Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless Delaying CDMA Retirement?

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon Wireless Delaying CDMA Retirement?

Pulled up this VZW article which appears to be recently updated
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/

CDMA Network Activation Retirement

As we complete our network transition to 4G and 5G, we at Verizon would like to keep you up to date with some important activities.

We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, which offers superior coverage and performance compared to previous generation networks. Starting January 1, 2020, Verizon will no longer allow any CDMA (3G and 4G Non-HD Voice) 'Like-for-Like' device changes.

Additional changes include but are not limited to:
    CDMA TimelineCDMA Timeline 2021
    CDMA Timeline impacted devices
    Sign in to My Verizon to check your upgrade eligibility and get the latest and greatest devices on the market. Enterprise customers can visit My Business to explore options.

2021? Say what? Previous date was around December 31, 2019.

Anyone have any info or insights or updates about this? I tried two updated browsers and neither will open the CDMA Timeline links above.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The way I interpret the statement is that you cannot get a non-LTE replacement device for an insurance claim or a warranty claim which makes sense. It is possible they determined there were just too many current customers with older technology devices to completely shut down the entire CDMA network at the end of 2019.

I know they stopped selling non-LTE devices earlier this year. They are strongly encouraging everybody to upgrade older devices to the newer technology.

Just my thoughts on the statement.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post

As we complete our network transition to 4G and 5G, we at Verizon would like to keep you up to date with some important activities.

We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, which offers superior coverage and performance compared to previous generation networks. Starting January 1, 2020, Verizon will no longer allow any CDMA (3G and 4G Non-HD Voice) 'Like-for-Like' device changes.

Sign in to My Verizon to check your upgrade eligibility and get the latest and greatest devices on the market. Enterprise customers can visit My Business to explore options.

Anyone have any info or insights or updates about this? I tried two updated browsers and neither will open the CDMA Timeline links above.
    It sounds like a delay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post

I could have told you this. It was never a shut down anyway, just blocking access to it and keeping it up for Enterprise customers

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was advised by my alarm company that the deadline for upgrading my alarm system to LTE had been extended.. I think I can keep the old CDMA card through 2021 now..

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Or the change could just be saying that they won't allow exchanges on 3G to 3G. Doesn't say that consumers can continue to use CDMA for voice after December 31st.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Or the change could just be saying that they won't allow exchanges on 3G to 3G. Doesn't say that consumers can continue to use CDMA for voice after December 31st.
    So they are shutting down CDMA for another year?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    So they are shutting down CDMA for another year?

They never were shutting it down this year. Only blocking access. They are keeping it up for Enterprise customers

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    They never were shutting it down this year. Only blocking access. They are keeping it up for Enterprise customers

OK I take it it’s only for Internet of things enterprise customers?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As far as I know there is no delay in CDMA shutdown for general / public usage. But you should remember that CDMA network of Verizon may/will still be available for some corporate customers and IOT devices for another year or two. But as regular user you will not be able to use your CDMA/non-VoLTE phone for voice calls starting from 1/1/2020 (of course, some delays in some areas for few days or even weeks are possible in case of technical issues). In theory, you may use LTE (but non-VoLTE) phone for data only (and make voice calls using VoiP/SIP/Skype/Whatsapp etc.) if you move your Verizon LTE SIM to this phone.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah, technically right, CDMA was not going to be shut down at end of year. But, when everyone but a few enterprise customers was going to be barred... well, I'm not going to correct someone who calls it a shutdown.

So, this is a good question though -- why would VZW allow "like-for-like" changes right up to January 1, 2020 if the service was being shut off Dec. 31, 2019? And the bit that says "Additional changes include but are not limited to: CDMA TimelineCDMA Timeline 2021" to me suggests they have a *revised* 2021 timeline, not the already existing timeline that was letting a few enterprise users use it for a few more years. I wish this page was dated, so it was possible to tell if this is a *new* page being put up suggesting a possible extension, or just an out-of-date page from before they decided on end of year 2019.

Edit:
    Nothing to see here -- I tried googling that knowledge base number "verizon wireless 218813", and there's links from reddit etc. to this verizon link going back to Aug. 2018. So it's an out of date link from before they rolled the retirement date back to end of year 2019, not a new link where they might be re-extending it some.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I could have told you this. It was never a shut down anyway, just blocking access to it and keeping it up for Enterprise customers

The part they are using for enterprise customers is not a part they used for residential phone users anyway. That part is still being shut down.

In my area Verizon's 850 MHz consists of a 11X11 MHz block and 1.5X1.5 MHz block. That 1.5X1.5 block is what is being keep alive for enterprise customers. In other areas Verizon's 850 is 10X10 MHz and 2.5X2.5 MHz. That 2.5 MHz is what is being used for enterprise. The larger blocks in both cases is being converted to LTE and already has partially in most areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When will Verizon be kicking off 3G roaming Sprint users?
    Sprint Apple iPhone 6 (A1586) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium 500 running iOS 12.3.1 with Sprint 36.1 and PRL 55071 and modem firmware 7.70.01 and SIM card version 63.09a

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    When will Verizon be kicking off 3G roaming Sprint users?
    Sprint has att and TMobile roaming So vzw well be less of a issue.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint has att and TMobile roaming So vzw well be less of a issue.

It's not working though. At least where I live.

My Sprint phone roams on Verizon 3G for voice even though there is perfect AT&T signal here and probably T-Mobile too.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast