Thread: Verizon xl to unlimited

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon xl to unlimited

Everytime I get close to my data cap of 16GB verizon sends me a text saying I'm almost out of data and tries to convince me to upgrade to unlimited. Does anyone know what the catch is as to why verizon would try to get me to upgrade when the unlimited plan is the same price as my xl plan and seems like they would be the loser as I would end up with more data to use for the same price. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How many lines do you have where unlimited data is the same price as 16 GB? Anyway no catch Verizon rather have everyone on unlimited data plans

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My parents had this happen on their plan too; got an e-mail or something a few years back pointing out a current plan would actually cost some dollars less. VZW's good about keeping the ol' ARPU (average revenue per user) up (i.e. having pricey plans), but they are also good about letting people know when it happens to work out so a better plan for them comes out. Two ways to view it (and perhaps both are true), cynical view, it increases the "customers upgraded to new plan this quarter" stat. Non-cynically, it's good customer care and reduces churn.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have a phone and jet pack on the 16GB plan for $110. And the beyond unlimited is $85 plus $20 for the jet pack which would be $105.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon xl to unlimited

Are the older plans video throttled? I haven’t been on one in 4 years so I thought to ask. ADDENDUM: I think my roommate is on an L plan so I could look into it if need be.

If they aren’t video/audio throttled: That would be one reason why they would prefer you to be off the XL plan. It could save you money, but the restrictions can change things to where you’re actually using less than 16 GB a month. Most of the UDP options throttle video below 1080p if not on a 5G connection.

That is why gUdp plans were still popular when unlimited came back. No known video throttle and not many restrictions on the plan themselves. Even after the price increases they can be cheaper than current UDP pricing.

Plus I believe you can still get reasonable service discounts on some older plans if you BOYD, have a fully paid-off device on the line, or otherwise month to month.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's not strictly "audio/video" that is being limited, it is the overall data speed which means larger buffering delays due to a slower download speed when using data hungry applications.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I thought they did have audio/video limits on current plans, if VZW's equipment recognizes the streaming site it (admittedly by adjusting speed) makes it so the sites autoselect will select 480p or 720p (so you could force 1080 but have to wait for it to buffer.) That is in addition to the hotspot throttle after however many GBs (on my plan 15GB.)

Personally, I've had no impact from this kind of thing -- my phone has like a 4" screen so i assume youtube is being cut down but can't tell; and when on hotspot, whatever random sites tv shows, cartoons, anime, and wrc are on don't seem to be affected by VZW's network management. But video usage, this would be an excellent reason to keep an XL plan over newer unlimited.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The only thing I can figure out is with me on the XL 16 GB plan is they cant throttle it under any circumstances as far as I know and on the above unlimited plan even though they state that it wont be throttled until I hit 75 gigs on my phone or 20 gigs on my hot spot maybe they have it in the fine fine print somewhere. Anyway I bit the bullet and changed my plan two days ago from xl to aboveunlimited and it's $10 cheaper than what I was paying for the xl plan which also included a employee discount. Who knows, maybe verizon is just trying to be a good samaritan to its customers as stated by an earlier reply or either they are better off giving you unlimited and throttleing it anytime they want too if that's in their fine print even though I was told it wouldn't be until I hit 75 or 20 gig. I had to upgrade anyway cause 16 gig just wasn't cutting it for me and if all came to fail I had plans of dropping them and looking elsewhere. Just two days in I can't tell a difference yet but still to early to really be giving a comparison.