Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Looks like it's finally a done deal!

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    How much would YOU compete for business that you lose money on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hence the term "Sprint's Business customers
    T-Mobile has paid for them. Similarly, while rural customers have lower ARPU, T-Mobile is going to have to eventually look at the larger picture. This does not mean that every square mile of the country needs to be covered, but some of these rural areas that under perform may need some build out ... for the already bought and paid for Sprint customers, and to long term get Gov't contracts, rural 'home' broadband (this would pay well in some communities), and eventually take some rural from AT&T/Verizon.
    Companies have a couple means ... "Go big or go home", and "do what you do best".
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    .....Getting T-Mobile to compete for those rural customers will cost T-Mobile... but its probably in T-Mobile's best interest to compete for these, ......
    You don't have to compete for rural customers, there just aren't that many of them. You do have to compete for customers who travel away from their home base. That's what mobile phones are all about. The farther afield one goes, the more he becomes concerned about usable communications*. If you don't have a usable signal on the shortcut between here and there or in the small town where Junior goes to college, or the beach or ski resort where you vacation, the family will find a carrier that does. I do know some people who exist only in big cities, traveling mostly by plane between them. They are a fairly small fraction. Some people on this forum seem to live in that corner of the venn diagram. I and most people I know are in the other part, living in the suburbs and enjoying trips through the countryside. The problem is that, with the exception of a few known destinations (e.g. Yosemite), it's pretty hard to predict exactly where these customers will need service, so you need to expect them to be anywhere.

*I know one person who was so concerned about his adult daughter driving through national parks out west, where not even Verizon had service, that he bought an Iridium phone, just in case.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    You don't have to compete for rural customers, there just aren't that many of them. You do have to compete for customers who travel away from their home base. That's what mobile phones are all about. The farther afield one goes, the more he becomes concerned about usable communications*.
    Yup, exactly. That's why AT&T and Verizon put so much money into coverage in BFE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    You don't have to compete for rural customers, there just aren't that many of them. You do have to compete for customers who travel away from their home base. That's what mobile phones are all about. The farther afield one goes, the more he becomes concerned about usable communications*.
    I agree in general. They do need 'some' presence in many rural areas where people travel to/from and visit. Many spots in between shouldn't require the 'indoor coverage', and some don't require any. It really depends on the traffic pattern and usage and if it is in their best interest.
    Eg. Road up to Mammoth, CA is typically in their best interest. Interstate coverage depends on volume.
    I-75 in the UP doesn't really need more than what it has, as it is light traffic 99% of the time, and +99% of T-Mobile's customers probably don't ever pass through this area, the same goes for many rural customers. When I say somewhat rural.. I mean more like the areas like Apple Valley CA, Central Valley, etc. Areas relatively close to urban centers or commuters. Much of these areas have OK coverage.. but can be lacking in performance or vice versa.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Yup, exactly. That's why AT&T and Verizon put so much money into coverage in BFE.
    Partly... they initially 'had' to deploy based on old celluar license requirements. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a high buildout requirement back in the cellular days. PCS didn't have that same requirement, and even BIG carriers like AT&T didn't deploy much where they were PCS only. Hence ~2005ish days, AT&T in Northern MI was [email protected] CellOne/Dobson/Centennial held the 850 licenses.. and had service. Same goes into Northern CA in places like Ukiah.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Partly... they initially 'had' to deploy based on old celluar license requirements. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a high buildout requirement back in the cellular days. PCS didn't have that same requirement, and even BIG carriers like AT&T didn't deploy much where they were PCS only. Hence ~2005ish days, AT&T in Northern MI was [email protected] CellOne/Dobson/Centennial held the 850 licenses.. and had service. Same goes into Northern CA in places like Ukiah.
    That's also true, they did have a high buildout requirement for CLR. However, even in non-CLR markets, the carriers built out quite a bit, like AT&T in NH, which until a few years ago (700mhz) was a PCS-only market. There are some other scattered markets where one of the big carriers doesn't have CLR and has built out PCS, although some are more urban/suburban than rural.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Double the crappy service!
    LOL. Coming from the guy who uses Sprint because it's cheap.... but has pompous advice to others about their choices being substandard.

Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why are soxfan76 and Adam1991 not banned? Is there even a moderator anymore or is this idiocy just going to keep going on and on and on!? I don't post much, but I come on here to learn and find info, but I have now become dumber from reading anything they've posted, so I had to say something! They just contribute nothing and clutter up the whole board with their useless arguments. Anyway, I can't wait to see what the new T-Mobile will accomplish now that they can be real competition to Verizon and At&t.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using HoFo mobile app
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    LOL. Coming from the guy who uses Sprint because it's cheap.... but has pompous advice to others about their choices being substandard.
    My main line is on AT&T. I have a Note 9, which is fully banded for AT&T, including B30, B66, and B14 HPUE. That POS is not fully banded for anything in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    Why are soxfan76 and Adam1991 not banned? Is there even a moderator anymore or is this idiocy just going to keep going on and on and on!? I don't post much, but I come on here to learn and find info, but I have now become dumber from reading anything they've posted, so I had to say something! They just contribute nothing and clutter up the whole board with their useless arguments. Anyway, I can't wait to see what the new T-Mobile will accomplish now that they can be real competition to Verizon and At&t.
    What is your problem? Why are you siding with the T-Mobile trolls? jet1000 and shilohcane are the first two who should be banned, there are a few others that probably should be as well. They are the ones who start these asinine arguments. The discussions here would be fine if the T-Mobile trolls didn't all invade in a zombie hoarde because some people live in reality and aren't worshipers of John Legere the Almighty.

Keep in mind that T-Mobile trolls are a uniquely T-Mobile phenomenon. The Verizon fanboys have barely existed for years, and even when they did, they at least had facts on their side when they made grandiose claims about Verizon's EVDO network. The iPhone and Android fanboys are mostly gone, the Verizon fanboys are a footnote in history, yet the T-Mobile trolls are more vicious than ever after getting high off of the merger news.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    Why are soxfan76 and Adam1991 not banned? Is there even a moderator anymore or is this idiocy just going to keep going on and on and on!? I don't post much, but I come on here to learn and find info, but I have now become dumber from reading anything they've posted, so I had to say something!
    That's not your call.
    That's up to the staff to decide what actions need to be taken and against who.
    But from the complaints coming in, I can tell you it's a lot more than 2 people who are causing problems.

What is your problem? Why are you siding with the T-Mobile trolls? jet1000 and shilohcane are the first two who should be banned, there are a few others that probably should be as well. They are the ones who start these asinine arguments. The discussions here would be fine if the T-Mobile trolls didn't all invade in a zombie hoarde because some people live in reality and aren't worshipers of John Legere the Almighty.

Keep in mind that T-Mobile trolls are a uniquely T-Mobile phenomenon. The Verizon fanboys have barely existed for years, and even when they did, they at least had facts on their side when they made grandiose claims about Verizon's EVDO network. The iPhone and Android fanboys are mostly gone, the Verizon fanboys are a footnote in history, yet the T-Mobile trolls are more vicious than ever after getting high off of the merger news.
    I wouldn't be riding the high horse with this post, because by launching personal attacks against other members on this forum like you're doing now, you are part of the problem of continuing this never ending cycle of fighting. If you have a problem with other members and their posts then you need use the Report Post feature or PM the user in question and continue on with the topic at hand. Once you pull a stunt like this for the staff to see, we wonder what your true intentions are.

Read the rules before you start blasting away...
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...l-forum-rules)
    I'm not going to tolerate name calling and/or personal attacks. This is the same nonsense I have dealt before, and comments like this aren't going to cut here.

