Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

T-Mobile deploys LTE to 60k Sq miles of Gulf of Mexico

T-Mobile deploys LTE to 60k Sq miles of Gulf of Mexico https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rs-gulf-mexico

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Will the new deployment cost anything additional to users ?? I have my doubts.

I remember when I worked for At&t there was a Gulf of Mexico network called PetroCom designed for the oil rig workers. There was an additional roaming charge to use their network. The attached article makes no mention of pricing. We will have see how it works out for the users.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post

I remember when I worked for At&t there was a Gulf of Mexico network called PetroCom designed for the oil rig workers. There was an additional roaming charge to use their network. The attached article makes no mention of pricing. We will have see how it works out for the users.
    Considering all the statements to the FCC and DOJ about not raising prices to the DOJ and FCC by T-Mobile it would be ridiculous for them to screw up the entire merge for a few dollars a month from just a insignificant amount of people in the Gulf of Mexico. T-Mobile owns 10x10 MHz of 600 MHz plus the 700 MHz of the company in the Gulf they partnered with. There was a guy on Reddit/T- Mobile that provided proof he acquired 5x5 MHz in the 600 MHz FCC sale for just $35k that planed to raise a billion plus dollars to build out the Gulf with LTE claimed T- Mobile would never deploy in the Gulf. Bet that guy would sell his one band of 600 MHz now for $50 K and call it a day.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post

T-Mobile currently roams BroadPoint/Tampnet as part of their domestic roaming agreements. They do LAC-block 4 land-based BroadPoint towers to prevent customers from roaming when in range of existing T-Mobile service. It will be interesting to see if this new coverage gets priced as a separate service or part of T-Mobile's domestic coverage. When I was in the Arabian/Persian Gulf, Etisalat provided service from oil rigs at the same rate as on land.

60K sq mi corresponds to about 50 platforms.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    and I struggle in a major metro area, worse than last year.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would hope it's part of regular domestic coverage - otherwise there's not much benefit for those that benefit to switch to T-Mobile.

What I want to know is how backhaul works on those platforms. Microwave ring? Satellite?
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    While I can only speculate, a satellite connection would be most likely. Hopefully more information will be provided prior to deployment. Interesting to read about none-the-less.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    ...What I want to know is how backhaul works on those platforms. Microwave ring? Satellite?
    Submarine fiber-optic cables. perhaps augmented by microwave.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This expansion is considered native T-Mobile coverage. No charge to T-Mobile customers.