Thread: New iPhone & esim

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

New iPhone & esim

I've been on the esim bandwagon lately since I activated on Xfinity/Verizon as a physical sim behind my T-Mobile esim.

It occurred to me that a simple feature that would have merit is a second esim chip in the new models. More and more carriers are enabling the technology, and the ability to never have to visit a store for a hardware sim is quite appealing to me.

I travel internationally 45-60 or so days a year, and think it would be awesome to have a second esim in my phone that would allow for my 1st line to be active and also be able to have a second esim from a roaming carrier available also. As it is now, I need the sim card from where I'm visiting to have this flexibility. A hardware sim slot will probably need to be with us for the next few years, but esims seem to be the future for carrier access.

I believe most of us would prefer to have our primary line active while also being able to use cheaper roaming service.

Any comments?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

New iPhone & esim

I don’t foresee a no physical SIM phone this soon.

Most US MVNOs lack support for eSIM still, particularly of those very popular such as Tracfone brands and Boost/VM.
    Others that do support them have issues getting them to work effectively on iPhones. Google Fi is one such MVNO; they easily supports eSIM on Pixels but can’t get support to work correctly elsewhere.

Lack of eSIM support in many carriers outside of the US and Canada is another big concern. A huge draw of eSIM is to have an international SIM in physically while having a home SIM embedded. There are multiple countries where there may be multiple carriers but only one or two support eSIM.

This will change in a few years, which by then we could start seeing [physical] SIM-less phones again. I would say maybe 5 years.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Haas_Dave, in response to your signature about the new AT&T, "Resistance is futile"
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I imagine in 3-5 years, physical sims will be the exception, not the rule. Self activation will be via chat or completely automated. I've used Apple sims to sign up for roaming data and it is essentially the same process you'd need for an esim activation.

We don't need an EID and a sim number to ID a device to attach service. The portability factor is easily overcome by having a new device esim activation deactivate, but not erase the old device service. Switching phones will be as easy as switching from primary to secondary numbers is now.

I also wonder if Apple has hidden dual line service in the latest esim phones that they could enable with an iOS update? Why couldn't one chip do multiple lines?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I intend to get the 2019 iPhone and thus Dual/SIM for the first time. I'm on Verizon. My intent is to put my primary line (Verizon) on the eSIM so that the physical SIM slot is available for my backup or traveling carrier. Locally I might get T-Mobile or a T-Mobile MVNO, and internationally I'd probably get a tourist SIM at the airport (eg: China and Vietnam that I travel to for business once or twice a year.)

I imagine that in the future, it'll be the other way where you'll want the eSIM available so that you can activate a line through an APP, QR code, or something while traveling. But for now it sounds like the physical SIM is the temp/backup one. Am I correct?
    iPhone X Plus 256GB on Verizon "new Unlimited" plan.
    iPad Mini 2 Retina 128GB LTE on T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think I'd rather have both lines be on esim when enough carriers have that service enabled. Then you could purchase and put one in service when you arrive at a roaming country, or purchase it ahead of time then activate it later.

As far as your question, I do have my primary carrier T-Mobile on my esim and Xfinity Mobile as a physical sim. I anticipate this being my basic setup for the near future. I'll be experimenting in a few weeks with some alternate physical data sims while roaming in several countries. I intend to keep my T-Mobile esim line active for the entire trip The travel sim could easily be an esim if the phones ever support dual esims.