I better not see anymore complaints coming from this thread, because rest assured I'm going to look at every complaint from the past and find out who is continuing this nonsense. I already have a idea at who I need to look at and if need be, expand that to more people. Don't be that person...
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 07-31-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Device(s)
    LG K20V, LG L31G, LG 236C, LG 220C, BB 8830, Moto SLVR L7c, others - some good, some bad
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Straight Talk, T-Mo, Voicestream, USCC
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I came here to read some info on the T-Mo/Sprint merger but instead witnessed a war with some of the posters in here. While entertaining in part (definitely not in whole), this is NOT what I came here for...

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techie.thom View Post
    Thank you. I came here to read some info on the T-Mo/Sprint merger but instead witnessed a war with some of the posters in here. While entertaining in part (definitely not in whole), this is NOT what I came here for...
    The merger was definitely the right thing for the industry and the country. To push forward onto the 5G playing field we need empowered corporations who are fully competing with all available spectrum. The battle between AT&T/T-MOBILE/VERIZON is going to be fierce. But, that's not even the best of it. The networking infrastructure in this country (the U.S.) and all around the world will be taking huge leaps forward because of efforts from Amazon, Google, OneWeb, etc. The way we think of cellphone "carriers" today is going to seem primitive to those accessing information on connected devices 50 years from now. As networking infrastructure solidifies and grows... the emphasis will eventually shift away from maximizing profit from selling "service access" to other ways to profit WITHIN the service infrastructure itself.

The future looks bright!

Feedback Score
    The merger was definitely the right thing for the industry and the country. To push forward onto the 5G playing field we need empowered corporations who are fully competing with all available spectrum. The battle between AT&T/T-MOBILE/VERIZON is going to be fierce. But, that's not even the best of it. The networking infrastructure in this country (the U.S.) and all around the world will be taking huge leaps forward because of efforts from Amazon, Google, OneWeb, etc. The way we think of cellphone "carriers" today is going to seem primitive to those accessing information on connected devices 50 years from now. As networking infrastructure solidifies and grows... the emphasis will eventually shift away from maximizing profit from selling "service access" to other ways to profit WITHIN the service infrastructure itself.

The future looks bright!

I would not get excited yet until the federal judge signs off on the deal few months from now. Plus they have all those state AGs out for blood, they gotta deal with that too.

So this is not going to be a smooth transition. Something tells me the AGs are going to be hell bent on ripping apart this deal. Likely to attack dish as its the weakest target. Though I suspect the AGs will go away once undisclosed large sums of money are "donated" to them.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    The merger was definitely the right thing for the industry and the country.
    That's a tough argument to make. It's certainly great for T-Mobile, and could be good for putting a band-aid on our failed rural broadband policies, but there's no question that it negatively affects competition by taking a currently existing carrier off the market in favor of a future carrier that may never exist.

To push forward onto the 5G playing field we need empowered corporations who are fully competing with all available spectrum.
    Sprint would have deployed the 2.5 in major metros, and that is/was their path to 5G that's far less capital intensive than AT&T or T-Mobile, much less Verizon's small cell fiber bonanaza that has been necessitated by their crappy spectrum position. Of course, Sprint could have blown it like they have with other things, but who knows.

The battle between AT&T/T-MOBILE/VERIZON is going to be fierce.
    Color me skeptical. T-Sprint will have crazy fast service in metros and probably now in smaller cities as well, but suburban/exurban still is too spread out for 2.5 to be widely available, and I highly doubt that they will build out the towers in BFE at the density necessary to compete with VZ and T. Further, many of VZ and T's customers have been with their predecessors since the 1990's and have no interest in switching. I know a few people like myself whose accounts come from SNET (AT&T), but most were on BAM (Cellco) and have no interest in switching. Meanwhile, for value seekers and low-income customers, prices will go up with the loss of Sprint unless DISH magically gets their stuff together and builds this supposed 5G network.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    So this is not going to be a smooth transition. Something tells me the AGs are going to be hell bent on ripping apart this deal. Likely to attack dish as its the weakest target. Though I suspect the AGs will go away once undisclosed large sums of money are "donated" to them.
    I get the gut feeling that the AG lawsuits won't be successful, but they certainly are going to be interesting to watch. I'm cautiously hopeful that they will succeed, since their arguments are spot on.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast