Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless Delaying CDMA Retirement?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I didn't ask if there are any CDMA networks left outside the US. I asked if Verizon can still roam on any of them, which their article implies, but their roaming map denies.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    I didn't ask if there are any CDMA networks left outside the US. I asked if Verizon can still roam on any of them, which their article implies, but their roaming map denies.
    Um.. if there are no CDMA networks of course you can't roam on something that doesn't exist. So yes you were in fact asking if there were CDMA networks outside the US. otherwise your question is moot.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    After viewing the Verizon International map, clearly they do not allow Intl roaming outside the US on CDMA networks (which probably no longer exist outside the US). Clearly Jack Hagar's and jack4's comments are right on track.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The main issue with using Verizon phones internationally is the LTE band support. I think that this is an issue mainly for Android phones, since newer iPhones support all LTE bands, in addition to supporting CDMA for the Verizon model.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...A2000_networks It shows both still active and defunct networks. There's still some active out there in the world, but the amount has dwindled significantly.
    Good find, but based on the thread title and the Verizon coverage maps, it doesn't matter if you are using an active Verizon # if they don't have an active roaming agreement for CDMA roaming.

If someone wants to use a regional SIM card with a different phone #, that might be possible and Verizon wouldn't charge roaming usage on the CDMA network in that example. I would have to imagine that LTE is available in many of those countries who still use CDMA frequencies.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Um.. if there are no CDMA networks of course you can't roam on something that doesn't exist.
    Who said they don't exist? They do, even though not much of them are left. Check the link that october262 provided.

So yes you were in fact asking if there were CDMA networks outside the US.
    No, I usually don't ask about things I already know.

Anyway, https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ervices-legal/ says "CDMA-only devices will not work outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands", so https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ is most likely wrong. If this part is wrong, I wonder if other things from there can be trusted.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    Who said they don't exist? They do, even though not much of them are left. Check the link that october262 provided.
    I did. I stand by my statement. Don't assume I didn't read something when I did

No, I usually don't ask about things I already know.
    Hello pot meet kettle

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I did. I stand by my statement. Don't assume I didn't read something when I did
    If you read the Wikipedia link and still think that they don't exist, the only explanation I can think of is you don't know what "active networks" means.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The bottom line is if Verizon doesn't have international roaming agreements on CDMA in those countries/networks, then the consumer has no access using their Verizon device with their Verizon phone #. Arguing if it is possible is moot at this point.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Regardless of the roaming, Verizon realized the rural coverage they were going to loose by shutting this off. I still have buildings in Ohio and Chicago (Chicago has gotten a lot better, but I still have issues in a lot of "basement" condos/apartments) I have to shut my LTE off to even be able to hold a call that does not drop.

Verizon just needs more time to densify, and they've realized this as LTE is just very fragile in low RF environments, and with recent service degradation in places like my sister's neighborhood (they adjusted the macrocell due to adjacent microcells in the neighborhood next to her - so now her neighborhood is barely usable B13 only when it had B2,4,5,13,66 before) she has to turn LTE off to hold a call around her house even outside. EvDO still functions fine at 2Mbps and she can hold calls, and i'm sure they'll fix it with more microcells but they are nowhere near ready to shut off CDMA here.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I may be reading too much in this, WRT the international roaming. Could it also affect people with phones that don't support Verizon VoLTE who travel and would have otherwise roamed on GSM/UMTS. Such as an iPhone 5s, etc.

Not allowing travelpass purchases next year?
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I may be reading too much in this, WRT the international roaming. Could it also affect people with phones that don't support Verizon VoLTE who travel and would have otherwise roamed on GSM/UMTS. Such as an iPhone 5s, etc.

Nah, GSM/UMTS roaming will be fine. This only pertains to CDMA

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post

Some of those devices could probably roam on LTE data as well.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    ... I still have issues in a lot of "basement" condos/apartments) I have to shut my LTE off to even be able to hold a call that does not drop.... they are nowhere near ready to shut off CDMA here.
    Here as well (Upstate NY)... and not rural, but in the heart of the city of 150,000.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast