Thread: No Carrier Phone

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score

No Carrier Phone

Would anyone here like something like this?

https://puri.sm/posts/what-a-no-carr...uld-look-like/

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    Would anyone here like something like this?

https://puri.sm/posts/what-a-no-carr...uld-look-like/
    I didn't read the article in full, but I think that's what I do already. Perhaps the "Librem" system would be even better or more advanced, but what I do now with data only works well enough.

I've used data only for voice and messaging since March, 2017, primarily with Google Voice #s + Hangouts on my cell phones, tablet, and computers, and with an Obihai using my old home phone system handsets.

I also do the same with my cell phones, tablet, and computers using TextNow, one of several similar systems, for which I chose a Canadian phone #, but again, it's voice and messaging over data only.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I didn't read the article in full, but I think that's what I do already. Perhaps the "Librem" system would be even better or more advanced, but what I do now with data only works well enough.

I've used data only for voice and messaging since March, 2017, primarily with Google Voice #s + Hangouts on my cell phones, tablet, and computers, and with an Obihai using my old home phone system handsets.

I also do the same with my cell phones, tablet, and computers using TextNow, one of several similar systems, for which I chose a Canadian phone #, but again, it's voice and messaging over data only.
    Yep, you're ahead of your time, Boz!

That's exactly what this Librem 5 is talking about, except not with Google Voice, because the Librem is apparently all about privacy. (It's a Linux phone aimed at the niche audience not wanting Google, Cellcos, etc. tracking their every move.)

I assume they're proposing setting up their own open source VoIP service to our with the phone, which you'd think use over WiFi and/or a data-only cell plan (just like you do with GV.)

That phone will be a hard sell, IMO, except to privacy advocates and the tinfoil hat crowd. Like most people, as much as I hate myself for the amount of privacy I've traded for convenience, I'm unwilling to go back! Even if the idea of a VoIP+data plan to save money catches on, there are plenty of ways to get there (as you've demonstrated) without buying a "weird" Linux phone that doesn't run popular phone apps.

Personally, I wish Google didn't cut off third party API access to Google Voice several years ago. I'd love to see an Android app that integrated GV service into the phone's native dialer and messaging apps, which Google seems unwilling to do. (Before Microsoft finally killed off the floundering Windows Phone OS, they built a really cool level of Skype integration into the OS, allowing you to use the device as a data only "Skype phone" with the native dialer and messaging app.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Yeah. You are exactly who I thought of when I read this. I've been using the same 2 google voice numbers for over 10 plus years now. I have as a home number and one as a cell but have never completely used data only. I just use very cheap deals I come across or use TracFone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It's a good idea, especially the privacy aspect, although even that may be unrealistic long term, but I guess I fall into the group that elecconnec described. I like the convenience of the Google "system" too much to move to a phone that doesn't have app support like Android, at least at this time. In the future...who knows?

Feedback Score
    Google deleted my Google voice number because I did not use it so now I need to create a new one because I plan to use it sometime. So if you don't use it often it might get deleted.

Google voice is good to talk to other phones numbers but if you just want to talk to someone over the Internet webrtc is free easy and needs no software other than a web browser. I think fewer know about webrtc and more use message apps like WhatsApp or Skype.

Feedback Score
    It's a fine idea but you can just get any Android phone that supports custom ROMs and use it without Google, can't you? What will this Librem phone offer? I think there may be more FOSS available for Android then the Librem will ever support.

Feedback Score
    Here is a video about the phone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-IRGdS2uMcc

I think you could use Android like you say because it is open source too but some prefer Linux because it is more free.

Feedback Score
    i'm liking this phone already !!! may have to pick one up !