Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WTH? Tracfone - unlocked Amazon Moto g6 phone w/Alexa is uncertified?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

WTH? Tracfone - unlocked Amazon Moto g6 phone w/Alexa is uncertified?

Two weeks ago transferred SO's old phone to an unlocked Amazon Moto G6 with Alexa using new Tracfone SIM bought off Amazon for $1. Phone was and is using Verizon. Got the following message today when logging into account. Anyone have a clue what this is all about?

"Your phone is not certified for use on the network. You may continue using it, but removal of the SIM from your phone may cause it to stop working. We will notify you in the future of any updates."

Thanks for any insight before I contact Tracfone.

ETA: Did the transfer via chat. No problems including transferring the number, account balances.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is the phone working otherwise? Are you logging into Google or Alexa?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    SO hasn't complained so yes it has been working since the transfer without any issues AFAIK. SO would complain if it weren't since it's mainly used for business calls/texts. I am logging into my Tracfone account online which is where I'm seeing the message.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    SO hasn't complained so yes it has been working since the transfer without any issues AFAIK. SO would complain if it weren't since it's mainly used for business calls/texts. I am logging into my Tracfone account online which is where I'm seeing the message.
    Weird! You might contact TF chat and hope someone knows.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Weird! You might contact TF chat and hope someone knows.
    I seem to remember that in the past some very new BYOP phones have had activation issues? IMEI not in database? G6 with Alexa is not a new phone AFAIK and it did activate on Verizon. This maybe that but I'm thinking is this possibly due to some BYOP flag with the sunset of 3G? It's not a 3G phone obviously.
    Last edited by mathfaster; 08-01-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I seem to remember that in the past some very new BYOP phones have had activation issues? IMEI not in database? G6 with Alexa is not a new phone AFAIK and it did activate on Verizon. This maybe that but I'm thinking is this possible due to some BYOP flag with the sunset of 3G? It's not a 3G phone obviously.
    Is VoLTE (Enhanced 4G LTE Mode) working? On a Moto you should be able to find out by dialing *#*#4636#*#* (INFO menu), and choose Phone information. Voice Network Type should show LTE. Lower down there is a toggle for VoLTE Provisioned.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is VoLTE (Enhanced 4G LTE Mode) working? On a Moto you should be able to find out by dialing *#*#4636#*#* (INFO menu), and choose Phone information. Voice Network Type should show LTE. Lower down there is a toggle for VoLTE Provisioned.
    Did not check that with this phone but will later. It should be but will double check. I have done the check on other phones. I thought these days you cannot even activate a new phone unless it's VOLTE capable. This was activated 2 weeks ago within the new VOLTE rules. BTW, does Tracfone allow VOLTE to be turned on these days? I haven't kept up with TF as much lately as I used to.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Did not check that with this phone but will later. It should be but will double check. I have done the check on other phones. I thought these days you cannot even activate a new phone unless it's VOLTE capable. This was activated 2 weeks ago within the new VOLTE rules. BTW, does Tracfone allow VOLTE to be turned on these days? I haven't kept up with TF as much lately as I used to.
    Yes, phones will not activate unless VoLTE capable. However, sometimes the system will think the phone is capable, but VoLTE does not actually work. You can't always trust the network settings either. Better to check otherwise. One more check is if HD Voice is working, VoLTE is enabled. You would need to call another enabled phone using Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, phones will not activate unless VoLTE capable. However, sometimes the system will think the phone is capable, but VoLTE does not actually work. You can't always trust the network settings either. Better to check otherwise. One more check is if HD Voice is working, VoLTE is enabled. You would need to call another enabled phone using Verizon.
    Checked the phone info after keying in the code. Yes, the VoLTE provisioning flag is on. Need to find out if HD voice is working still.

ETA: "ENHANCED 4G LTE mode" is also ON which is also necessary to provision VoLTE. SO still needs to call another HD voice user on Verizon to check if "HD" shows up on the dial screen.
    Last edited by mathfaster; 08-01-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ETA: "ENHANCED 4G LTE mode" is also ON which is also necessary to provision VoLTE. SO still needs to call another HD voice user on Verizon to check if "HD" shows up on the dial screen.
    Looks like you are in good shape for VoLTE. If you have not used HD Voice before, it will be quite noticeable. As good as the best landlines. Someday hope it will be usable between carriers on MVNOs.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Looks like you are in good shape for VoLTE. If you have not used HD Voice before, it will be quite noticeable. As good as the best landlines. Someday hope it will be usable between carriers on MVNOs.
    I think so as I didn't do anything to set it up. All the flags were set when the phone was activated. Just don't understand why the uncertified message you see when you login online on a desktop/laptop under the phone entry. Thanks for your help. Once the SO confirms the HD message when calling her boss who's on Verizon and who confirmed they have an HD capable phone then it's on to Tracfone to find out why it shows. And things have been going so well with TF as late. Haven't had any issues adding date, time, etc. unlike the past where I had to get the FCC and BBB involved to get things fixed.
    Last edited by mathfaster; 08-02-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, SO called person with HD voice on Verizon (uses Verizon service not Tracfone/Verizon) and said they did not see "HD" during the call.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, SO called person with HD voice on Verizon (uses Verizon service not Tracfone/Verizon) and said they did not see "HD" during the call.
    I just sent you a Private Message about testing HD calls with me.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I just sent you a Private Message about testing HD calls with me.
    OK thanks. May do when the SO comes home with the phone. Also had another offer from a member yesterday. Great support group here. Appreciated.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Who didn't see the HD indication?

I expect it would show on SO's phone (the G6, as it does on the Moto E/G phones here) but no clue about the other, unknown phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast