Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Verizon Wireless Delaying CDMA Retirement?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, & T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm on 1x right now in a town of 10k people. A ridge blocks LTE service to half the town. Hope they fix this before they shut it off. Other carriers have put up small monopoles to fix the "coverage shadow". Zip 81625.Name:  Screenshot_20190817-112431~2.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  23.5 KB

Sent from my LM-G820 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Here as well (Upstate NY)... and not rural, but in the heart of the city of 150,000.
    To expect coverage in a basement is not even remotely reasonable.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Why? I've never lived in a place that the cell did not work in the basement (in fact, my current place AT&T works better in the basement than it does on the upper floors for some odd reason)

If CDMA coverage is there now, why should the replacement network not be as good?
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I didn't necessarily expect basement coverage... I do expect 4th floor office coverage (plenty of windows), as well as ground floor coverage, and driving on main roads. Mostly I expect coverage to be no worse than before (VoLTE as good as CDMA 1xrtt)...

Pretty pathetic when VZW VoLTE cuts out on main roads right around the major medical center of Central NY... and a major university -- never did that with VZW CDMA.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Basement coverage is possible if you have one with half/third size windows, those windows face in the direction of the cell phone, and the cell tower is very close by, and there are no other obstructions between you and the tower such as dense vegetation or buildings more than a couple of stories or other infrastructure. Definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I didn't necessarily expect basement coverage... I do expect 4th floor office coverage (plenty of windows), as well as ground floor coverage, and driving on main roads. Mostly I expect coverage to be no worse than before (VoLTE as good as CDMA 1xrtt)...

Pretty pathetic when VZW VoLTE cuts out on main roads right around the major medical center of Central NY... and a major university -- never did that with VZW CDMA.
    Well good thing you have 3 other carriers to choose from then.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    Basement coverage is possible if you have one with half/third size windows, those windows face in the direction of the cell phone, and the cell tower is very close by, and there are no other obstructions between you and the tower such as dense vegetation or buildings more than a couple of stories or other infrastructure. Definitely the exception rather than the rule.
    I've gotten basement coverage in plenty of places even in areas with poor reception to being with. It depends on the building, construction, and phone being used. RF depends on a lot of things. They're never going to cover every basement everywhere, but if the network is too thin to begin with, then they're going to end up with a lot of coverage issues.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can we bring the conversation back to the thread title and drop the "basement coverage" discussions ?? If not, I will be happy to close the thread.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well Verizon should have stuck to the Dec 31 2019 date and maybe they should have spent less time and resources on a 5G rollout when there's hardly any devices anyway and worked more on making sure they could meet a deadline they set over 3 years ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I probably could've predicted the extension based on cell site modifications and new towers going up here over the past 1-2 years. In late 2017/early 2018 they added a site and swapped some panels on a few other sites and increased the bandwidth on 850 Mhz/Band 5 from 5x5 to 10x10. But since mid 2018 and including a new site that went live a few weeks ago, all new sites here only have 5x5 Band 5.

I don't know how easy it is for them on the new sites to switch to 10x10 Band 5. Is it a simple software change that they could still switch on January 1, 2020 - or is it more complicated where they'll make the switch sometime after January 2021 when they do other cell site work?
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    I probably could've predicted the extension based on cell site modifications and new towers going up here over the past 1-2 years. In late 2017/early 2018 they added a site and swapped some panels on a few other sites and increased the bandwidth on 850 Mhz/Band 5 from 5x5 to 10x10. But since mid 2018 and including a new site that went live a few weeks ago, all new sites here only have 5x5 Band 5.

I don't know how easy it is for them on the new sites to switch to 10x10 Band 5. Is it a simple software change that they could still switch on January 1, 2020 - or is it more complicated where they'll make the switch sometime after January 2021 when they do other cell site work?
    They should be able to re-configure the LTE channels remotely. The bigger question is how easy is it to cut the CDMA channels down? Presumably when they do shut it down, it will be abandoned in place like AT&T did with GSM, and the equipment will be removed on an as-needed basis or when future work is done to the site.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6