Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless Delaying CDMA Retirement?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Markets without B5 like Orlando for example user B2 for CDMA.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    And you guys are losing out on 5 MHz of spectrum that could be used for LTE until CDMA shuts down. I'm not sure why Verizon and at&t don't swap areas where each has both blocks of 850? Though at&t has more areas that have both than Verizon. Also don't know why T-Mobile hangs on to that 850 in Myrtle Beach SC why not sell it to whichever carrier lacks that spectrum there?

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    I hate to have to defend Jack Hagar here, but in this case, he's basically right. There is a 1.25x1.25mhz or 2.5x2.5mhz slice of B5 that's left over in an LTE deployment and can't do anything else. So Verizon could keep that little slice on CDMA, and continue offering it with no impact to the LTE or 5G deployments in the remaining 10x10mhz or 10x10mhz of 11.25x11.25mhz of B5. Only markets without B5 would be affected, and even then only 5x5.

The bottom line is that shutting down CDMA has little to do with spectrum and much to do with paying to maintain a legacy network.
    I never mentioned anything about spectrum utilization.

Sent from my XP8800 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I never mentioned anything about spectrum utilization.
    Um.................

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    What are you talking about? CDMA never ran those slices....

1xRTT & EVDO ONLY RAN 1.25MHz x 1.25MHz ... Never 1.5 or 2.5MHz....
    Seems like you're talking about utilization right there

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    And you guys are losing out on 5 MHz of spectrum that could be used for LTE until CDMA shuts down. I'm not sure why Verizon and at&t don't swap areas where each has both blocks of 850? Though at&t has more areas that have both than Verizon. Also don't know why T-Mobile hangs on to that 850 in Myrtle Beach SC why not sell it to whichever carrier lacks that spectrum there?
    TMobile doesn't own B12 there so there is no way they will give off having a additional 10x10 of capacity. Also what would att and VZW swap? Swaps have to be even

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Markets without B5 like Orlando for example user B2 for CDMA.
    Correct. In those handful of markets, Verizon would lose a 5x5 of B2 to keep CDMA running. They could also shut it down in B2-only markets since it has no range benefit then over B13 LTE, and the range advantage is almost entirely in mountainous and/or heavily wooded areas, which Orlando is not.

If you can see the areas that are yellow are 1.5 X 1.5 MHz and the areas that are green are 2.5 X2.5 MHz. So one can fit a 1.25 X1.25 MHz 1x carrier in those. what else is Verizon going use that spectrum on. You can't use it for LTE or 5G and it's not worth using CA on even if you could.
    In this case you're pretty much right. They could deploy B5 LTE at 1.4mhz but it's not worth it, since that channels is so narrow it would get crushed too easily. That is certainly enough for CDMA/1x if they cranked the voice quality all the way down to trash (which is already is in many markets), and got rid of EVDO entirely.

You would think. T-Mobile should swap that B5 for AT&T's B12 A-block plus some PCS. It would make a heck of a lot more sense. The dual-B5 markets are more complicated, as the dual-B5 carrier likely has way more customers in those markets due to the history of owning both cellular carriers in that market, so they need more spectrum, and they can't always as easily swap equivalent spectrum. Also, with B12/13/14 it really doesn't matter anymore, it's just a total aggregate. They both have 10x10 of low-band in every market now.

TMobile doesn't own B12 there so there is no way they will give off having a additional 10x10 of capacity. Also what would att and VZW swap? Swaps have to be even

That's either the only or one of the only market AT&T owns non-B17 B12 (i.e. 700 lower A) in as well, so AT&T would swap B12 and some PCS for B5, which would make a LOT more sense for both carriers.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Since AT&T does not have any other B5 in the Carolinas, they probably don't care much about that one tiny patch, anyway.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm wondering what's going to happen when AT&T drops HSDPA+, a lot of SmartMeter's use it.
    Personal: Sprint Apple iPhone 6s (A1688) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium SWAC Plus running iOS 13.3 with Sprint 40.0 and PRL 55071 and modem firmware 7.30.02 and SIM card version 63.09a
    Work: Verizon LG G2

Feedback Score

Once again not reading everything I wrote., Sigh. I already acknowledge it wouldn't be even and any reading level about grade school would have caught that. If you're not going to read then don't reply. I give you an F.

Also t-mobile doesn't own band 12 in a lot of places. It's the ONLY place in the US t-mobile owns that band.

Feedback Score
    Once again not reading everything I wrote., Sigh. I already acknowledge it wouldn't be even and any reading level about grade school would have caught that. If you're not going to read then don't reply. I give you an F.

Also t-mobile doesn't own band 12 in a lot of places. It's the ONLY place in the US t-mobile owns that band.
    Wow I didn't say anything to warrant saying that. Thanks for making me if even more like crap with anxiety then I already do.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Woah, this wasn’t necessary. But if I were a carrier, I’d keep whatever spectrum I have. It isn’t unlimited, especially below 1 GHz. If T-Mobile were interested in making money off of it, they would’ve sold it years ago. It supplements their holdings just fine. AT&T also has A+B block 700, so while it might be less than their other markets, they aren’t hurting that much in low band, especially with Band 14...

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Woah, this wasn’t necessary. But if I were a carrier, I’d keep whatever spectrum I have. It isn’t unlimited, especially below 1 GHz. If T-Mobile were interested in making money off of it, they would’ve sold it years ago. It supplements their holdings just fine. AT&T also has A+B block 700, so while it might be less than their other markets, they aren’t hurting that much in low band, especially with Band 14...

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    There is a small footprint where they have A block and small amount where TMobile has the B block

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    I'm wondering what's going to happen when AT&T drops HSDPA+, a lot of SmartMeter's use it.
    They will have to upgrade.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    The whole idea is that AT&T would give T-Mobile 700 Lower A, and a 5x5 of PCS or AWS in exchange for that oddball cellular block so that T-Mobile could get rid of B5/n5 nationwide, and that might be the only place AT&T owns the 700 Lower A as well, but I could be wrong on that one.

Feedback Score
    The whole idea is that AT&T wouldn't give T-Mobile 700 Lower A, and a 5x5 of PCS or AWS in exchange for that oddball cellular block so that T-Mobile could get rid of B5/n5 nationwide, and that might be the only place AT&T owns the 700 Lower A as well, but I could be wrong on that one.
    That wouldn't make any since as att has 10x10 B12 with the A and B block and for TMO to go from 10x10 B5 to 5x5 B2 and 5x5 B12 and att would then end up with 5x5 B12

Feedback Score
    The whole idea is that AT&T would give T-Mobile 700 Lower A, and a 5x5 of PCS or AWS in exchange for that oddball cellular block so that T-Mobile could get rid of B5/n5 nationwide, and that might be the only place AT&T owns the 700 Lower A as well, but I could be wrong on that one.
    To add to this spectrum Omega shows that att has all 3 blocks, A,B And C if true that's even better as they can do 12+12 for CA where they cant do 12+5

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast