Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Moto e5 vs G6

I have been very happy with my new Moto e5 which I got from HSN for $70. I have had it 3 weeks or so. Today, I help a friend activate a moto G6. A phone that I wonder if I should have purchased as I use the camera alot.
    I dont like the new place they put the fingerprint reader but oh well, I can get used to it. The G6 has a funky fast charging cable which I assume is also a data cable, making all my other cables obsolete for it. Is there a converter cable? The G6 has a glass back and although I use a very sturdy case, I have to wonder about that. I see the G6 has gorilla glass 3 screen. How about the e5? Any other points I should consider? I understand about the memory and processor.
    (is this what I would need to make the old cables work in an emergency?
    https://www.amazon.com/USB-Micro-Con...ronics&sr=1-14
    Last edited by Coyote Chris; 07-30-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The G6 has a Type C connection vs Micro USB. You can get little adapters on ebay. I think that will let the essentials through, but Type C is supposed to have special abilities when used as designed.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    I have been very happy with my new Moto e5 which I got from HSN for $70. I have had it 3 weeks or so. Today, I help a friend activate a moto G6. A phone that I wonder if I should have purchased as I use the camera alot.
    I dont like the new place they put the fingerprint reader but oh well, I can get used to it. The G6 has a funky fast charging cable which I assume is also a data cable, making all my other cables obsolete for it. Is there a converter cable? The G6 has a glass back and although I use a very sturdy case, I have to wonder about that. I see the G6 has gorilla glass 3 screen. How about the e5? Any other points I should consider? I understand about the memory and processor.
    The G6 is using USB C for charging and data transfer. You can Google it to see its advantages. There are adapters available that will allow you to use that cable for existing USB micro devices or to use existing cables with the USB C devices. I have both types of devices and use the USB C cable/charger with an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ARKTEK-Adapte...mi%2Caps%2C268

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The G6 is a lot better overall than the E5. Similar to my G5 Plus, which is an outstanding phone.

The front mounted fingerprint sensor was also used on the E4 and G5, and is more useful than the rear mounted sensor. These have One Button Nav, which replaces the screen located navigation buttons. Also can turn on/off the sleep screen without using the power button. Great feature!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    The G6 is using USB C for charging and data transfer.
    USB C might be better for TurboPower charging. My G5 Plus did not work so well with the 4 pin USB TurboPower charger, so I use a standard one now.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ...The G6 has a funky fast charging cable which I assume is also a data cable, making all my other cables obsolete for it. Is there a converter cable? The G6 has a glass back and although I use a very sturdy case, I have to wonder about that. I see the G6 has gorilla glass 3 screen. How about the e5? Any other points I should consider? I understand about the memory and processor.
    (is this what I would need to make the old cables work in an emergency?
    https://www.amazon.com/USB-Micro-Con...ronics&sr=1-14
    There are USB-A to USB-c cables that you can plug in existing AC adapters. They won't charge as fast, but they work.

The converters you found at Amazon should work. I found something that looks similar at a dollar store. I don't know if the dollar store ones pass data. They are pretty small and easy to misplace. My dollar store ones don't have the clip like the Amazon ones.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There are USB-A to USB-c cables that you can plug in existing AC adapters. They won't charge as fast, but they work.
    Standard charging power supplies don't have the multiple step down voltages that a TurboPower does.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The G6 is a lot better overall than the E5. Similar to my G5 Plus, which is an outstanding phone.
    I disagree. The G5+ is better than the US versions of the G6. The SD 6xx CPU vs 4xx is big reason. They corrected that with the G7.

The G6 is better than E5 in some respects (faster 4xx CPU, maybe more RAM (varies), screen density/resolution) but price/performance favors the E5.

Depends on what matters to you.

But right now I'd wait. See what deals come up in Nov, especially on the G7. Maybe even the E6 (I haven't looked at the specs close yet).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Standard charging power supplies don't have the multiple step down voltages that a TurboPower does.
    Sure, there is something different about the charger that comes with the G6 that makes it charge faster. I have been using a regular cellphone charger on mine for past eight months and it charges fine in a typical cellphone charging time.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Sure, there is something different about the charger that comes with the G6 that makes it charge faster. I have been using a regular cellphone charger on mine for past eight months and it charges fine in a typical cellphone charging time.
    Any particular reason why you don't use the G6 TurboPower USB C charger? I stopped using mine in the G5 because the USB 2.0 TurboPower charger did not seem to have very good control. Was not much faster than a standard charger, and the results were erratic.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I disagree. The G5+ is better than the US versions of the G6. The SD 6xx CPU vs 4xx is big reason. They corrected that with the G7.

The G6 is better than E5 in some respects (faster 4xx CPU, maybe more RAM (varies), screen density/resolution) but price/performance favors the E5.

Depends on what matters to you.

But right now I'd wait. See what deals come up in Nov, especially on the G7. Maybe even the E6 (I haven't looked at the specs close yet).
    I think your path is the best for me right now. Wait and see what is coming. I like picking the e5 out of the holster and hitting the back with my index finger at the same time. One hand. Fast. The fast charger is desirable, espeically since you can carry an emergency adaptor. Maybe something will come along with some better features I like soon. Is this a great forum or what?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The fast charger is desirable, espeically since you can carry an emergency adaptor.
    You can get fast charge (turbo/QC) with micro USB (like on the G5+). It's doesn't require USB-C. It requires phone support which the E series doesn't have as it's a considered a higher range feature. The CPU supports it, Motorola just doesn't enable it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have used the G6 for a few months and it performs well. I actually like the front fingerprint sensor. I can pick it up one handed and hit the sensor with my thumb.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    I have used the G6 for a few months and it performs well. I actually like the front fingerprint sensor. I can pick it up one handed and hit the sensor with my thumb.
    Are you using One Button Nav with the sensor? They changed that to a Nav bar on the lower screen of the rear sensor G7. Not sure how that compares to using a front sensor. I find using a thumb on the front sensor very awkward, but then doing most anything one handed seems awkward to me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Any particular reason why you don't use the G6 TurboPower USB C charger? I stopped using mine in the G5 because the USB 2.0 TurboPower charger did not seem to have very good control. Was not much faster than a standard charger, and the results were erratic.
    Inertia mostly.

I plugged the TurboPower charger in a place where I don't usually charge my daily phone while I was waiting for a case and USB-c cables for the G6. When the cables and case came I just plugged in a c cable in my usual charging spot next to the bed. Since I generally charge overnight, slower charging doesn't matter. I moved the Turbo charger to my usual place a couple of weeks ago after using the regular for eight months.

Away from home and in the car, I don't take the Turbo charger with me so I use regular phone chargers with USB-A-c cables.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast