Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless Delaying CDMA Retirement?

Carrier(s)
    Squashing Conservatism Not Good
    Feedback Score
    Verizon just updated the URL https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ (new text below) so the full CDMA retirement for non-enterprise users now not until December 31, *2020*, though one can expect a degradation of the old CDMA network as some already have between now and then.

CDMA Network Retirement

As we complete our network transition to 4G and 5G, we at Verizon would like to keep you up to date with some important activities.

We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, which offers superior coverage and performance compared to previous generation networks. Starting January 1, 2020, Verizon will no longer allow any CDMA (3G and 4G Non-HD Voice) 'Like-for-Like' device changes.

Additional changes include but are not limited to:

Starting 1/1/2020:
    No Longer Allowed:
    * Transfer of Service, moving from one account to another account
    * Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), providing a CDMA device to activate on an existing line
    * Swapping one CDMA device for another CDMA device
    * Roaming outside of the US
    Still Allowed:
    * Suspend / Resume
    * Number change
    * Upgrades to compatible 4G or 5G devices
    * Activating new lines of 4G or 5G devices

Starting 1/1/2021:
    We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, the Verizon CDMA Network will remain available as-is until December 31, 2020. Any service requests related to CDMA devices will receive limited support and be encouraged to upgrade to newer technology.

Impacted Devices:
    * 3G-only devices, including 3G basic phones and 3G smartphones
    * 4G LTE smartphones that do not support HD Voice (ex: Apple® iPhone® 5s or prior)
    * Connected devices with CDMA (e.g., GizmoPal, GizmoPal2, GizmoGadget and some Hum + models)
    * Proprietary Customer Built 3G Equipment

Sign in to My Verizon to check your upgrade eligibility and get the latest and greatest devices on the market. Enterprise customers can visit My Business to explore options.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    My Sprint phone roams on Verizon 3G for voice even though there is perfect AT&T signal here and probably T-Mobile too.
    Not sure what's this means... Sprint is still CDMA for voice mostly so that is 1x, there is no 3G except for data EVDO. Sprint would be roaming Verizon on 1x. ATT and TMO don't have 1x and their 3G is incompatible UTMS.

OK so anyways I guess I can switch back to using Verizon CDMA for another 18mos and avoid all those dropped calls when using VoLTE...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Not sure what's this means... Sprint is still CDMA for voice mostly so that is 1x, there is no 3G except for data EVDO. Sprint would be roaming Verizon on 1x. ATT and TMO don't have 1x and their 3G is incompatible UTMS.

OK so anyways I guess I can switch back to using Verizon CDMA for another 18mos and avoid all those dropped calls when using VoLTE...
    Sprint phones support umts.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Sprint phones support umts.
    I think you are talking about Sprint phones that are considered "world phones", i.e. they have both CDMA and GSM radios -- sure those would support UMTS. But your standard Sprint CDMA phones won't. In any case, Sprint doesn't do roaming (no roaming agreements) with the US GSM carriers (AT&T and Tmo).

Feedback Score
    I think you are talking about Sprint phones that are considered "world phones", i.e. they have both CDMA and GSM radios -- sure those would support UMTS. But your standard Sprint CDMA phones won't. In any case, Sprint doesn't do roaming (no roaming agreements) with the US GSM carriers (AT&T and Tmo).
    Wrong they actually do. I roamed onto TMO before. What do you mean world phone? Every Sprint phone from 2015 to today works on att and TMobile. Sprint added att 3 or so years ago and TMobile after the merger was announced

Feedback Score
    Also not sure why you are talking about CDMA vs GSM when both are dieing out CDMA is 2G/3G and GSM is 2G. Both have LTE. LTE is the same on any carrier

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They probably needed more time to fill in those holes in coverage where 4g would not reach.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    LTE is the same on any carrier
    Not exactly true, each carrier has it's own supported LTE bands. It isn't truly universal among all carriers yet.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    No you can't and your attitude is exactly why they should keep it at Jan 1 2020

Feedback Score
    This is bull. Guess what, come the end of 2020 you'll still have people saying "I'm not ready yet. Unfair! Unfair" When you set a deadline then you change it no one takes you seriously anymore. The same people not ready now won't be ready next year and won't be ready a year later if you extended it again.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Please tone done the discussion, no need to get so hostile. If this discussion gets too heated I guarantee that this thread will be closed.

This is is my Moderator voice.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    No you can't and your attitude is exactly why they should keep it at Jan 1 2020...
    The same people not ready now won't be ready next year and won't be ready a year later if you extended it again.
    Not sure why you say "I can't".... I easily and often switch to CDMA (turn off VoLTE) on my phone. Let's be clear, I don't WANT to... but I have to in order to get drop-free calls.

Its not me that is not ready, its Verizon. I would be happy, happy to rely upon VoLTE, but I can't... no signal, weak signal, many dropped calls. And it isn't just me, all my colleagues on Verizon report the same (and are getting frustrated).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Not exactly true, each carrier has it's own supported LTE bands. It isn't truly universal among all carriers yet.
    Lol. I meant LTE is the same in general no bands used. The technology is the same

Feedback Score
    You haven't been able to activate any new CDMA-only devices on VZW for at least a year. But I would personally like to see all the 2G networks stay active as a fail-safe in the event of a national emergency where first-responders can communicate exclusively on it.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    I could have told you this. It was never a shut down anyway, just blocking access to it and keeping it up for Enterprise customers
    I think you're right, but some people have interpreted the statement about enterprise customers to mean only specific enterprise customers in specific markets.

I guess no matter what, Verizon, Sprint, and USCC phones would still have SOS-only service on CDMA? That would be super annoying to have SOS-only service often when you're outside of the LTE coverage area on a given tower, but CDMA is still active.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    In my area Verizon's 850 MHz consists of a 11X11 MHz block and 1.5X1.5 MHz block. That 1.5X1.5 block is what is being keep alive for enterprise customers. In other areas Verizon's 850 is 10X10 MHz and 2.5X2.5 MHz. That 2.5 MHz is what is being used for enterprise. The larger blocks in both cases is being converted to LTE and already has partially in most areas.
    I wonder if they're going to go ahead and strip it down to just 1.5x1.5mhz or 2.5x2.5mhz in B5 markets at EOY19 and let regular customers use it? And have they already shut EVDO down? It seems like EVDO would be a zombie network at this point. That would take all the pressure off for spectrum re-farming, and they could just let CDMA go to hell in more populated areas.

Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    It's not working though. At least where I live.

My Sprint phone roams on Verizon 3G for voice even though there is perfect AT&T signal here and probably T-Mobile too.
    Yeah, they still use a lot of VZ roaming. I wonder if Sprint is considered an "enterprise customer"? At this point, why not leave up that 1.25x1.25 or 2.5x2.5mhz block and keep raking in roaming revenue until TMUS shuts down S's CDMA for good? The thing can't last forever, but considering that they haven't built a CDMA site in years, allowing existing ones to continue operating on spectrum that's useless for LTE anyway isn't hurting them, as least until stuff starts breaking and they're out of spare parts.

I think you are talking about Sprint phones that are considered "world phones", i.e. they have both CDMA and GSM radios -- sure those would support UMTS.
    That's virtually every phone on Sprint. They roam on AT&T LTE, not sure if they will roam on AT&T UMTS beyond SOS-only. I have personally roamed on Verizon CDMA, AT&T LTE, T-Mobile LTE, USCC LTE, and USCC CDMA on Sprint. And somehow their service/coverage STILL stucks.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieL241 View Post
    You haven't been able to activate any new CDMA-only devices on VZW for at least a year. But I would personally like to see all the 2G networks stay active as a fail-safe in the event of a national emergency where first-responders can communicate exclusively on it.
    Um, we have that, except it's 4G LTE with HPUE on FirstNET. It's a giant wasteful government boondoggle that AT&T turned into something good for AT&T and it's customers. Po-po and fire use trunked radio in an emergency, not cell phones.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast