Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Massive cellular data usage despite always being on wifi

Just trying to get some ideas. Started a couple of months ago and prompted a switch to unlimited data plan but have switched back because I was quoted incorrect pricing and hated the data throttling. They put me on some 20gb/month retention plan.

Looked at my data usage and it is through the roof. Several gigs a day despite only accessing apps and internet while on wifi. Doesn't make any sense. Just turned off all cellular data usage but that isn't practical long-term. Any idea why this might be happening? Any way to pinpoint the issue? Would a complete rest of my iphone help? The apps using the most data appear to be the ones I use the most. But again, I have been trying to only using them while on wifi.

This month is the first month we're back on a non-unlimited plan. After the weekend the data usage hub showed like 4gb of data over a day or two. So yesterday I went out of my way to completely avoid using phone unless on wifi at work and home. Woke up this morning expecting usage to be about the same but again another 2-3 gb gone. How often is the verizon data hub updating? Could this have been carry over still from the weekend? If not, it appears something is using cellular data while I am on wifi.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Check your phone settings. Sounds like the WiFi feature is turned off or not available when you are using data, you are not getting the data through your WiFi and are using cellular data. That is the only possible suggestion I can offer.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Check your phone settings. Sounds like the WiFi feature is turned off or not available when you are using data, you are not getting the data through your WiFi and are using cellular data. That is the only possible suggestion I can offer.
    thanks. it seemed that the wifi signal was on the whole time i was at work and at home but i will keep a closer eye on it. and i suppose that with cellular data turned off, i'll notice if there are any issues using apps or the internet when at home and work. will be really interesting to see the usage over the next day or two. found a thread on the verizon forums on this where people were having the exact same issue but of course no resolution.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    check all of your apps to update over WIFI connection only. security updates can use both data and WIFI connection see if your phone has a WIFI assist option like the iphone has that automatically switches to using cellular data when WIFI connection is poor.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Run a virus scan. Check you have no rogue apps.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Run a virus scan. Check you have no rogue apps.
    Thanks all. I toggled off background refresh. I also toggled off using cellular data for automatic downloads and updates. Odd though that this would be an issue now when it hasn't been in the past. But I know that stuff can change and glitches and bugs and things can happen and stuff can get stuck.

I have an iphone. I didn't think there was any way to run a virus scan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As soon as I rad the title I knew the OP had an iPhone this is a common issue with iPhones and has been for years. Apple thinks it's doing you a favor by turning off wi-fi shortly after you set your phone down and stop using it.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    As soon as I rad the title I knew the OP had an iPhone this is a common issue with iPhones and has been for years. Apple thinks it's doing you a favor by turning off wi-fi shortly after you set your phone down and stop using it.
    any more detail on this, or potential remedy? only started very recently and i've had iphones for years and years. wifi signal always showing it's on.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    and it's not an issue with the two other iphones we own. just mine.

Device(s)
    Iphone xr
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Simple solution when home & wifi available turn off data in settings

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittythepig View Post
    Just trying to get some ideas. Started a couple of months ago and prompted a switch to unlimited data plan but have switched back because I was quoted incorrect pricing and hated the data throttling. They put me on some 20gb/month retention plan.

Looked at my data usage and it is through the roof. Several gigs a day despite only accessing apps and internet while on wifi. Doesn't make any sense. Just turned off all cellular data usage but that isn't practical long-term. Any idea why this might be happening? Any way to pinpoint the issue? Would a complete rest of my iphone help? The apps using the most data appear to be the ones I use the most. But again, I have been trying to only using them while on wifi.

This month is the first month we're back on a non-unlimited plan. After the weekend the data usage hub showed like 4gb of data over a day or two. So yesterday I went out of my way to completely avoid using phone unless on wifi at work and home. Woke up this morning expecting usage to be about the same but again another 2-3 gb gone. How often is the verizon data hub updating? Could this have been carry over still from the weekend? If not, it appears something is using cellular data while I am on wifi.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Another poster said it - make sure WiFi Assist is turned off.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittythepig View Post
    and it's not an issue with the two other iphones we own. just mine.
    All I can say is this you can go to the Verizon Wireless website messageboard and go back 7-8 years and there are a tons of people that have this issue and the overwhelming vast majority of people that have this issue use iPhones.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks, all. Made a few changes in settings (including the wifi assist, but mostly just shut cellular data usage down completely). No apparent data usage yesterday (or minimal). Will start playing around with them and turning some back on and see if I can figure out the optimal combination of settings. Hopefully I can turn cellular data usage back on without seeing the same big jumps. I imagine the wifi assist and changing the background app refresh to only wifi will hopefully do it.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can just go into Settings then Cellular and see what app(s) used all the data.

If it's not something that needs to use cellular data, disable it for that app.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk