Thread: Received a pic while data was off and no WIFI

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Received a pic while data was off and no WIFI

On my Rebel 4, I received a text with a couple of pics while driving. Data was off, no WIFI of course. How's it possible? I thought data had to enabled, or WIFI, for pic. (No, I don't read text messages while driving.)

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Some phones (like my LG Phoenix 2) will turn Data on/off automatically to send/receive MMS. If you want to experiment, turn Data and WiFi off, then have someone send you an MMS (text + attachment) or you send someone an MMS, you'll see the Data icon (4G/LTE) briefly shows up then goes away.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well I'm surprised there isn't an uproar over "wasting" data buckets.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Some phones (like my LG Phoenix 2) will turn Data on/off automatically to send/receive MMS. If you want to experiment, turn Data and WiFi off, then have someone send you an MMS (text + attachment) or you send someone an MMS, you'll see the Data icon (4G/LTE) briefly shows up then goes away.
    Tried the Data off test on my Moto G5+ and it does not turn the data (LTE) icon on sending or receiving an MMS. Attachments went through both ways. Thought that maybe MMS does not use the LTE data when enabled for VoLTE. Same result with VoLTE off though.

My Alcatel Raven does turn on/off the data icon during MMS. So, MMS data use indication is phone dependent.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LGester View Post
    Why is it a "waste"? Data is only turned on briefly to send/receive the MMS then automatically turned off again.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Why is it a "waste"? Data is only turned on briefly to send/receive the MMS then automatically turned off again.
    Some believe any data use is excessive. Maybe they should consider getting a flip phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just tried the WiFi/Data off. Sent myself a picture. Went thru. 4g icon never went on. Even turned off background data. Still went thru but no icon. I just keep data on all the time. Hardly any usage when I'm away from wifi.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    My Alcatel Raven does turn on/off the data icon during MMS. So, MMS data use indication is phone dependent.
    Yes, it appears to be phone-dependent. THIS VIDEO shows the indicator coming on/off on my Huawei Sensa. It doesn't show on my Moto E5, although an MMS came through automatically with Data off.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    More complaints about not getting/sending messages with data off.

If really bothered, disabling background data may stop it. Or a firewall app.

A different messaging app might give you control.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    More complaints about not getting/sending messages with data off.

If really bothered, disabling background data may stop it. Or a firewall app.

A different messaging app might give you control.
    Background data off won't change it. But most text apps in settings you can chose to not auto download MMS. You'll still get a text notice and can decide if you want to download it or not. With the notice you can send a separate sms to whoever sent it and ask what it is first. If it's from someone unknown (like spam) just ignore it without downloading. This quick data on/off without you even seeing it show is nothing new and is phone specific but MMS with data/wifi off is normal for any phone I had. I just turn off auto downlaod in the txt app so I can see who sent it and decide if I want to download. Group texts usually use MMS too.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    This quick data on/off without you even seeing it show is nothing new and is phone specific but MMS with data/wifi off is normal for any phone I had.
    Lots didn't/don't. just look at alL the posts about not getting MMS with data off over the last 3-4 years.

I don't recall my LG G2 as I had data always on soon after I got it (2015) and since. Never tested other phones here either as they keep data on.

O think it was an issue with the Verizon prepaid Moto E4 when using a GSM SIM. But it turned on automatically with a Verizon SIM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On my Rebel 4, I received a text with a couple of pics while driving. Data was off, no WIFI of course. How's it possible? I thought data had to enabled, or WIFI, for pic. (No, I don't read text messages while driving.)
    On the Rebel 4, "Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Messages > Data usage > Background data" is on by default, but can be turned off.