Thread: Verizon CDMA shutdown change

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon CDMA shutdown change

Looks like Verizon has pushed out the CDMA network shutdown a year. You will be able to keep using your device, but no changes in the account.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This was smart of them to do. They’re not ready for an LTE only network. Many areas need improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    This was smart of them to do. They’re not ready for an LTE only network. Many areas need improving.
    Details on network improvements? Aside from some VoLTE phone compatibility issues, the network seems to be working fine. Many report their reception is better on LTE than on CDMA in fringe areas.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't know anything about this. I read the link provided, but I'm confused about my phone.

My phone is a 10 y/o flip phone - Verizon Samsung SCH-U350. Does it lose service December 31, 2020? It looks like they're saying the CDMA network will still work until then. Do I need to port my number to a new phone before that date or before January 1, 2020? Sorry, the wording is confusing to me because I'm not really into cell phones and don't keep up with that stuff. I just need a phone for emergencies and texting a couple times a month.

As far as buying a new phone goes, will phones sold by Page Plus still work? A phone like the Alcatel MyFlip?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That phone will be a paperweight after CDMA is shut down. Verizon is moving all phones to LTE networks. You can still use your phone until they completely shut the older network down. You will be getting offers from Verizon strongly urging you to upgrade your phone. No need to worry about it yet with the extension until 2020.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The Alcatel MyFlip is good cheap replacement for people that need to switch because of this. All the phones that Tracfone sells for PagePlus on their site will support the this changeover. So that is something that you don't need to worry about.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by blilb View Post
    As far as buying a new phone goes, will phones sold by Page Plus still work? A phone like the Alcatel MyFlip?
    Like was said above, just go down to your local store like BestBuy that sells a Tracfone Alcatel MyFlip (Vzw version A405DL...I think they all are Vzw SIMs). Same phone and SIM as what you'll get straight from Page Plus and activates just fine on PP with the SIM that comes in it. Fully compatible with the new requirement.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by blilb View Post
    You can continue to use the present phone to end of 2020, however if anything happens to the PP account you will not be able to get it re-activated. Non-VoLTE activations are already halted. Yes, you can use any phone from the Tracfone companies that runs on Verizon.

Hard to say what basic phones will be offered ongoing. Currently there is only the MyFlip for Verizon service. You might consider getting one while they are still available, and sit on it until deciding to activate. $20 most anywhere.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    The Alcatel MyFlip is good cheap replacement for people that need to switch because of this. All the phones that Tracfone sells for PagePlus on their site will support the this changeover. So that is something that you don't need to worry about.
    I can confirm this. I bought a $15 Tracfone MyFlip from Best Buy and activated it on PagePlus PAYG. The SIM also works in my Moto G7 Power.
    Donald Newcomb