Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When/IF T-Sprint is FINAL what will happen to Sprint & TM MVNOs?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

When/IF T-Sprint is FINAL what will happen to Sprint & TM MVNOs?

I'm concerned about the pricing & viability of all flavors of MVNOs not just the TM & Sprint ones.

I worry that now that most see the merger sailing through. And Sprint won't be pushing prices to the bottom that a LOT of MVNOs will be closing shop.

Any estimates of when/IF the merger is FINAL FINAL that the MVNOs will have the negotiated prices not renewed? Time wise?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not likely any real changes will happen anytime this year. Far too early to speculate until Tmobile/Sprint make an announcement.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    From what I've recently read all the Sprint MVNOs plus Sprint Prepaid are going to be taken over initially by DISH network (notwithstanding any private sales of companies like Boost), which as part of the deal is getting into the business (finally) of being the new fourth national carrier. DISH is also taking over the 800 MHz part of the Sprint spectrum holdings. Lots of changes to work out.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    From what I've recently read all the Sprint MVNOs plus Sprint Prepaid are going to be taken over initially by DISH network (notwithstanding any private sales of companies like Boost), which as part of the deal is getting into the business (finally) of being the new fourth national carrier. DISH is also taking over the 800 MHz part of the Sprint spectrum holdings. Lots of changes to work out.
    Sprint MVNOs are not being taken over by Dish. Only Sprint's in-house prepaid brands Boost, Virgin and Sprint Forward are. Sprint MVNOs like Ting, Tello and Twigby have MVNO contracts with Sprint. When T-Mobile's acquisition of Sprint closes those contracts will be with new T-Mobile.

The acquisition isn't expected to close until late this year. When T-Mobile acquired MetroPCS it took them a year after the deal closed before significant network changes started and another year before the legacy MetroPCS CDMA network was completely shut and all the Metro spectrum was repurposed as T-Mobile GSM UMTS and LTE. Sprint is 6 times as big as Metro was so it will probably take more than 2 years to integrate its network. Because few Sprint phones support VoLTE, when T-Mobile shuts down Sprint's CDMA and EVDO, most former Sprint network customers, including Sprint MVNO customers will need new phones.
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don’t expect changes on any MVNOs for at least a couple years, unless TMUS/Sprint contracts expire after the merger closes.
    Metro though will have to get better competing with Dish, Visible, and Cricket. Maybe it’s time T-Mobile spurs their prepaid subs to Metro.

T-Mobile does have some good MVNO contracts already (especially with Tracfone), so I doubt they will increase the wholesale rates on those for a little while.

I really hope that MVNO competition gets better, and especially those on VZ or AT&T.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @Yeswap: That's what I get for attempting to comment in the wee hours of the morning when I'm half asleep. You are, of course, correct. I should've double-checked what I was trying to write about.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The only thing I am worried about is T-Mobile terminating Sprint SERO accounts...
    Sprint Apple iPhone 6 (A1586) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium 500 running iOS 12.3.1 with Sprint 36.1 and PRL 55071 and modem firmware 7.70.01 and SIM card version 63.09a

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    The only thing I am worried about is T-Mobile terminating Sprint SERO accounts...
    That’s a good chance of happening. SERO was more or less deprecated for SWAC.

SWAC will probably stay for a few years (pricing not eligibility I imagine), as it is a currently available option.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    New TMobile will honor all Sprint mvno contracts:

"Likewise, the company will honor all reseller agreements that Sprint has, including a deal with cable provider Altice. "

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-a...hanks-to-dish/

But what about when these come up for renewal? Will Tello be offering 1 cent a minute and other low rates as a TMobile mvno? I am not so sure.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-28-2019 at 11:28 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    ....But what about when these come up for renewal? Will Tello be offering 1 cent a minute and other low rates as a TMobile mvno? I am not so sure.
    Exactly my concern as well is specifically Tello.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm concerned about what will T-Mobile do with their own prepaid service.

I've got three T-Mobile prepaid lines.

One is the $3 a month plan and I have two Legacy Gold lines with ridiculously high balances on them.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    I'm concerned about what will T-Mobile do with their own prepaid service.

I've got three T-Mobile prepaid lines.

One is the $3 a month plan and I have two Legacy Gold lines with ridiculously high balances on them.

Right - Ting just renewed its Sprint contract for another year so probably these contracts are only one year at a time.

Ting also cancelled its TMobile contract because it felt TMobile was being unreasonable. That does not augur well.

Ting is not a major factor in pricing, I am aware. I am only mentioning them as a source of clues in this particular case as to carrier pricing practices and how these might end up affecting Tello, Red Pocket, etc.

Arguably the real reason FreedomPop sold out was that they could see this coming.

However, the whole market will be radically different because Boost will be part of Dish and be a TMobile network based MVNO immediately (only 3 months after the merger closes)! That's what the agreement says. They will only service the Sprint network for "legacy customers." That's what it says.

Well, if Boost/Dish is going to treat Sprint's network as "legacy only" immediately, I suspect the same may be true of MVNO'as as well. So the whole MVNO market will be totally shaken up in very short order. It is very hard to see clearly what the consequences will be. But there are probably a *lot* of major players who would like to get rid of Tello's downside pressure on pricing.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-29-2019 at 03:27 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Another difficulty in my location is Sprint voice coverage is superior to TM's almost unusable coverage.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Right - Ting just renewed its Sprint contract for another year.
    Is this public information or do you have an inside line? Just curious.

Also any info on the Verizon switch - timing, what prioritization level, etc?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Still wondering if I will have voice service at home once Verizon shuts off the 3G my Sprint phone is using for voice...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast