Thread: I keep getting spam calls

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I keep getting spam calls

I switched to Red Pocket Mobile and I had to get a new number. For 3 months I seem to average like 1-5 calls a day from unfamiliar phone numbers. A lot of the time the phone number looks similar to my number (The first number being the same). I never answer these calls and keep blocking them. There have also been a handful of times where my number and 18 other numbers are involved in a group chat. I don't know any of the people. I have signed up for the do not call registry, so I don't know why I keep getting spammed. Anything I can do to stop this from happening? Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Unfortunately, there's probably not a lot you can do about it except to change your #.

Those calls from "phone number looks similar to my number" are very possibly being originated from outside the US, which is probably why being "signed up for the do not call registry" isn't helping.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you are in group chats with numbers that you don't know and depending on what is going on in that group chat, the number could be from someone else, and the carrier recycled number. That could be why you are getting the other calls too. So if the number was a recycled number and the other numbers are true people trying to get a hold of the old owner, you could tell them that you just got this number and you are not the person that they are looking for. I had that happen when I got my number. Once in a while, I still get a phone call or two for the old owner.

Edit: If this is case like I said, the "do not call registry" will not help since the old owner of the number is in these other places, and the companies/people would not know that the number has changed hands.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    I switched to Red Pocket Mobile and I had to get a new number. For 3 months I seem to average like 1-5 calls a day from unfamiliar phone numbers. A lot of the time the phone number looks similar to my number (The first number being the same). I never answer these calls and keep blocking them. There have also been a handful of times where my number and 18 other numbers are involved in a group chat. I don't know any of the people. I have signed up for the do not call registry, so I don't know why I keep getting spammed. Anything I can do to stop this from happening? Thanks.
    there are apps you can try like Hiya to block spam calls - https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...k-spam-callers

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Don't forget that even if you signed up for the "Do Not Call Registry", that can take a few months to become active, and if the call is coming from overseas it won't help. As others mentioned, there are many applications you can download to help limit such calls. I use "Whoareyou" in conjunction with another application, "Youmail". There is no simple solution for this type of annoyance. It is no different than getting SPAM mail at your home or business mailbox or your email address.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am getting alot spam calls that are being spoofed to look like there are coming from a number similar to mines as well. usually the first 6 or 7 digits are the same as my number.

not much can be done about it i think.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I get calls like that all the time - on my google voice #.

Solution has been to add a callcentric number ($1/month) as a forwarding number, which then allows you to set up all sorts of filters. Say first 6 digits of the number are 123-456-xxxx. All calls that start with 123-456 get sent directly to voice mail. With CC, there's also ways of forwarding to nomorobo for free. Of if you actually get legit calls that start with 123-456, they can be added to a white list. Lots of options.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    I am getting alot spam calls that are being spoofed to look like there are coming from a number similar to mines as well. usually the first 6 or 7 digits are the same as my number.

There are apps for iOS and android that can block those calls and still let your contacts through.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I get calls like that all the time - on my google voice #.

Solution has been to add a callcentric number ($1/month) as a forwarding number, which then allows you to set up all sorts of filters. Say first 6 digits of the number are 123-456-xxxx. All calls that start with 123-456 get sent directly to voice mail. With CC, there's also ways of forwarding to nomorobo for free. Of if you actually get legit calls that start with 123-456, they can be added to a white list. Lots of options.
    There is another option (assuming you have Android phone):

Use this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ee.callblocker or this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erycallcontrol

They can block numbers by prefix/mask.

For example, you will be able to block 202-123-* (all numbers that start with 202123).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    With newer versions of Android you can set Do Not Disturb to only let contacts ring the phone. That's not a viable option if you need to receive calls from previously unknown numbers - Dr. office, children's school, etc.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    There are apps for iOS and android that can block those calls and still let your contacts through.
    The real solution will have to be done on the carrier side. Ever since I got a new number on a new plan, I get a recurring sex line call. I immediately stop/delete the message. When I blocked the number on the phone, I just notice later that it goes to voice mail. I "unblocked" it. And it appears to be every 3 days.

I'm not willing to listen through the message, or answer it and listen to it "live" to see if there is an option to "cancel". Which is probably just telling them I listened.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    The real solution will have to be done on the carrier side. Ever since I got a new number on a new plan, I get a recurring sex line call. I immediately stop/delete the message. When I blocked the number on the phone, I just notice later that it goes to voice mail. I "unblocked" it. And it appears to be every 3 days.

I'm not willing to listen through the message, or answer it and listen to it "live" to see if there is an option to "cancel". Which is probably just telling them I listened.
    100% agree. Carrier and government is the only one that can give us real solution about these scam problems. I also agree that we should not talk to them no matter what.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post

I now routinely ignore all calls that appear to be coming from the same exchange (first 6 digits).

for numbers I don't recognize otherwise (but don't match the first 6 digits), I pick up the call then immediately hang up. Invariably if it is a real call, the caller calls back.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I do almost the same thing. When I am in the mood for calls that I suspect is a robot call, I answer them and wait for a couple seconds before hang up. I am hoping that someone from the other end would switch over to an answered robot call for nothing. Also some robot calls would leave a message for non-answered calls. By answering the calls, I give them no chance of doing that and have less voice mails to filter through later.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Rick 880
    Thanks for posting, I’m going to try your method.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo