Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone XS Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

The DOJ is requiring T-Mobile and Dish to support eSIM

The Department of Justice may have just done more to eliminate those little plastic SIM cards you have to use to get your phone to work on a wireless carrier than all of the efforts of Big Tech over the past four years. That’s because it is requiring Dish and T-Mobile to support eSIM technology as a condition of its merger approval.

Thoughts?
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    The Department of Justice may have just done more to eliminate those little plastic SIM cards you have to use to get your phone to work on a wireless carrier than all of the efforts of Big Tech over the past four years. That’s because it is requiring Dish and T-Mobile to support eSIM technology as a condition of its merger approval.

Thoughts?
    My opinion I see it as a good thing. Because this makes them more likely to stick to the conditions of the merger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Don't know much about eSim but I think it is build in to the inside the phone to eliminate the Network Sim. Will that have any effect on dual sim phones like make them only work with one network at a time?

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Don't know much about eSim but I think it is build in to the inside the phone to eliminate the Network Sim. Will that have any effect on dual sim phones like make them only work with one network at a time?
    I doubt it actually for the dual Sim card cell phones because Electronix Sim card adaption is pretty slow. So am I opinion I highly doubt it will be affected at all. For a while to come at least.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've had an esim on my postpaid line since early December without any problems. I want to see phones that have the ability to have a 2 or more esim option. Also the ability to have the same number as an esim on two or more different phones so your daily phone is easy to switch back and forth by just going into Settings.

It's somewhat hard to believe the Feds are this progressive and are seemingly making a big deal out of the esim implementation.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I've had an esim on my postpaid line since early December without any problems. I want to see phones that have the ability to have a 2 or more esim option. Also the ability to have the same number as an esim on two or more different phones so your daily phone is easy to switch back and forth by just going into Settings.

It's somewhat hard to believe the Feds are this progressive and are seemingly making a big deal out of the esim implementation.
    Yeah on my old pixel two XL I had a project fi eSim Verizon line with no problem

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't have a problem if they are required to be able to adopt it... I do have an issue if SIM cards go away.
    Currently, I can take my SIM card, and just stick it in another phone that is T-Mobile / unlocked and supports the bands and I'm good to go.
    If I'm not an eSIM... would I have to call / use an app to 'migrate' the SIM ?
    This may not be much for some, but imagine if your phone is ... dead (broke/battery/whatever) and you're out in the boonies somewhere, but have a spare phone with you. You can 'phyiscally' swap SIMs and go.
    With an eSIM.. you are SOL as you have a dead phone, and one w/o service - except 911.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I don't have a problem if they are required to be able to adopt it... I do have an issue if SIM cards go away.
    Currently, I can take my SIM card, and just stick it in another phone that is T-Mobile / unlocked and supports the bands and I'm good to go.
    This may not be much for some, but imagine if your phone is ... dead (broke/battery/whatever) and you're out in the boonies somewhere, but have a spare phone with you. You can 'phyiscally' swap SIMs and go.
    With an eSIM.. you are SOL as you have a dead phone, and one w/o service - except 911.
    I agree.

I've posted what I would like, and it requires an esim number to be allowed on more than one phone, inactive until switched on by the user. So you are using phone A, decide to take phone B out, and just open settings to make the number active in phone B, and now it's the device using your line. I suspect this type of system cannot be difficult to implement and that the capability is already developed, just not available to the public yet.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think it’s nice for the gov’t to be proactive on that front. I feel eSIM adoption needs to get better, especially with MVNOs and no-contract options.

I do feel phones still need a physical SIM slot for at least a couple more generations, even if the phone has an eSIM. The current inability to switch between eSIM devices in the event of a device malfunction (among other reasons) is a step backwards.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    I think it’s nice for the gov’t to be proactive on that front. I feel eSIM adoption needs to get better, especially with MVNOs and no-contract options.

I do feel phones still need a physical SIM slot for at least a couple more generations, even if the phone has an eSIM. The current inability to switch between eSIM devices in the event of a device malfunction (among other reasons) is a step backwards.
    Never understood the excitement over eSIM. This is like the built-in NAMs of analog cell phones of the 1980s. I was jealous of GSM phones when they were first introduced in the USA because you could move your service from device to device without calling your provider.

I get the eSIM from a space saving perspective, but I don't see how mandating it for T-Mo is protecting anyone.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Never understood the excitement over eSIM. This is like the built-in NAMs of analog cell phones of the 1980s. I was jealous of GSM phones when they were first introduced in the USA because you could move your service from device to device without calling your provider.

I get the eSIM from a space saving perspective, but I don't see how mandating it for T-Mo is protecting anyone.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    With the iPhone, it is a way to get natively 2 phone numbers for your phone on 2 carriers. Though 2 actual sim cards would be better in many people's opinions.

And apparently you can have more than 1 number associated to the eSIM, though only 1 can be enabled at a time.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am left wondering why the carriers are in no hurry to implement esim tech into their systems?

I suspect that they have some valid fear that users will do what I do, and that's use another service or line for data when a capped data plan is approaching it's threshold for data charges. I have two spare lines that I can gain 1.99Gb each from to keep my Kickback discount on my primary line. I can roam in foreign countries with my home number active and use data from a cheaper local sim while roaming. It has to be more than this though. Maybe somehow they lose control of sim locking a device when an esim is activated?

It HAS to be about the Benjamins though, I'm sure of that.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I am left wondering why the carriers are in no hurry to implement esim tech into their systems?
    Hanlon's Razor would suggest that they're just big, dumb, fat, and lazy. They've been using SIM cards forever and a half, their staff is familiar with the ever-shrinking little chips, so they just keep using them.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I agree very much. Forcing esim is a very bad idea. And is yet another example of a destructive government mandate that has no business being there and harms the public interest.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I agree very much. Forcing esim is a very bad idea. And is yet another example of a destructive government mandate that has no business being there and harms the public interest.
    Your post implies the switch to be to esim ONLY phones. I don't believe that is what is being mandated. The current iPhone models with dual sim capability do quite well with a physical and electronic sim. This duality will probably continue for several years due to their being so many lines out there with only a physical sim card and no desire to convert.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast