are. It is a big country and Verizon covers it better than Sprint. Sprint can be quite good where they have built their network like, the metro areas of the populated Atlantic coast states - Virginia to Massachusetts.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Not really going to matter as Sprint is about to merge with TMobile and it sounds ( don't know when) that they will be moved over to T-Mobile.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Other than WV and maybe a couple of other spots here or there, Verizon would be king. Sprint's CDMA 1x800 voice coverage is very good within their coverage areas, but their network just isn't nearly as big.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Short answer: no it's not as good. Is native plus extensive roaming good enough? Well..

Problem in the past with Sprint was limited network coverage, combined with phones wanting to hold onto the tiniest shred of native signal in preference to roaming. I don't know if this roaming threshold is set by the network (i.e. a parameter of the cell site), if the carrier can adjust it via "carrier bundle" or whatever, or if it's strictly up to the phone manufacturer.

So, all carriers are prone to this -- up in Arena, WI, my phone will flip flop between an unusable VZW signal from wherever and a US Cellular signal from a site literally outside the window, it flip flops every minute or two. But, AT&T and VZW tend to have a blanket coverage with some roaming pockets whereas Sprint tends to have a corridor of coverage along highways surrounded by a sea of roaming; so many more potential fringe coverage problem areas.

Based on this if you were going to try Sprint, I would look at the coverage. Are you going to be mainly in the coverage area? OK. Are you going to be frequenting some roaming areas as well? OK. You might drive through the "fringe" for a minute but you'll have native or roaming the rest of the time, no big deal. Are you going to be frequenting some area right on the edge of coverage? Maybe not OK. If you end up in flip-flop land, in Arena if I needed to make a call I got ready to call then called when it was flipped to roaming.

(And to note, I don't know how VoLTE affects this -- the flip flopping I saw was for CDMA service, I don't know if LTE has some newer mechanism to try to prevent this problematic flip flopping. If it did it'd be no problem.)

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Problem in the past with Sprint was limited network coverage, combined with phones wanting to hold onto the tiniest shred of native signal in preference to roaming. I don't know if this roaming threshold is set by the network (i.e. a parameter of the cell site), if the carrier can adjust it via "carrier bundle" or whatever, or if it's strictly up to the phone manufacturer.
    Well said. It's a jarring experience going from Sprint to USCC. Once I'm well outside of the Sprint coverage area, the USCC coverage kicks in and everything is good again.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Never had Sprint, but I know everyone who has it says their coverage is bad.

That said, my parents have been with Verizon for over 20 years and never had a coverage problem.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had sprint from 2006-2017. Voice coverage was always excellent, (including post-paid roaming coverage on Alltel/Verizon/USCC). And they never gave me any issue with the number of roaming minutes or texts I used (even when I was only paying $30 a month for unlimited). Data coverage was a disaster outside of major cities, but voice/text was always solid.

But with Verizon sunsetting its 1X network, I would be hesitant to rely on Sprint for voice coverage. It's going to be a mess unless they put VoLTE roaming into place.

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint has really good voice coverage where you can get it. It's important to know that Sprint does not use VoLTE, so the quality and abilities of your phone calls will be that of a 2005-era phone. However, quality and dropped calls don't bother me with I call my friends who are on Sprint.

Verizon of course has better coverage than Sprint, and they use VoLTE for their phone calls. So, when you get good service, you have better audio quality, more calling features (like large conference calling), etc.. But, I remember using Verizon's VoLTE about 2 years ago. I got a lot of dropped calls in Wisconsin. It was not as good as their legacy 1X network. I assume this has changed. Maybe someone can confirm?

There is something to be said about cellular networks putting more resources into improving data service rather than voice-calling service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    It's important to know that Sprint does not use VoLTE...
    This is interesting to read because my Samsung Galaxy S8+ that I am using on Sprint says that it has VoLTE enabled.

All things considered, Sprint's coverage is probably not as good as Verizon's, but it isn't as expensive either. The real question you need to ask and have answered is whether Sprint's coverage is good enough for the areas that you frequent.

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
    This is interesting to read because my Samsung Galaxy S8+ that I am using on Sprint says that it has VoLTE enabled.

All things considered, Sprint's coverage is probably not as good as Verizon's, but it isn't as expensive either. The real question you need to ask and have answered is whether Sprint's coverage is good enough for the areas that you frequent.
    Thank you for fact checking! You're right, Sprint says "VoLTE is only available on Sprint’s wireless LTE network in select covered areas at this time."

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/volte.html

So yes, Sprint does have VoLTE services. As mentioned above, Sprint will be Merging with T-Mobile any minute now, so things are subject to change.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    is sprint as good as verizon for voice coverage

data not important
    The important thing is whether this is a question or a troll? I vote troll!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by regor3 View Post
    The important thing is whether this is a question or a troll? I vote troll!
    I don't think the OP is a troll although s/he probably could have phrased the question better. Perhaps they could have asked something like, "in such-and-such area of the United States, how does Sprint's voice coverage compare to Verizon's?"

As already mentioned by other posters, Sprint has signed a roaming agreement with T-Mobile in advance of their announced (but not yet approved) merger. So that that may make Sprint a viable option for more people.

I always try to tell people to look for the least expensive cellular provider that has coverage in the areas that you frequent and periodically re-evaluate you choice to see if better options have come along.

Still, the truth remains that in some parts of the United States your choices are either Verizon or two tin cups and a string.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast