Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 151

Thread: Verizon Wireless Delaying CDMA Retirement?

  1. #106
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,605
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cc333 View Post
    Here in rural Northern California, there are still many areas which only have 1x service.

    Granted, there is more LTE than there used to be (and, in town and a few other isolated spots, it actually works!), but it's far from being everywhere.

    c
    Where are you in NorCal? I'm in Mendocino County, we have AT&T, Verizon, U.S. Cellular and T-Mobile.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    No offense but is there a law saying Verizon HAS to provide you coverage?
    Well, no. This is just my opinion about how things should be (I felt the same way when AT&T shut down their 2G a couple years ago).

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    If no other carriers do it was should Verizon be forced to?
    There's no reason. I was just basing my thoughts on my understanding that Verizon, in particular, has oftentimes had better overall coverage in rural areas than the others, at least during the past decade or so. If no other carriers are wishing to maintain 2G, then there's no reason for Verizon to not follow suit and likewise deprecate and stop supporting it as well, and I most certainly won't stand in their way. That doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Just trying to understand the logic where rules apply to Verizon but not at&t or T-Mobile or Sprint.
    My thoughts apply to ALL of the major carriers, of course! (it would be completely illogical and irrational to expect certain rules to apply to one carrier but not the others, and if I implied that I believe otherwise, I must apologize for any confusion!)

    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Where are you in NorCal? I'm in Mendocino County, we have AT&T, Verizon, U.S. Cellular and T-Mobile.
    I'm right next door in Lake County, which has the odd addition of having some fringe Sprint coverage (primarily in the Lakeport/Kelseyville area) in addition to all the others. One thing I've noticed around here, is that between the trees and the mountains, CDMA still often works where 3G and LTE don't, as I tried to explain in my last post. Granted, when Band 5 gets refarmed for LTE, the situation will likely improve drastically, but until then, CDMA is the best, most reliable means of connecting to the network, and I don't understand why they can't keep at least some of it around (T-Mobile, for instance, attempted to appease those with older 2G-GSM IoT and M2M devices by keeping a tiny sliver of their 2G spectrum live, so the impact to it's 4G and 5G is relatively minimal; this, of course, has had the nice side effect of helping out those wh wish to keep an older 2G-only phone going for a bit longer. Why can't Verizon do something similar? If T-Mobile can do it, it muxt not be technically very hard?)

    c

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,605
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cc333 View Post


    I'm right next door in Lake County, which has the odd addition of having some fringe Sprint coverage (primarily in the Lakeport/Kelseyville area) in addition to all the others. One thing I've noticed around here, is that between the trees and the mountains, CDMA still often works where 3G and LTE don't, as I tried to explain in my last post. Granted, when Band 5 gets refarmed for LTE, the situation will likely improve drastically, but until then, CDMA is the best, most reliable means of connecting to the network, and I don't understand why they can't keep at least some of it around (T-Mobile, for instance, attempted to appease those with older 2G-GSM IoT and M2M devices by keeping a tiny sliver of their 2G spectrum live, so the impact to it's 4G and 5G is relatively minimal; this, of course, has had the nice side effect of helping out those wh wish to keep an older 2G-only phone going for a bit longer. Why can't Verizon do something similar? If T-Mobile can do it, it muxt not be technically very hard?)

    c
    Cool! I'm in Redwood Valley. Yep, that one, tiny site Sprint put up outside of Lakeport about 15 years or so ago, it's coverage area is so small it's a joke, and, considering where they located it, they likely just put it up to say they have "service" in RSA 344 (Mendocino, Lake Counties), so the FCC wouldn't pull their license. Sprint still has no sites on US 101 between Cloverdale and Eureka, almost 200 miles, they roam on USCC for service, they're a joke in rural NorCal, and much of the rural west.
    Last edited by ilvla2; 09-05-2019 at 07:43 AM.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    52
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is about a 10 mile section of my daily commute that only has Verizon 3G...
    Personal: Sprint Apple iPhone 6 (A1586) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium 500 running iOS 12.4.1 with Sprint 36.1 and PRL 55071 and modem firmware 7.80.04 and SIM card version 63.09a
    Work: Verizon LG G2

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,605
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    There is about a 10 mile section of my daily commute that only has Verizon 3G.
    Where is that?

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    718
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cc333 View Post
    I'm right next door in Lake County, which has the odd addition of having some fringe Sprint coverage (primarily in the Lakeport/Kelseyville area) in addition to all the others. One thing I've noticed around here, is that between the trees and the mountains, CDMA still often works where 3G and LTE don't, as I tried to explain in my last post. Granted, when Band 5 gets refarmed for LTE, the situation will likely improve drastically, but until then, CDMA is the best, most reliable means of connecting to the network, and I don't understand why they can't keep at least some of it around (T-Mobile, for instance, attempted to appease those with older 2G-GSM IoT and M2M devices by keeping a tiny sliver of their 2G spectrum live, so the impact to it's 4G and 5G is relatively minimal; this, of course, has had the nice side effect of helping out those wh wish to keep an older 2G-only phone going for a bit longer. Why can't Verizon do something similar? If T-Mobile can do it, it muxt not be technically very hard?)
    Why can't Verizon keep CDMA around? It costs a lot of money to maintain the network, and it limits the selection of phones they can offer, and drives the costs of them up. CDMA is dying, and yes, they will lose rural coverage as a result of pulling the plug on 3G, just like they lost a lot of rural coverage from pulling the plug on analog.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    52
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Where is that?
    Middle of nowhere outside of Waco TX.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    682
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Cool! I'm in Redwood Valley. Yep, that one, tiny site Sprint put up outside of Lakeport about 15 years or so ago, it's coverage area is so small it's a joke, and, considering where they located it, they likely just put it up to say they have "service" in RSA 344 (Mendocino, Lake Counties), so the FCC wouldn't pull their license. Sprint still has no sites on US 101 between Cloverdale and Eureka, almost 200 miles, they roam on USCC for service, they're a joke in rural NorCal, and much of the rural west.
    Hopefully this’ll change after the T-Mobile buyout.

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,858
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Why can't Verizon keep CDMA around? It costs a lot of money to maintain the network, and it limits the selection of phones they can offer, and drives the costs of them up. CDMA is dying, and yes, they will lose rural coverage as a result of pulling the plug on 3G, just like they lost a lot of rural coverage from pulling the plug on analog.
    there's also other devices like alarm systems and NTP servers in data centers tha still rely on CDMA - https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32...ork-Retirement

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,448
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    there's also other devices like alarm systems and NTP servers in data centers tha still rely on CDMA - https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32...ork-Retirement
    We've already talk about those ad nauseum. Verizon is keeping open 1.5X1.5 MHz and 2.5X2.5 MHz slices open that they can't use for LTE anyway. So they can shut down CDMA and still provide service to these devices.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,605
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Hopefully this’ll change after the T-Mobile buyout.
    I'm actually against the merger. Regardless of what happens, though, we'll still have 4 carriers here, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular.

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,448
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I'm actually against the merger. Regardless of what happens, though, we'll still have 4 carriers here, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular.
    US Cellular is nowhere close to being a national carrier. Very few people can get their service. if Sprint really doesn't have an effect on competition US Cellular certainly doesn't

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,605
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    US Cellular is nowhere close to being a national carrier. Very few people can get their service. if Sprint really doesn't have an effect on competition US Cellular certainly doesn't
    I was only pointing out we will still have 4 carriers here, nothing more, nothing less. As for size, they're the 5th largest carrier in the US.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    610
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    There is about a 10 mile section of my daily commute that only has Verizon 3G...
    It is areas like this which need to be upgraded before CDMA is shutdown.

    I have an Iphone 6S on Verizon Wireless. It has HD Voice so it will continue to work as long as VoLTE is enabled on voice.

    The CDMA shutdown is excellent for consumers and handset vendors alike. I am hoping the next models will forgo CDMA and use it for additional improvements and to standardize phones better.

    I am looking for a replacement phone with dual sim over volte in the near future that works with Verizon and may go with an android based phone instead. I will be looking for one without CDMA. The iphone’s wont have 5G until 2020 and the newer iphones tend to be very overpriced for the features I am looking for.

    As far as I am concerned, CDMA is dead in all global markets. Verizon is shutting CDMA down as are the remaining CDMA in other nations like KDDI in Japan and SKTelecom in South Korea and others as well.

    GSM had more global availability so it may still be useful in certain countries that haven’t upgraded their networks. HSPA is still active as well. Will be interested to see which bands are on the newer devices.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,448
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I was only pointing out we will still have 4 carriers here, nothing more, nothing less.
    Using that logic then we'd have 5 because you left out C-Spire. if you meant you specific area the point is moot because USSC existing in less than where 10% of the population lives is not going to affect how at&t or Verizon charges or what plans they offer.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AT&T Wireless, Cingular: CDMA has advantage!
    By Xirc in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 03:31 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:58 PM
  3. AT&T Wireless delays new Motorola V600
    By NYPD in forum Motorola
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:22 AM
  4. Verizon Wireless delays world phone introduction
    By AnythingBUTROAM in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 02:58 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2002, 06:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks