Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless Delaying CDMA Retirement?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I think you are talking about Sprint phones that are considered "world phones", i.e. they have both CDMA and GSM radios -- sure those would support UMTS. But your standard Sprint CDMA phones won't. In any case, Sprint doesn't do roaming (no roaming agreements) with the US GSM carriers (AT&T and Tmo).
    iPhone's 5c/5s, 6 and newer are compatible with all 4 US carriers. Basically all the LTE phones are UMTS compatible.

I have roamed onto AT&T LTE with my Sprint iPhone 6 before. It just don't work in the area I live for some reason. Seems to prefer Verizon 3G here. Oh if I make a call while in a AT&T LTE roaming area the phone will drop to Verizon 1x to make the voice call.
    Personal: Sprint Apple iPhone 6 (A1586) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium 500 running iOS 12.4.1 with Sprint 36.1 and PRL 55071 and modem firmware 7.80.04 and SIM card version 63.09a
    Work: Verizon LG G2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Not sure why you say "I can't"....
    Did you read the rules? You're not going to get another 18 months of switching CDMA devices. You've got 5. And already you are not allowed to add CDMA only devices to a line that doesn't already have one.

Starting 1/1/2020:
    No Longer Allowed:
    * Transfer of Service, moving from one account to another account
    * Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), providing a CDMA device to activate on an existing line
    * Swapping one CDMA device for another CDMA device
    * Roaming outside of the US

Its not me that is not ready, its Verizon.
    I never said YOU specifically. The fact is it's is a bunch of luddites that do not want to upgrade even to another basic phone because the new 4G ones "cost too much". Verizon doesn't want the bad press because of some grandma who couldn't make a call because her 2006 flip phone stopped working. Verizon should just offer those people $100 off any 4G basic phone. Then they have no excuses not to upgrade.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Did you read the rules? You're not going to get another 18 months of switching CDMA devices. You've got 5. And already you are not allowed to add CDMA only devices to a line that doesn't already have one.
    If you read the thread, monkeyboy was referring to turning VoLTE off on a VoLTE-capable device, which will still be allowed right up until the day they pull the plug.

As to why one would want to sound like they are underwater and not speaking any intelligible language ever known to man is another story entirely when they could use the crystal clear VoLTE network, even if it's a tad bit patchier than CDMA.

I never said YOU specifically. The fact is it's is a bunch of luddites that do not want to upgrade even to another basic phone because the new 4G ones "cost too much". Verizon doesn't want the bad press because of some grandma who couldn't make a call because her 2006 flip phone stopped working. Verizon should just offer those people $100 off any 4G basic phone. Then they have no excuses not to upgrade.
    These people will complain no matter what. Even if they are given a brand new smartphone for "free" they'll complain. There's also a business decision in how to migrate them, as they are WAY overpaying for their service considering that those folks don't use much of any network capacity and are dumb enough to be paying postpaid prices for a flip phone that they could get on Wal-Mart prepaid service for $25/mo or even less depending on how much they use it.

The LTE flip phones that AT&T (yes, the one that's Cingular branded on AT&T) and Verizon have are hilarious as they are literally more expensive than a cheapo smartphone. I love the value phones that are $200-$400, but these $20 Android phones are a weird world indeed.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm glad they are, our Highway (on federal and state highways) Call Box Program in Mendocino County depends on VZ CDMA for much of it's service, though some use satellite for service due to there being little or no cell service in their locations. They are working with VZ to get this worked out before the shut off, but the extra time will help them for sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I'm glad they are, our Highway (on federal and state highways) Call Box Program in Mendocino County depends on VZ CDMA for much of it's service, though some use satellite for service due to there being little or no cell service in their locations. They are working with VZ to get this worked out before the shut off, but the extra time will help them for sure.
    CDMA will continue for several years in the small 1.5 MHz slices they have that are designed for such uses. they can still shut down their main CDMA and not affect that. I 100% guarantee in Dec 2020 you will still here cries of "I'm not ready I need more time!" You can give them until Dec 2025 and there would still be people not wanting to let go. At some point you've got to just cut the cord

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    CDMA will continue for several years in the small 1.5 MHz slices they have that are designed for such uses. they can still shut down their main CDMA and not affect that. I 100% guarantee in Dec 2020 you will still here cries of "I'm not ready I need more time!" You can give them until Dec 2025 and there would still be people not wanting to let go. At some point you've got to just cut the cord
    The call boxes are vital to ensuring public safety up here, and the fact they're having to work with Verizon over this tells me it's a lot more complicated than that. They had to go through this one other time, when VZ shut down AMPS. Like I said, some are satellite serviced, in areas where there is unusable or no cell signal, not most of them are CDMA based. It's really hard to fully understand how it is here unless you actually live here.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    The call boxes are vital to ensuring public safety up here, and the fact they're having to work with Verizon over this tells me it's a lot more complicated than that. They had to go through this one other time, when VZ shut down AMPS. Like I said, some are satellite serviced, in areas where there is unusable or no cell signal, not most of them are CDMA based. It's really hard to fully understand how it is here unless you actually live here.
    Does no one live out there? No POTS/fiber? They should work with Verizon to get full LTE coverage along those routes. The challenge is that with their spectrum position, they are too tied up doing urban/suburban densification to look at fixing bad rural coverage, which both AT&T and Verizon seem to have a lot of. A lot of these areas have never really been engineered or tested for 2G/3G/LTE, they just keep upgrading old AMPS sites and you get what you get.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Does no one live out there? No POTS/fiber? They should work with Verizon to get full LTE coverage along those routes. The challenge is that with their spectrum position, they are too tied up doing urban/suburban densification to look at fixing bad rural coverage, which both AT&T and Verizon seem to have a lot of. A lot of these areas have never really been engineered or tested for 2G/3G/LTE, they just keep upgrading old AMPS sites and you get what you get.
    Some areas have little to no population, true, but many of those area are also on main highways, vital highways (like US 101 and CA 20) between towns and cities, call boxes are vital to public safety. They do have some call boxes running on satellite, but with the forest cover (including Redwoods that approach 400 feet) hills, mountains and canyons here, satellite isn't feasible in all areas, and it's a lot more expensive than using cellular. Oh, and yes, there are locations without POTS or Fiber. You'd really have to be from here, or visit here often to fully understand how things are, like trying to explain to a farmer in Iowa about the situation in the South Bronx, or vice versa, you know?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Some areas have little to no population, true, but many of those area are also on main highways, vital highways (like US 101 and CA 20) between towns and cities, call boxes are vital to public safety. They do have some call boxes running on satellite, but with the forest cover (including Redwoods that approach 400 feet) hills, mountains and canyons here, satellite isn't feasible in all areas, and it's a lot more expensive than using cellular. Oh, and yes, there are locations without POTS or Fiber. You'd really have to be from here, or visit here often to fully understand how things are, like trying to explain to a farmer in Iowa about the situation in the South Bronx, or vice versa, you know?
    I don't think I've been up as far as you're at, but I have been to some pretty remote places east of San Francsico, and in a bunch of other states like WA, MI, IA, ME, NH, VT, AK, etc. I like to find the most ends of the earth places. I find that places with crap cell phone service are usually the most interesting, but it doesn't stop me from wanting carriers to do a less crappy job of covering this amazing and fascinating country.

Feedback Score
    Those locations still need power for those towers. And line of sight from tower to tower for backhaul - if there is no fiber between them.

"Public safety" is a... fable. They can dispatch a state trooper to patrol on the highway like they do in AZ. Cheaper than carrying diesel fuel for generators (plus maintenance crews).

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    "Public safety" is a... fable. They can dispatch a state trooper to patrol on the highway like they do in AZ. Cheaper than carrying diesel fuel for generators (plus maintenance crews).
    I was just referring to general service, not necessarily public safety. Running towers on diesel generators is insane. Solar/battery systems work well if there is no grid in the area. They would have to be built in a microwave chain with fiber on the two ends of the chain for a redundant path. That method is already used in many rural areas.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Those locations still need power for those towers. And line of sight from tower to tower for backhaul - if there is no fiber between them.

Wow, when did you move here? I must have missed it, come by and say hi sometime

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    I don't think I've been up as far as you're at, but I have been to some pretty remote places east of San Francsico, and in a bunch of other states like WA, MI, IA, ME, NH, VT, AK, etc. I like to find the most ends of the earth places. I find that places with crap cell phone service are usually the most interesting, but it doesn't stop me from wanting carriers to do a less crappy job of covering this amazing and fascinating country.
    This is truly an amazing and beautiful country for sure! I've been across a lot of it by train and car, I never get tired of it! If you ever come out here again, come on up, it's beautiful! I'll leave a Shrimp on the Barbie for ya

http://www.visitmendocino.com

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    This is truly an amazing and beautiful country for sure! I've been across a lot of it by train and car, I never get tired of it! If you ever come out here again, come on up, it's beautiful! I'll leave a Shrimp on the Barbie for ya

http://www.visitmendocino.com
    Haha thanks! I'll be in Cali later this year, but not your part. LA Basin out to Vegas.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The part they are using for enterprise customers is not a part they used for residential phone users anyway. That part is still being shut down.

In my area Verizon's 850 MHz consists of a 11X11 MHz block and 1.5X1.5 MHz block. That 1.5X1.5 block is what is being keep alive for enterprise customers. In other areas Verizon's 850 is 10X10 MHz and 2.5X2.5 MHz. That 2.5 MHz is what is being used for enterprise. The larger blocks in both cases is being converted to LTE and already has partially in most areas.
    Huh? That’s not how it works at all...

CDMA runs in 1.25MHz x 1.25MHz pairs which can encompass 1xRTT & IS-95B in the same spectrum.

EVDO is also a 1.25MHz x 1.25MHz block as well and runs independently of 1xRTT..

There’s no “separate” enterprise frequency. They can assign different priority but on voice that only applies to gov entities using WPS.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast