Thread: Is there anything similar to WirelessAdvisor.com's "Cell Tower Gallery"?

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Verizon prepaid monthly
    Feedback Score

Is there anything similar to WirelessAdvisor.com's "Cell Tower Gallery"?

As I've posted a few places here on HoFo, I'm a beginner to the smartphone world, and am still developing my learning and information collecting methods, while still just learning how to use the phone. The play of forces determining how the phone behaves is much more complex than the personal computer world.

Before I can even start to understand the nature of the towers in my area that have Verizon service, I have to locate all the towers. The crowdsourced information I've found doesn't seem accurate, so I'm starting at the beginning to figure it out for myself. In other words, before being able to contribute to those projects, I have to know where the towers are, how to reach them, and drive circles around them.

Meanwhile I see that on the specific carrier's forums here, the savvy users can just look at a tower and by the make and configuration of the equipment, determine the carrier.

But is there any equivalent to WirelessAdvisor.com's geographically based "Cell Tower Picture Gallery"?
    https://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/g...ing-catalog.4/

(E.g., the iconic tower closest to me is https://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/g...and-bay-1.977/
    But that entry is somewhat old. I have more current pictures.)

I had planned to post one picture of each of the towers I've photographed there, and have all the rest of the pics for the towers on an image sharing site. Then refer to that site, as I post my questions here.

But, per a recent thread there, titled "Is Wireless Advisor dying?" they may be closing down soon.
    https://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/t...r-dying.87045/

So my question is if there is any forum here with that structure, or any other site that catalogs towers (and antennas) by geography?

Feedback Score
    That won't be enough to accurately depict your future experience.

Only testing yourself will be truly indicative.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=zapjb;17088127Only testing yourself will be truly indicative.[/QUOTE]

Right. I have folders on my hard disk with pictures of towers I've taken, based on AntennaSearch.com data, and tracked and noted in Excel spreadsheets. In the few months I've had the smartphone, AntennaSearch has gone from a radius of 2 miles, down from 4 miles. And I've seen three cell towers have work done to them, only one of which I've made "before" pictures.

I'm looking for a public place to post the pictures I'm accumulating, to be able to point out some for comment on HoFo.

The various carrier specific forums here have ad hoc pictures of towers and antennas, but in running threads, not organized by geographical location. E.g., if I were to want to see all that's been posted about the Verizon towers in Mobile, Alabama, there is no easy way to search for that here, or anywhere else it seems. The structure of WA's Cell Tower Gallery is a good way to do that, but seems like no one really used it.

I do plan to join and contribute to the MLS/OpenCelliD/Unwired Labs and CellMapper.net projects, to hopefully help correct their data.

But before exploring which towers are or are not Verizon, I need to know where the towers are.

AntennaSearch is like training wheels for those who haven't yet learned to use the FCC's own databases, but is a good start.

And I also have spreadsheets full of tests with decibels of strength on which band at what location, and have been learning how to chart all this on Google's My Maps.

It just seems odd that there is no public repository of such information.

Feedback Score
    I'm confused by your post. Don't worry you're not the first.

Are you just mapping antennas/towers?

Or do you care about your cell phone usability experience?

They are two different things.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    What I trying to figure out is why some places my web pages load slow, while other places they load at acceptable speeds.

Which Verizon antenna(s) my phone is communicating with is what determines the quality of my service, at that moment.

Since that info is not readily directly knowable, I find that I need to figure out how to determine the location of the Verizon antennas my phone routinely connects with. The crowdsourced locations of towers don't match what I see with my own two eyes.

What would be nice to have as a resource would be a searchable database of known towers, similar to what Wireless Advisors has, organized by state. If every tower out there had various people uploading actual photographs periodically, over time we would have a historic record of the antennas on all the towers, that anyone could search.

Then, there could be the discussions of which carriers are on that tower, referring to the picture.

For example. today I was trying to take pictures of a supposed Verizon tower, but it isn't possible to get very close to it.

Then later, I was at a Walmart, that had a very easy to photograph newer style macro tower, but very likely doesn't have Verizon antennas on it. Those pics would be useful for somebody, if not me, so I could look at a place where those tower pics would "go" I could upload them.

Similarly, maybe someone has already taken better pics of the supposed Verizon tower, then I could refer to them, not needing my own.

I've seen on some speed test discussions here on HoFo how people will look at Google Maps historical images of towers, to compare changes, but if some person had real pics uploaded to a database, that woudn't be needed. Google may not have pics for the time period needed, or have ones that are too blurry to be useful.

Once I know the locations of the actual towers in my area, I can then proceed to figure out whether they do or don't have Verizon on them.

Feedback Score
    Considering all this seems not as useful as real life testing of specific phones & carriers by far.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd10221 View Post
    What I trying to figure out is why some places my web pages load slow, while other places they load at acceptable speeds.

Which Verizon antenna(s) my phone is communicating with is what determines the quality of my service, at that moment.
    There are other reasons why web pages load slow that have nothing to do with your signal, antennas or Verizon.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    The third generation of wireless communications beyond digital PCS (2G) technologies. 3G wireless technologies allow for much higher transmission rates of voice and data to wireless devices leading to more useful services and a better user experience.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    A similar question is if there is a Verizon equivalent to S4GRU's Equipment Spotting forum at:
    https://s4gru.com/forums/forum/45-equipment-spotting/
    Described as: "The Equipment Spotting threads show pictures and information to help you spot network equipment in the wild, varied by OEM Vendor.

They seem to have a members area where even better information is available. (Members must mean paid for.)

Is anybody here familiar with that members area, and what additional information is there?
    And is any Verizon info mixed in, as there is some technical similarities, though Sprint seems to have more hobbyists/enthusiasts out there.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    In a more obscure place on S4GRU, there sort of similar Verizon equipment spotting thread:
    Home > Forums > The Everything Else Forum > General Topics > VZW Equipment spotting
    where at least one prominent HoFo poster has contributed with one post, while he has what must be hundreds here on:
    Home > Forum > US Carrier Discussion > Verizon Wireless > Verizon 4G LTE Speed Test Results: POST EM' HERE!

And the S4GRU Verizon equipment thread doesn't have whatever maps the Sprint members pay extra for.

So I'm back to my question if the Sprint S4GRU paid members are entering better info than gets onto public sites like CellMapper.net?

Meanwhile, I've seen commercial companies sell this info (cell tower location info) to other businesses.