Thread: Both mine and wifes tracfones cannot send SMS but can send MMS

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Both mine and wifes tracfones cannot send SMS but can send MMS

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, she has a S6. We have been using them for over a year with no issues but a couple days ago they both stopped sending SMS messages. I discovered this morning I could send MMS.

Any ideas?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDJ View Post
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, she has a S6. We have been using them for over a year with no issues but a couple days ago they both stopped sending SMS messages. I discovered this morning I could send MMS.

Any ideas?
    Have you restarted the phone(s) and tried sending a SMS after?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes I have.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think you will need to check your current SMS settings to make certain nothing was changed/corrupted. You should contact Customer Service from another phone # but have both cell phones available for troubleshooting.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes I have.
    What app are you using to send/receive texts?

Could you temporarily install one of the following texting apps and try sending a SMS again to see if anything changes?
    Android Messages
    Textra SMS
    Handcent Next SMS
    chomp SMS

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Any recent system updates?

I recall some issues with certain devices early in the Oreo days. Maybe an update broke something.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Don't know if my experience is related to the SMS issue the OP is seeing but...I have a Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S4. If I put a TF AT&T sim in it, everything works just fine except...SMS. As the OP experienced, MMS works fine. As I researched the issue I found that it is a known issue that has no fix. According to one AT&T CSR I talked to, it has something to do with the AT&T 3G shutdown. Don't know if that had squat to do with it. It worked fine for years and then, about 6 - 8 months ago, SMS just stopped working. I tried many different Messaging apps, none solved the problem. If I put a TF Verizon sim in the phone, it works fine. As I use the AT&T sim as my daily driver, I gave up and retired the S4.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Don't know if my experience is related to the SMS issue the OP is seeing but...I have a Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S4. If I put a TF AT&T sim in it, everything works just fine except...SMS. As the OP experienced, MMS works fine. As I researched the issue I found that it is a known issue that has no fix. According to one AT&T CSR I talked to, it has something to do with the AT&T 3G shutdown. Don't know if that had squat to do with it. It worked fine for years and then, about 6 - 8 months ago, SMS just stopped working. I tried many different Messaging apps, none solved the problem. If I put a TF Verizon sim in the phone, it works fine. As I use the AT&T sim as my daily driver, I gave up and retired the S4.
    I think you got incorrect info because AT&T hasn't shut down 3G yet. That's currently scheduled for sometime in 2022.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I think you got incorrect info because AT&T hasn't shut down 3G yet. That's currently scheduled for sometime in 2022.
    Yeah, like I said, don't know if the 3G stuff meant squat. Bottom line was that something AT&T was doing on their network was causing SMS to fail on Verizon branded S4s.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What app are you using to send/receive texts?

Could you temporarily install one of the following texting apps and try sending a SMS again to see if anything changes?
    Android Messages
    Textra SMS
    Handcent Next SMS
    chomp SMS
    ChiefDJ, did you get a chance to try an alternative texting app? It might not be the answer to the problem, but it won't hurt anything to try.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Which carrier are the S6 and S8 running on? If Verizon, is Advanced Calling (VoLTE) enabled?